GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bama V 2 tunes

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/16, 04:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

Just because AM has 3000 plus attend their annual Mustang shows, doesn't prove they tune more Mustangs than any of the other tuning companies who have been in the industry much longer than AM has..

And if they do ? lets see some real proof, as in 3rd party unbiased facts instead of a bunch of marketing hype claims..

As for claiming they provide crappy tunes are concerned, I never said that in my previous post.. I just clearly stated that IMHO their tunes have not been the same since AM purchased Bama from original founder/tuner: Doug Studdard..

I'm also fully aware of AM/Bama offering remote tuning via data logging in which I did provide them with a data log.. However despite the revisions that were made, my Air/Fuel was still off and running too lean..

That was when the decision was made to make the switch to Brenspeed.. I then had the Brenspeed tune checked by one of my local tuners who confirmed it was indeed spot on and that no additional revisions/adjustments were required.. And btw: we're also talking about a Mustang with FI, not N/A..

The bottom line here is this.. I'm not here to bash AM/Bama and perhaps when it comes to N/A and light mod applications, AM/Bama offers some pretty decent tunes, but when it comes to more serious mods such as cams and especially FI ? I'll only trust running a mail order custom tune from somebody who has a proven R&D track record such as Brenspeed and JDM engineering..
I completely gree with you about N/A and lightly bolt on mods. That has been their notch and why they are highly successful. A large majority of mustsng enthusiasts are just looking for some extra power and bolt on mods to give their stsng some extra go.
Old 1/7/16, 05:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks guys, been a while since there was anything to read in this section
Old 1/7/16, 05:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I believe I know the person whom your referring to Glenn ! is it by any chance Chris Rose who came over from Tillman Speed to work for AM ?
Yes sir
Old 1/7/16, 01:52 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,088 Likes on 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
Yes sir
I knew it had to be Chris you were referring to Glenn lol. As a matter of fact, I was considering taking my car down to Tillman Speed to be dyno tuned while he was still working for them as one of their custom tuners.. But during that time I was running Doug's Bamachip tunes which was long before AM acquired his business and was really happy with his tunes, so I pretty much didn't feel it was necessary to make a switch at that time..

However I do recall that Chris had a great reputation as a custom tuner during his time over at Tillman Speed and would not hesitate in having my car custom dyno tuned by him, if he were still custom tuning cars at the present time

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/7/16 at 01:54 PM.
Old 1/7/16, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I bought my intake and tuner from him. It was a great tune as are Bama's as far as I am concerned. Car runs strong! I just need to pass emissions which has been impossible since I started running the long tubes along with the AM tunes.
Old 1/7/16, 08:05 PM

Follow through with TJ at Steeda and see if Matt can take a look at your tune.. Perhaps he'll be able to straighten things out.. Another option is consider a tune from either VPM, Brenspeed or JDM.. I know for certain they can write a tune for long tubes without disabling your 02 sensors
Old 1/10/16, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glenn, you've been on here probably longer than I have and I can't believe you are having emission issues. I have a tune that you that you don't need to drive for a long period of time to pass emissions and it passes all the time. No need to swap tunes a month before or anything! So I know it's possible. My issue is that my tuner(s) moved on to other things. Now I have cold weather starting issues and surging when I'm driving with the air conditioner on. I have both the source for my tune and the source file for the emissions stuff to pass. However, I don't have anyone I feel comfortable with in Louisiana to write my tune. Certainly feel like my setup is as generic as the next guys. I can't believe that after 9 years, I still haven't found a guy willing to get me set up correctly. I think that AM doesn't write inspection passing tunes to cover their butts

Last edited by gremlin190; 1/10/16 at 01:06 PM.
Old 1/10/16, 01:25 PM

I don't know if your aware of this or not, but there's really no such thing as an emissions inspection tune.. As long as both the front and rear 02 sensors are turned on in the tune, the vehicle in question will pass the emissions inspection.. If they are turned off on the other hand, then it will not pass because the obd II port will display the following error.. 02 catalyst bank not ready.. It's as simple as that !

How do I know this, because my rear 02 sensors are turned on in the tune in which my car has always passed the emissions test with flying colors..

