GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/06, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bottom end?

i am looking to rebuild the bottom end of my 07 mustang for a supercharger. i know i need the pistons, rods and crank to all be forged. i am wondering if anything else is needed when rebuilding the bottom end. i am also looking for information on the best parts to use. if you all could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 8/17/06, 10:21 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had to do it myself, but one of our members don had his motor grenade on him.

Here are some reference threads
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=44844

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=44364
Old 8/18/06, 03:25 PM

thanks that helped
Old 8/18/06, 04:19 PM

another question. once i get new pistions, rods and a new crank in how should the motor hold up with the stock block and supercharger on? also how much boost can i safley run?
Old 8/18/06, 04:58 PM

The stock 3V block is actually quite robust. No doubt it will hold just about anything you want to throw at it... unless you're going for 1000hp or something crazy like that. Also, when building a SB, don't scrimp on the details. Use ARP rod bolts and head studs, for example. And make sure you know exactly what kind of supercharger and boost levels you're looking for. Things like piston-to-cylinder wall clearance needs to be set up properly. You should also consider your future cam plans when selecting a piston. I had reliefs cut in mine just in case I decided to go radical with cams some day. I also had teflon coating added on the skirts and I have tight tolerance pistons (because the 3V knock sensors are extremely sensitive and I didn't want piston slap causing problems). I also have thermal coating on the piston domes to help control detonation. And if you plan on pushing the rpm envelope, you may also want to upgrade your valves and springs in the heads. The stock oil pump is actually the best choice (because of the VCT), but adding an extra capacity oil pan can't hurt.

As to how much boost... that depends on many other factors. It's not just a shortblock issue. For starters, you'll need to address the fuel system for example. You can only go so far on pump gas, before detonation starts being an issue. Also, the stock fuel pump has it's limits. You'll either need to upgrade the pump or add something like the KB BAP. And I'd recommend an 8-rib pulley/belt set-up if you are going to go to something like 12psi or higher.

And once you build a "bullet proof" shortblock and throw lots of boost at it, then what is the next weakest link in the power train? Trans/clutch, rear end, suspension? If you look at my full mod list, you'll see that I basically replaced everything in the drivetrain to make it as strong as possible. Oh... and speaking of the trans, you'll probably have to replace the flywheel (or flexplate if you have an auto trans) to an 8-bolt setup. As far as I know, the 3V motors have a 6-bolt crank (although I've read where some of them had an 8-bolt, but that's unconfirmed).

Bottom line... first clearly define what your goals are and then identify a reputable engine builder to walk you through all the options available. If your power goals aren't too extreme, then you could also look at several companies who offer "off-the-shelf" built shortblocks. That might be a good choice for guys who are looking to keep the power under say 600rwhp or don't have a good engine builder they can use.
Old 8/18/06, 05:18 PM

i am looking at the Kenne Bell 2.6L. it looks like the best to me because you get everything you need right from them. i have been thinking about 9#-12# for the boost. just didnt know how much the engine could handle after the rebuild. Also what type of pistons would i need? and as far as builders i have been thinking about livernois motorsports. they are only 30 mins from my house and all.
Old 8/18/06, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by bigblackgt
i am looking at the Kenne Bell 2.6L. it looks like the best to me because you get everything you need right from them. i have been thinking about 9#-12# for the boost. just didnt know how much the engine could handle after the rebuild. Also what type of pistons would i need? and as far as builders i have been thinking about livernois motorsports. they are only 30 mins from my house and all.
The KB with 12psi would be a very nice set-up!! Talk to Mike Schropp at Livernois... he's a great guy to work with (and tell him I said so!!).
Old 8/18/06, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by don_w
The KB with 12psi would be a very nice set-up!! Talk to Mike Schropp at Livernois... he's a great guy to work with (and tell him I said so!!).
Thanks for all the help don. I have read all of your threads on your engine rebuild and its great that you got back on the road. also just one more question. What are a good set of pistons for the mustang?
Old 8/18/06, 06:09 PM

There are several good pistons out there. One thing to make sure you get is a thicker top ring land. The top ring land on mine is about 3x thicker than stock. I went with a custom set of JE pistons myself (but they weren't cheap). My decision was based on a recommendation from Dougan's Race Machine. They do the machine work for (and/or build) a LOT of race engines, including the 4.6L race motors for John Mihovetz.
Old 8/18/06, 06:16 PM

a lot of people have been using the JE pistons. so i think i shall go that route.
Old 8/18/06, 07:10 PM

anyone have an opionion on the livernois motorsports full rotating assembly. it looks like it includes everything you need for a forged bottom end. http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...t.phtml?p=1000
Old 8/18/06, 09:10 PM

I suggest talking to atleast 3 engine builders. It'll give you a good feel as to what's out there. It really depends on what you're looking to do. You could search different mustang forums and see who everyone has gone with. Each engine builder has their brand of components that they like to use. Some like Diamond pistons, CP pistons, JE pistons etc. I was looking for a bit more hp than most kit poweradders provided. It was important to me to find one of the top builders that could build mine to meet the goals I set. You should have goals set in your head before talking to a builder, b/c that's one of the first things they'll ask. Then figure on a little leeway to grow. I promise that when you get to your goal, you'll want a little more...or you have more control than the most of us!
As far as my builder, I went with Boss 330 Racing. Nice guy, great work, industry standards pricing.
Old 1/14/08, 08:19 PM

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead but I found this as I was searching. I need suggestions on getting my stock gt engine ready for a whipple supercharger. I don't want anything too extremem, something under 600hp is what I'm thinking.

1 - Could this easily be accomplished with a rotating assembly?
2 - Can I do this myself or do I need to take it to a shop?
3 - I am in Indianapolis so any shop recommendations?
Old 1/15/08, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Tyler, I can answer your third question. Check out Modular Depot. They are located across the river from Cincinnati, so thats about a 2 hour drive from you. I know Ken can hook you up with a whipple and engine work. http://www.modulardepot.com

Whipple Deals: http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=whipplespecial

Engine builds: http://www.modulardepot.com/article_...articles_id=11
Old 1/15/08, 07:52 PM

Sweet deal - thanks for the links.

Greatly Appreciated