GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bama V 2 tunes

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/15, 01:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently went with Lito for tuning and he gave me a 93 race and a 93 emissions friendly tune. Made me wonder why I always ran out the tank and went to an 87 Bama tune to pass.
Old 11/5/15, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I have had Bama tunes for almost 5 years and never an issue. Out of business? Hard to be the world's largest mustang tuning company by giving crap tunes. There is a reason why Bama is the worlds leading mustang tuning company!
I'm not here to bash, just saying there are plenty of instances out there on the forums that would make me steer clear of them. I'm talking about simple things like tuning for emissions, cams, headers and simple stuff like that. Problems in those areas gives me no faith in their tuning ability for major mods/power adders. I don't hear about the same issues coming from smaller companies like Brenspeed, VMP, Lund etc. And yes maybe you hear about more problems with BAMA tunes because more people have them. They do offer that tunes for life program and that is why there are so many of their tunes out there, but I know at least a dozen folks that have dumped that program in favor of using other tuners because they were not happy with BAMA. They do have one of the more responsive teams and they do their best at customer service, I think that bleeds over from American Muscle. And no I don't have any tunes from the AM Bama but I used them when Doug owned the business. He is a great tuner and I believe last I heard he was writing tunes for C&L. Anyways, I'm glad you are happy with their tunes, as I'm sure their are many out there that are, Just trying to make folks aware that they are not without issue. IMO they are like the MMR of the tuning world.

Being the leading company does not make it the best. Sometimes that is far from the truth. I mean WalMart is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, retailer out there, but they are far from the best. Personally I think the best 3V tuner out there is not even in this country. This guy has the best rep in the S197 racing community. Don't mind the language he speaks good English. This guy (Lito) has solved many a tuning issue that other companies have not been able to solve. http://www.tudyno.com/

Last edited by 07 Boss; 11/5/15 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11/5/15, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss

I'm not here to bash, just saying there are plenty of instances out there on the forums that would make me steer clear of them. I'm talking about simple things like tuning for emissions, cams, headers and simple stuff like that. Problems in those areas gives me no faith in their tuning ability for major mods/power adders. I don't hear about the same issues coming from smaller companies like Brenspeed, VMP, Lund etc. And yes maybe you hear about more problems with BAMA tunes because more people have them. They do offer that tunes for life program and that is why there are so many of their tunes out there, but I know at least a dozen folks that have dumped that program in favor of using other tuners because they were not happy with BAMA. They do have one of the more responsive teams and they do their best at customer service, I think that bleeds over from American Muscle. And no I don't have any tunes from the AM Bama but I used them when Doug owned the business. He is a great tuner and I believe last I heard he was writing tunes for C&L. Anyways, I'm glad you are happy with their tunes, as I'm sure their are many out there that are, Just trying to make folks aware that they are not without issue. IMO they are like the MMR of the tuning world.

Being the leading company does not make it the best. Sometimes that is far from the truth. I mean WalMart is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, retailer out there, but they are far from the best. Personally I think the best 3V tuner out there is not even in this country. This guy has the best rep in the S197 racing community. Don't mind the language he speaks good English. This guy (Lito) has solved many a tuning issue that other companies have not been able to solve. http://www.tudyno.com/
I completely understand where you are coming from and certainly don't think you were bashing Bama. There are many tuning companies out there to choose from and many are highly reputable. Names to include, Steeda, MPT, Lund, AED and VMP. Bama tunes more mustangs than any other mustang tuning business in the world. I'm guessing one doesn't get that title by making garbage/crap tunes that destroys and blow up customers engines.

I don't run the new V2 tunes. I have their old hybrid tune and thought it was and is a great tune. Never any issues with my car while running their tunes. I have had to data log in the past to zone in the tune but that's it.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 11/5/15 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11/5/15, 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
As Sebastian asked, how long do you drive on the tune before having it inspected? There is a code in there right after it has been re-flashed that tells them that it has been, it'll go away after a while.
usually at least a week. At least 50 starts.I had no stored codes and no check engine light.
Old 11/5/15, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This just in from AM. = unfortunately we can't tune for your long tube headers without disabling the O2 sensors - if we don't tune for the long tubes you are going to throw some CELs. What I have done is I set up your performance tune as an emissions tune, this changes some of the OBDII readings. Its not guaranteed that you will pass emissions with it but many other customers have used it successfully. If you have any questions please let me know!

