GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best 5 Speed Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/09, 02:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best 5 Speed Shifter?

Hello & good morning. Newbie here with first question. Just bought a 2007 GT CS convertable and have been looking at short throw shifters. Have had them on other previous cars and love em. Problem is that there's so many of them for the Mustang, and its hard to follow input from the many forums.
Basically my question is, which is the best in terms of operation and quality? Money is not a factor, and this is for a daily driver, not a racer. But I do want the best, trouble free, quality shifter.
I know there is the search function but threads usually start off and than wander off the subject.

Looking for some good input, and thanks.
GrumpysGT
Old 1/10/09, 04:00 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's almost impossible to say which is 'best':
it'll come down to personal taste as to look and feel at the end of the day. I think the Hurst comp shifter looks and performs best, though others dislike the slightly notchy feel and added noise/vibration...but that's just my opinion.
Old 1/10/09, 04:47 AM
V6 Member

Yeah, I realize "best" is subjective. Just that with some other cars I've owned there were 2 or three choices. The Mustang aftermarket is like the Harley aftermarket---there's so much that sometimes its hard to weed through it all to seperate the good from the garbage.
From what I've read, the MGW, Steeda, and Hurst seem to be the most preferred. Just wondering, from you guys that have a short shifter, would you buy the same one again, given the choice?
I'm just one of those car nuts that likes to get the best, and will research it from those that are knowledgable.
GrumpysGT
Old 1/10/09, 05:06 AM
V6 Member

I would...but then I know guys who swear by the MGW and wouldn't go back to a Hurst/FRRP...

I think the Steeda/Hurst-Comp/FRRP will be almost the same in terms of feel as they have a common design...
The Hurst Billet may feel sturdier as the design is more 'beefy'...
The MGW (according to those that use it) is much smoother and quieter and has a broader adjustment range...
Old 1/10/09, 05:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Do a search, and you'll find tons of info on this subject. I've had the Hurst and the Pro 5.0 and now the MGW. MGW has the most adjustablility and the quitest, and looks the best, with two different thread patterns for the shift **** to choose from, which opens up your choice of shift *****.

If you like short and notchy, and like to occassionaly get locked out of third gear on WOT shifts, get a Hurst.

If you like bolt action rifle style shifting, get the Pro 5.0.

If you like lots of adjustability, options, able to change shift length, shifter arm height and position, and the quitest that even comes with multiple layers and types of materials for eliminating NVH, go for MGW.
Old 1/10/09, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Staying with your post Brad, have you read anything about the newer Hurst billet shifter?? I like the old school look of my original Hurst, but I also have missed 3rd from time to time, and I've have had a problem with the stalk coming loose after a night of pounding it at the track.
Old 1/10/09, 06:37 AM
V6 Member

I agree with everyone else..."best" is subjective. After much deliberation, I went with the MGW and was/ am very satisfied. I like the fact that I could bolt up my stock Bullitt shifter (12mm) to their shifter. I will say this, there are a lot of parts with the MGW (I think 64 to be exact) so be prepared for a longer than ususal install. Overall impression for me, I wouldn't buy anything else based on the other shifters I have driven in S197's.

Bottom link for me...smooth as silk.
Old 1/10/09, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I never hear anything but good things about the MGW, especially how smooth it is. But how is it when it comes to slamming it into gear? I know they all come with stops to avoid issues, but I am pretty agressive when I shift, especially at the track. How does it feel when you really slam it into gear?
Old 1/10/09, 08:47 AM
V6 Member

Like most, I can be pretty aggressive too. Never had any issue. BTW, another selling point is the overall adjustability of the product.
Old 1/10/09, 08:56 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hurst guys like the looks and feel of the Hurst, but as far as features, performance, engineering, and even quality, my vote's for MGW.
Old 1/10/09, 11:04 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I can see the future and as all Hurst/MGW threads go this one will eventually turn a little ugly...

