GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best 5 Speed Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/09, 05:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
I have the Hurst, but as others have stated, there is an issue with fast shifting under high rpm load. I did the CHE K-member brace and it fixed it, but I have mad NVH. I still love the notchy feel and the look. By the time you buy anything else and "fix" it, you'll have paid for your MGW.
Do you have just the CHE K-member brace or plus the torque limiters?
Old 1/11/09, 06:08 AM
GT Member

Hurst! It has the look and the raw notchy feel of the 60's and 70's muscle cars.
Old 1/11/09, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

MGW is hands down the only shifter I can confidently hit 3rd gear with consistantly. This is my 3rd shifter and it's the bomb! I had a Triax which made 3rd gear shifts a nightmare at almost 500 rwhp. I know you saw the ad from Steeda that claims ''brand x'' shifter has twice the number of parts than Steeda's triax, but they launched that ad campaign because the Triax shifters started to pile up on their shelves after the MGW unit was released. I wouldn't expect them to say anything else.

The MGW is manufactered from all stainless steel and billet material with all top shelf hardware. I've personally removed at least a half dozen other aftermarket shifters for guys and replaced them with the MGW unit. You'll love it.
Old 1/11/09, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckieduck
Alot of guys are missing one of the biggest problems with shifter on our cars. It is a remote shifter. You can improve things with a new shifter that uses polly springs to stiffen things up a bit, but are still missing the biggest improvement for shifting. Under hard shifts at WOT the engine/transmission move around too much and you miss shifts. Anyone with a Hurst or Steeda or 5.0 shifter will never complain if you install torque limiters and polly engine mounts. I have a CHE K-member brace and torque limiter. All shifter problems are gone. I get tired of reading all these shifter threads with everyone slamming everyone elses shifters. I disagree that the MGW is the best. It's a great shifter, but no better than the Steeda or Hurst once the torque limiters are installed.
I agree. To mount a shifter to a moving engine and a solid body must be creating this crazy 3rd gear lockout in high torque situations. The trans relies on the twist motion of the shift shaft to properly gate it into which ever gear is required. With the shifter being attached solidly to the body, it's twisting by not being able to follow the movement of the engine/trans and upsetting the natural movement of the shift shaft. A billet shifter probably helps some as it's harder to distort it, but finding a way to mount the shifter completely to the trans/engine would in my opinion be better. Racers using torque limiters and poly mounts are alternatives at the cost of NVH but everyday drivers might not like that.
Old 1/12/09, 12:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chuckieduck
I personally like the Hurst Billet shifter. It's loads better than there regular Mustang shifter. I have driven one with a Steeda shifter and no complaints there. I have driven a Terminator with a MGW shifter and it's pretty smooth. Don't know if that carried over to the S197 model. Alot of guys are missing one of the biggest problems with shifter on our cars. It is a remote shifter. You can improve things with a new shifter that uses polly springs to stiffen things up a bit, but are still missing the biggest improvement for shifting. Under hard shifts at WOT the engine/transmission move around too much and you miss shifts. Anyone with a Hurst or Steeda or 5.0 shifter will never complain if you install torque limiters and polly engine mounts. I have a CHE K-member brace and torque limiter. All shifter problems are gone. I get tired of reading all these shifter threads with everyone slamming everyone elses shifters. I disagree that the MGW is the best. It's a great shifter, but no better than the Steeda or Hurst once the torque limiters are installed.
Except that with the mgw you can use either the new shift **** thread pattern or the old one, can adjust the height and angle of the handle, and self adjust the throw from anywhere in the range from about 40% of stock to the stock throw...
Old 1/12/09, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

The MGW has a torsion mount at both ends of the remote beam which allows for drivetrain twist without affecting the shifter operation.
Old 1/12/09, 08:07 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

No 5.0 fans?

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
I never hear anything but good things about the MGW, especially how smooth it is. But how is it when it comes to slamming it into gear? I know they all come with stops to avoid issues, but I am pretty agressive when I shift, especially at the track. How does it feel when you really slam it into gear?
The PRO 5.0 is the only one that comes with the external stops so you can adjust them yourself. I love slamming gears with this baby. That being said not many run it since it's pretty pricey but I'm nothing but happy with it. It has enough notch you know it's in gear but smooth enough it's not annoying. I always hear people complain about the 5th gear shift but it's not bad at all, don't use that gear much myself but I say they just want something to complain about Good luck on your search, everyone likes something different so I suggest you feel as many as possible!
Old 1/12/09, 08:13 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EagleStroker
The PRO 5.0 is the only one that comes with the external stops so you can adjust them yourself. I love slamming gears with this baby. That being said not many run it since it's pretty pricey but I'm nothing but happy with it. It has enough notch you know it's in gear but smooth enough it's not annoying. I always hear people complain about the 5th gear shift but it's not bad at all, don't use that gear much myself but I say they just want something to complain about Good luck on your search, everyone likes something different so I suggest you feel as many as possible!
You can get adjustable external stops w/ MGW as well.
Old 1/12/09, 08:15 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I didn't know that, thanks for correcting me! I've never heard anything bad from MGW, but I've had good luck with my shift
Old 1/12/09, 08:17 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EagleStroker
I didn't know that, thanks for correcting me! I've never heard anything bad from MGW, but I've had good luck with my shift
I've got the optional kit, but to be honest with you, I don't even remember if I have it installed. MGW doesn't recommend using it, but has it for people who want it. I think I installed the stops, but have them all the way out. I'd have to pull my boot to check. If I remember right, MGW doesn't recommend them due to the tranny having internal stops, and they're concerned about someone adjusting them to a point where the transmission isn't fully engaged and could potentially cause damage.
Old 1/12/09, 08:21 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I've heard that also. I had my tuner do the fine tuning on the shifter when I had it on the dyno so that I knew I wouldn't hurt anything! It's more of an added insurance for me which I like.