GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best short throw shifter for 05-up GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/07, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only interesting thing on the MGW for me is the adjustability. And that's definatly not worth the price increase. Maybe the building materials/quality will mean something to you, but to me, the other shifters aren't physically breaking so why does it matter? Pro 5.0 for me.
Old 4/2/07, 05:44 PM
eci
Banned

NVH is a big issue to me. No other aftermarket shifter addresses this the way the MGW kit does.
Old 4/2/07, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you actually understand how the shifter George has designed is engineered you'd all agree it's the best idea yet (in theory). He has actually addressed all of the issues that I can think of when pondering the remote design Ford gave us. I do still have to put mine in and try it, but I know what I'm looking at and feel confident it will be the tops in shifters.

As far as materials go..........having the remote design which is just the way it is with these cars makes it necessary to have all precision machined parts and top shelf hardware in order to reduce any sloppy feel that is naturally going to exist with not having the shifter just bolt to the top of the tranny like the older cars.

I think this car's remote set up was a major challenge for all of the aftermarket shifter producers because no matter what materials are used, the remote shifter in itself has a serious ''unhooked'' feel right from the get go. After using several of these shifters including my current Triax, I think it's safe to say the MGW shifter is just plain better because George did not rush it to market and actually gave a **** how it works and addressed every one of the issues I have with what Ford gave us which is a longer car that's better than the last stangs, but has a price to be paid which is the remote shifter.
Old 4/4/07, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
wjones: Ford did not choose the Hurst for the Shelby GT, Shelby did. Ford has nothing to do with that.
Ooops, sorry, I didn't realize that Ford didn't choose it. I find it odd (and almost unbelievable) that Ford has *no* say in what Shelby does with the car after it leaves, but for all I know, you could be correct.
Old 4/4/07, 02:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have around 6000 miles on my Tri-Ax, no issues. Can shift it with one finger. Stock boot and **** are used as well unless you get an aftermarket ****.
Old 4/4/07, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
I think this car's remote set up was a major challenge for all of the aftermarket shifter producers because no matter what materials are used, the remote shifter in itself has a serious ''unhooked'' feel right from the get go. After using several of these shifters including my current Triax, I think it's safe to say the MGW shifter is just plain better because George did not rush it to market and actually gave a **** how it works and addressed every one of the issues I have with what Ford gave us which is a longer car that's better than the last stangs, but has a price to be paid which is the remote shifter.
The major problem with the 05 shifter is not necessarily that it was done remotely, but that it was not tied fully to the transmission as has been done in earlier cars. If Ford had tied the shifter to the tranny instead of the body it would have been much better. That would have prevented the problems with the wide open throttle binding that the current piece of trash shifter has.
I had a 72 Gran Torino that had a 351CJ in it with a Hurst shifter and 4 speed transmission. The shifter was mounted externally to the side of the transmission with 3 rods (if I can remember correctly) running forward to the side of the tranny. It was silk smooth with a spring assist to help with 2nd to 3rd shift.
I loved that Hurst.
Old 4/4/07, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pville piper
The major problem with the 05 shifter is not necessarily that it was done remotely, but that it was not tied fully to the transmission as has been done in earlier cars.
You just described a remote mounted shifter. The 01-04 GTs used a top-loading shifter on the TR-3650, while the 05-up GTs use a remote mounted shifter on the TR-3650.
Old 4/4/07, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
The major problem with the 05 shifter is not necessarily that it was done remotely, but that it was not tied fully to the transmission as has been done in earlier cars. If Ford had tied the shifter to the tranny instead of the body it would have been much better. That would have prevented the problems with the wide open throttle binding that the current piece of trash shifter has.
I had a 72 Gran Torino that had a 351CJ in it with a Hurst shifter and 4 speed transmission. The shifter was mounted externally to the side of the transmission with 3 rods (if I can remember correctly) running forward to the side of the tranny. It was silk smooth with a spring assist to help with 2nd to 3rd shift.
I loved that Hurst.
That's what mean about being a remote mounted shifter......not tied to the transmission.
Old 4/4/07, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

So I am wondering if the MGW shifter will have any clearence issues with a 4" aluminum driveshaft. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 4/5/07, 07:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The GT shifter needs more than 1 stabilizer bar leading to the tranny. I think the shifter in the GT500 might be designed better due to the extra stabilizer bar.