I have owned the Hurst Competition Plus (not the billet) and I switched to the MGW because of the rave recomendations of others. I love the MGW and wish I had spent the few extra dollars to get it in the first place. I went with the old school looks of the Hurst to start with, but the performance of the MGW and the product itself makes the difference for me. Besides I just reused my Hurst shift ball because you can get the MGW in the stock thread pattern or the thread pattern used by Hurst. My advice would be to realy look at the comments of those who have had at least both or more than one of the shifters and keep in mind some members who post here are often selling a particualr type of shifter in the parts for sale thread with regularity and to me at least can be a little biased.

Good luck as it is a very subjective question and has been a point of contention here many times.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/10/09 at 11:06 AM.
Old 1/10/09, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool "MGW"

Because you can always just set it up to look completely stock under that factory GT shift ball. While you will be using drag racer quality power shift abilities. During those spirited driving shift times! Just MHO in this on going best brand debate.. To each their own!! CalStang

Last edited by CalStang'07; 1/10/09 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Icons
Old 1/10/09, 12:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
We have probably 5 long threads on this subject. Do a search.
I can tell you that overall the MGW has the most fans that are long term satisfied.
Old 1/10/09, 12:41 PM
V6 Member

I thank you all for the input. Based on your info I'll go with the MGW. Via magazine ads and product info, I was leaning toward the Steeda, thinking fewer parts, fewer problems, the K.I.S.S. principal. But I bow to those who have been Mustang owners longer than I have.
I'm not new to playin with cars, my last was a Subaru Outback XT Turbo, making about 285 HP. Would easily outrun and out-handle a GT. Just got tired of small cars and wanted the feeling of the cars I grew up with in the 60's. I guess this is what is called a MID-LIFE CRISIS, and I'm enjoying it.
GrumpysGT
Old 1/10/09, 12:43 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Since you are new to the forum check out Taco Bill's How-To Thread. A wealth of information for the mod bug.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=441678

It has an MGW install thread and you can see the shifter in great detail. Also his how-to's are very detailed and have a lot of photos for the novice or the pro.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/10/09 at 03:28 PM.
Old 1/10/09, 01:48 PM
GT Member

i have the MGW. no complaints. it shifts so smooth and 2nd to 3rd is a breeze
Old 1/10/09, 05:22 PM

I personally like the Hurst Billet shifter. It's loads better than there regular Mustang shifter. I have driven one with a Steeda shifter and no complaints there. I have driven a Terminator with a MGW shifter and it's pretty smooth. Don't know if that carried over to the S197 model. Alot of guys are missing one of the biggest problems with shifter on our cars. It is a remote shifter. You can improve things with a new shifter that uses polly springs to stiffen things up a bit, but are still missing the biggest improvement for shifting. Under hard shifts at WOT the engine/transmission move around too much and you miss shifts. Anyone with a Hurst or Steeda or 5.0 shifter will never complain if you install torque limiters and polly engine mounts. I have a CHE K-member brace and torque limiter. All shifter problems are gone. I get tired of reading all these shifter threads with everyone slamming everyone elses shifters. I disagree that the MGW is the best. It's a great shifter, but no better than the Steeda or Hurst once the torque limiters are installed.
Old 1/10/09, 06:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The "best shifter" is the one you like the best. Just like beauty, it's all in the eye (or in this case hand) of the beholder.
Old 1/10/09, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Hurst, but as others have stated, there is an issue with fast shifting under high rpm load. I did the CHE K-member brace and it fixed it, but I have mad NVH. I still love the notchy feel and the look. By the time you buy anything else and "fix" it, you'll have paid for your MGW.
Old 1/10/09, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

MGW. Worth every penny. I've had the hurst comp plus and for me it was a complete piece of crap. I've tried the pro 5.0, steeda, and triax. Once the mgw gets "broken in" I prefer it the most over the rest by far. Quality, reliability, adjustability, looks.

Quick Reply: Best 5 Speed Shifter?