GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Braided Hose Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/07, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Braided Hose Problems!

Ok I happen to be under the hood cleaning today and noticed a issue with the 5/8" Braided hose that is used for the driver side PCV line. Not sure why this happen but the hose actually collapsed in on itself. So i removed the hose and could not get it to go back to it's regular shape. So my next step was to simply replace the hose with a new piece. So i then cut the hose apart and it seems as though the oil blow by may have made the hose weak in one area and thus it collapsed.
Not sure if this is the reason for sure but the rubber did seem kind of gooey. Now i have only had these hoses on the car for maybe 500 miles and this happen. So has anyone else had this happen and have any of you checked your hose lately? I could not really tell by simply looking at it, I discovered it after cleaning some thing and ran my hand across the hose and it had a funny shape to it. Anyway when i cut the hose apart i found one small area that bubble up inside and sucked itself onto the other inside area of the hose. .
I used the Spectre Brand of hose and now I think i am going to try and locate a differant brand. Does anyone happen to know what the AN sizing is for a 5/8" hose???

SOLUTION BELOW

Ok so I went and checked the hose again after only a few day use and it was collapsed again. So i began thinking what i could do to resolve this issue. And here is what i came up with. Sorry no pictures it was all done on the fly so to speak. Thankfully I always save stock parts when i remove them from the car. I pulled out the box i keep them in and pulled out the stock tube, now i had already cut the stock snap on fittings off to use with the braided line, so I check to see if the original hard tube fits inside the braided line and it does. However the stock hard tube has a decent bend built into it and I was not sure that would work with the braided hose. I measured with my eye approx. how deep the stock snap on fittings go into the braided line and then kind of lined it up with the hard line. I then cut the hard line down removing more from the curved end than the straight end. If you still have the stock pipe you will understand when you look at it. I then spray the end of the braided line inside with some WD40 and also the hard line end and began shoving it into the braided line Things are going perfect. Then i get to the end and I cannot get the hard line to go any deeper. I then pulled out a 11mm Deep socket in 1/4" Drive and a small hammer. I then had my daughter hold the braided hose on end with the Anodized fittings still on for a flat surface and I stuck the socket onto the hard line and began whacking it with the hammer which drove it down deep enough to then put the stock snap on fittings back on. and wallah I think the problem will be solved. I cannot imagine this collapsing in.

Richard
Old 2/21/07, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Good info to have!

I just checked mine today when changing the oil. Still like the day I put it on. I the lines have been on there for 8-10 months or so.
Old 2/21/07, 11:56 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm just putting mine on and I haven't ran the engine yet but I did your little trick after I got home from work. It looks and feels solid.

Another little bit of information is the 07 GT's have a different Radiator hose run. They is a list of hoses sizes and lengths to buy if you want to do this that is floating in the forums but with an 07 don't buy the -24an and the -28an hoses at the lengths that are on the list. You will need 1 1/2" id (-28an I think) that is 36" long and 1"id (-18an I think) that is 24" long for the overflow tank bottom hose to a tee to the lower Radiator hose. Or just don't mess with the 1"id hoses (I wish I would have left it alone). i hope to complete my engine dress up by the weekend and will post some pictures.
Old 2/22/07, 05:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
When I put my braided hoses on , I wonder the same thing about oil deteriorating the PCV hoses. I've had them on quite a while and checked them several times and they appear to still be OK. I bought a cheap set at the local auto store and was wondering if the more expensive ones had better rubber ?
Old 2/22/07, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

The weird thing to me is that I have the same Spectre Braided hoses on my F-150 which is supercharged and have never had a problem one with them. So i don't know if maybe i just got a bad run on hose or what. I do know of only one other person that has had this happen. I had thought of purchasing some Earls line or one of the other higher end hoses but then i figured screw it just stick the stock tube inside this hose and be done with it.

RIchard

Richard
Old 2/22/07, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now this is really weird. I've had mine on for almost a year and 10k+ miles and no problems. All are solid, even the one I use for the Rad overflow, and that one gets really hot.
Old 2/22/07, 05:51 PM
Cobra Member

I agree it is very weird. Not sure what happen or why but I figured I should post up about it since many of us have this mod done and could be effected by the hose collapse.