The only reason why Glenn's car won't pass emissions, is AM has his rear 02 sensors turned off, otherwise if they knew how to write a calibration tune for long tubes without disabling the rear 02 sensors.. His car would then pass emissions..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/10/16 at 06:09 PM.
Old 1/10/16, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree. AM couldn't write my tune with the O2 sensors turned on either. I don't think it's because they don't know how, but to cover their butts for legal reason. I imagine a search on here would turn up that Doug had no issues passing emissions with his tunes
Old 1/10/16, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't know if your aware of this or not, but there's really no such thing as an emissions inspection tune.. As long as both the front and rear 02 sensors are turned on in the tune, the vehicle in question will pass the emissions inspection.. If they are turned off on the other hand, then it will not pass because the obd II port will display the following error.. 02 catylist bank not ready.. It's as simple as that !

How do I know this, because my rear 02 sensors are turned on in the tune in which my car has always passed the emissions test with flying colors..

The only reason why Glenn's car won't pass emissions, is AM has his rear 02 sensors turned off, otherwise if they knew how to write a calibration tune for long tubes without disabling the rear 02 sensors.. His car would then pass emissions..
Actually with Steeda's tune I get a check engine light. All sensors on as far as I know. Cats not operating correctly. I think not know for sure that if I replace my cats and run Steeda's tune I will pass. It will only cost me 400 buck to find out.
Old 1/10/16, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by gremlin190
I completely agree. AM couldn't write my tune with the O2 sensors turned on either. I don't think it's because they don't know how, but to cover their butts for legal reason. I imagine a search on here would turn up that Doug had no issues passing emissions with his tunes
Your probably right and I totally agree that AM is more than likely just covering their butts for legal reasons..

As for Doug ! I never ran across any issues passing emissions with his calibration tunes, but then again this was running the stock exhaust and not long tube headers.. However I don't ever recall reading any complaints from those who did either, as Doug was definitely the best.. No doubt about that
Old 1/10/16, 06:05 PM

Actually with Steeda's tune I get a check engine light. All sensors on as far as I know. Cats not operating correctly. I think not know for sure that if I replace my cats and run Steeda's tune I will pass. It will only cost me 400 buck to find out.
Glenn ! Did you check back with TJ yet ? if not, have Matt check over your tune as TJ recommends.. Perhaps your Steeda tune just needs some revision tweaking to get rid of your check engine light.. In the worst case scenario, it may not even be your cats at all, but rather one of your 02 sensors may have just gone bad
Old 1/11/16, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

From what I have seen when a o2 sensor goes bad the fault code will let you know.
Old 1/11/16, 11:43 AM

I would still have Matt over at Steeda take a look at your tune anyhow.. Maybe just a parameter is off and requires some revision tweaking.. You're much better off getting a free tune revision over spending $400.00 for new cats that you might not even need to begin with
Old 1/11/16, 01:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
From what I have seen when a o2 sensor goes bad the fault code will let you know.
Maybe I missed it, but what is your fault code? I have a friend who's truck had code P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold. I changed the rear O2, and it was fixed. Just FYI...
Old 1/11/16, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Glenn ! Did you check back with TJ yet ? if not, have Matt check over your tune as TJ recommends.. Perhaps your Steeda tune just needs some revision tweaking to get rid of your check engine light.. In the worst case scenario, it may not even be your cats at all, but rather one of your 02 sensors may have just gone bad
Glenn,

Happy to help ... shoot me a note with your contact info & I will send it Matt's way.

This thread took off quickly, lol.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 1/11/16, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Glenn,

Happy to help ... shoot me a note with your contact info & I will send it Matt's way.

Best Regards,

TJ
Yes ! it did take off quickly
Old 1/12/16, 06:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Maybe I missed it, but what is your fault code? I have a friend who's truck had code P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold. I changed the rear O2, and it was fixed. Just FYI...
I forget. I'll throw the Steeda tune back on today and see what code it shows. I will contact Steeda. That could have been it 420 but I thought that something else entirely
Old 1/12/16, 06:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Glenn,

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks! What are the odds of a catalytic converter getting all gummed up after running rich for 5 or 6 years? Is it possible? Have you seen it happen?
Old 4/13/16, 12:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Do you think American muscle will give me a discount on a high flow cat?

Quick Reply: Bama V 2 tunes