GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best lowering springs for 05 Vert?

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/10, 04:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Best lowering springs for 05 Vert?

I know all the manufacturers out there. All the prices. But what I don't know is who's spring in best for my 05 Vert. I have new Koni shocks and struts from Sam Strano sitting in the garage waiting for install. Nows the time for springs. Here is my goals. I don't race. Don't want to slam it to the ground. Just want to level it out...with a little better handling than stock. But I don't want to scrap the curb everytime I leave. Please remember I have an 05 Vert! Lowered Vert owners please respond.
Thanks Scott
Old 3/3/10, 04:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Scott, FYI I chose the FRPP kit because I wanted to KEEP the rake and the FRPP kit gave an equal drop on all 4 corners. So, I think that's one you need to stay away from if you want to level it out and I don't think FRPP makes a different kit for verts.
Old 3/3/10, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Scott, FYI I chose the FRPP kit because I wanted to KEEP the rake and the FRPP kit gave an equal drop on all 4 corners. So, I think that's one you need to stay away from if you want to level it out and I don't think FRPP makes a different kit for verts.

We are both old aren't we? I also like the rake look my car has. I would be okay to keep the same rake look but just lower it down maybe 1 " or so. Sorry I don't remember. Do you have a Vert? And I am also not sure if the Verts have the same springs as the coupes. The manufacturers don't seem to make any different part numbers for the Verts.
Old 3/3/10, 05:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
We are both old aren't we? I also like the rake look my car has. I would be okay to keep the same rake look but just lower it down maybe 1 " or so. Sorry I don't remember. Do you have a Vert? And I am also not sure if the Verts have the same springs as the coupes. The manufacturers don't seem to make any different part numbers for the Verts.
Yeah, I don't know if verts come from Ford w/ different stock springs than the coupe or not. I have a coupe, but I don't remember seeing any different aftermarket springs for vert v coupe, but that was a couple years ago now. The FRPP kit drops it 1.5" all around, so it may be a bit more aggressive than you're looking for. I know pics would help, and I'd be glad to show, but mine's a coupe w/ 20"s and probably wouldn't help too much.
Good luck!
Old 3/3/10, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey John....yeah those 20's are going to give a totally different look to the car than I think I am looking for. If I had any sense I would just put out an....

A.P.B. for Sam Strano!!!

Help. Your suggestions?
Old 3/3/10, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with Vogtland springs from hotpart and Koni Str's. Just be mindful, when lowered, the Stang makes a lot of noise from the pipes bumping...

Last edited by Darth Stang; 3/3/10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 3/4/10, 12:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Darth Stang
I went with Vogtland springs from hotpart and Koni Str's. Just be mindful, when lowered, the Stang makes a lot of noise from the pipes bumping...
Uhh...really. I won't like that at all. How much drop are your springs?
Old 3/4/10, 01:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a Vert Scott, but I do have knowledge on the subject. I have the Eibach Sportlines. You WONT want them because it's pretty low. If I were you I would do the Eibach Pro kit, which will drop you about an inch. I'm pretty sure you would'nt like how low mine is though. It's like 1.6 in front and 1.9 in rear. Rails corners though like nothing else.
Old 3/4/10, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Scott, the pipe bumping can be reduced or eliminated totally by adjusting the over-axle pipes. I had this problem initially after I installed the Steeda Sport springs, but after spinning the pipes it went away. You have to then readjust the mufflers too after spinning the pipes but the whole thing took maybe 30 minutes.
Old 3/4/10, 05:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the pipes bumping?
Old 3/4/10, 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

If you want a mild drop, how about the blue Roush's as they lower the front and rear ~1 inch. I ran the rears for a year on my vert and really liked the amount of drop, but I can't really comment on handling as I still had stock shocks and stock front springs.
Old 3/4/10, 09:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
What are the pipes bumping?

The over-axle pipes can bump the axle if they're not angled properly.
Old 3/4/10, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My over the axle pipes are not stock. They are Borla and I have had issues from time to time getting the clearance correct with the stock springs. The Borla pipes have much less bends than the stockers and come closer in areas now. I hadn't considered making that situation worse by lowering it.
Old 3/4/10, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had Ebach Pro Kit on my previous 06 vert with stock shocks. Looked great and I only would bottom out on high speed bumps. I also had GMS cat-back that had very little bends like you talk about and had no problems with bumping noise.
Old 3/4/10, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Scott, I had the Borla over-axle pipes too, wasn't a problem after tweaking them a little.
Old 3/4/10, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
what about the steeda ultra lites? IMO The pros make for a pretty bumpy ride. I mean you feel every little undulation and bump in the road.
Old 3/4/10, 02:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was looking at the Roush springs the other day. Like I said I don't want to slam the car and really would like an equal drop on all 4 corners. Being old school I guess I like the rake look just not with as much gap over the tires. I believe the Verts sit lower than the coupes anyway. At least that has been my observations. Not sure if it is because they have different springs or because they weigh in 100 lbs more. I have owned this car 5 years next month and never have considered lowering it until now but that's only because I am changing out the shocks and struts. So timing in right. And I appreciate all the imput and warnings. So it seems a minimum drop is best. Also, I really don't want a rough ride as a result. Where's the best pricing on Roush springs or are they price fixed? I have also looked at the Vogtland that Sam sells.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=75&ModelID=5

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/4/10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 3/4/10, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Here's the cheapest I have seen for the Roush springs as you can get the front and rears for ~$230 shipped. http://www.carparts.com/ROUSH-REAR-C...2304_10618.car

And as a point reference, my rear fender lip was at ~ 27 3/4 in. with the rear Roush springs installed... which is just shy of an inch lower than stock.

Last edited by Doogie; 3/4/10 at 06:23 PM.
Old 3/4/10, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Vogtland are good springs and with .8" front, 1.2" lower on Mustang GT I think is what your looking for. You will lose a bit of that rake. I may look into a set for my car
Old 3/4/10, 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Scott -

Koni adjustable shocks with Vogtland springs sitting on 18X9 wheels with 255/45 tires. Not a convertible but you get the idea. I like the stance and the car rides well.

Quick Reply: Best lowering springs for 05 Vert?