Richard
Old 2/23/07, 07:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
My guess is that the rubber hose you have wasn't designed for engine oil or vapor. Vacuum hoses, coolant hoses, brake hoses, ATF hoses, engine oil hoses etc... are made of different rubber materials. I've had regular vacuum hoses MELT due to engine heat, and have used engine oil hoses in that application without any problems. I would recommend you check to see if the hoses you are using were designed for ATF and engine oil.
Old 2/23/07, 07:05 AM
Queen Of Nascar

My PCV line has done the same thing twice. Be aware that the hose can look just fine from the outside and still be crushed on the inside. I still have my original piece and plan on doing the same thing this weekend. The second time I replaced it, we thought of doing this but didn't.

Right now its colapsed inside and I don't tell any difference. The first time I had a squealing or whisting sound coming from it.
Old 2/23/07, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Well I am using the same hose that has been in the same type of applictaion on my F150 for about 3 years with no ill effects and on top of that the hose is about 3 times as long in my F-150.

Like Donna and I have said you really have to grab the hose and feel it to tell it is jacked up. Mine looked fine and I did not catch it until i had run my hand under it and felt that it was kind of sucked in.

Richard
Old 2/23/07, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
My hose still felt stiff
Old 2/23/07, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I replaced all my hose with the Spectreperformance steel braided ones and no problem at all. Spectreperformance is my sponsor, they sent me all my hose material in different size large rolls. I then measured all the hose and cut them to the corect length with a chop saw. so far no problem.
You just might have got hold of a bad hose. lol
Old 2/23/07, 08:00 PM
Cobra Member

5/8 is -10 (transalates to 10/16")
Old 2/23/07, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, Crapola, I stand corrected...the bottom of my drivers side PCV braided hose feels a bit flat. Not collapsed, but definitely not rounded like the top side. I don't think it's the oil/gases, I think it's the heat of the engine projecting up to the braids heating the hose and breaking down the rubber. Otherwise the complete hose would be like that, i.e., the top side as well.

Hmmm, now what? Hopefully I still have the stock hose somewhere and I think I'll try what 06GT4RAD did. Insert it into a braided hose. It's going to happen again, the hose melting underneath, but at least it won't affect the flow of oil/gases.
Old 2/24/07, 06:01 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally Posted by flamin ponyexpress
I replaced all my hose with the Spectreperformance steel braided ones and no problem at all. Spectreperformance is my sponsor, they sent me all my hose material in different size large rolls. I then measured all the hose and cut them to the corect length with a chop saw. so far no problem.
You just might have got hold of a bad hose. lol
No ones dissing Spectre, but I highly doubt 3 of us in different regions have gotten bad hose. I think its more to do with the quality of the hose, or as metroplex stated that its not designed for the application we are using it for.

Like I said before, to look at mine, it looks fine, its what happening to the rubber inside the braid.
Old 2/24/07, 10:16 AM
Cobra Member

I am certain the hose is NOT melting. Like i said I am using the exact same hose in the exact same application in my F150 and have never had one issue with it. I think the engine is pulling so much vacuum at this particular point that it is sucking the hose into itself which is the reason Ford most likely used a hard line for it. The first hose that collapsed I cut apart and once i cut the braid from around the hose itself it went back into shape, and looked brand new internally. Temperature should not even be an issue since the hose is suppose to be for coolant and such.

Richard
Old 2/24/07, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dly
I'm just putting mine on and I haven't ran the engine yet but I did your little trick after I got home from work. It looks and feels solid.

Another little bit of information is the 07 GT's have a different Radiator hose run. They is a list of hoses sizes and lengths to buy if you want to do this that is floating in the forums but with an 07 don't buy the -24an and the -28an hoses at the lengths that are on the list. You will need 1 1/2" id (-28an I think) that is 36" long and 1"id (-18an I think) that is 24" long for the overflow tank bottom hose to a tee to the lower Radiator hose. Or just don't mess with the 1"id hoses (I wish I would have left it alone). i hope to complete my engine dress up by the weekend and will post some pictures.
Good luck on your engine dress up, I replaced all my radiator hoses with Spectreperformance Magna Cool series hoses, the hose material is a rib design and it can be bent in any formation , you just got to take your time and it can be routed in just about any form.If you click on any of the pictures and then maximize it ,you will be able to see it better.
Attached Thumbnails Braided Hose Problems!-vortechdyer4-018.jpg   Braided Hose Problems!-spectrenew-001.jpg   Braided Hose Problems!-vortechdyer50.jpg