I loaded up a Steeda 87 tune. So far one day no cel. Knock on a woody. I'll try it for a week or so and then go for a test. Such a load of crap this emissions testing. The lower half of IL doesn't have to be tested.
Old 11/5/15, 07:17 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
That sucks. I had no idea what your mods are.

I can leave DFW if I really need to avoid it, but I've never needed to. I usually just let it expire and go as long as I can before getting inspected, but now I can't do my registration without proof of inspection here in TX.
Old 11/6/15, 02:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
This just in from AM. = unfortunately we can't tune for your long tube headers without disabling the O2 sensors - if we don't tune for the long tubes you are going to throw some CELs. What I have done is I set up your performance tune as an emissions tune, this changes some of the OBDII readings. Its not guaranteed that you will pass emissions with it but many other customers have used it successfully. If you have any questions please let me know!

I loaded up a Steeda 87 tune. So far one day no cel. Knock on a woody. I'll try it for a week or so and then go for a test. Such a load of crap this emissions testing. The lower half of IL doesn't have to be tested.
Exactly what I'm talking about. I have long tubes and have two tunes that with the rear sensors on and can pass smog. Why can't BAMA tune for the headers and keep the O2 sensors on? Somebody explain.
Old 11/9/15, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

This code popped up after running a few days on the Steeda tune.

A code P0430 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly There is an exhaust leak

First, inspect for exhaust leaks. Next step is to measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 2. In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it. One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.

No exhaust leaks! I'm pretty sure the o2's are working. So that pretty much only means one thing. My cats are jacked up. Which have been on the car since April 2012

Last edited by Glenn; 11/9/15 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11/9/15, 06:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
This code popped up after running a few days on the Steeda tune.

A code P0430 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly There is an exhaust leak

First, inspect for exhaust leaks. Next step is to measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 2. In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it. One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.

No exhaust leaks! I'm pretty sure the o2's are working. So that pretty much only means one thing. My cats are jacked up. Which have been on the car since April 2012
Hello Glen,

I can have Matt take a look at the tune & see if he can help with any of the parameters.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/10/15, 06:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hello Glen,

I can have Matt take a look at the tune & see if he can help with any of the parameters.

Best Regards,

TJ
Hey Thanks TJ but I don't think its your tune as much as I think it was the previous tunes. From what I know running to rich or to lean will mess up the cats? Now that the rear o2 sensors are on they are noticing something not right with the cats? Hey that was two statements that look somewhat like questions lol
Old 11/12/15, 11:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

No one is going to touch that one Eh
Old 1/6/16, 04:43 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
I have had Bama tunes for almost 5 years and never an issue. Out of business? Hard to be the world's largest mustang tuning company by giving crap tunes. There is a reason why Bama is the worlds leading mustang tuning company!
I really hate to disagree, however ever since AM purchased Bama from Doug Studdard, the tune qualities have not been the same..

I know this from personal experience, as I started out with Bama tunes when Doug was still the owner/tuner back in 2006.. I can honestly say that his tunes were always 100% spot on and never encountered any negative issues whatsoever..

The same on the other hand can't be said for AM/Bama, as I had several issues with my Air/Fuel which required being revised on more than several occasions..

Then on top of that, it was nearly impossible to get straight forward answers concerning my questions regarding the tune revision status from their customer support dept.. Needless to say, I've since switched to Brenspeed and couldn't be happier..

Therefore IMHO ! when it comes to custom mail order tuning.. it's Brenspeed and JDM engineering who are the best Mustang tuners in the industry and have 20 years of R&D experience to back it up..

As for AM/Bama being regarded as the world's leading Mustang tuning company in your opinion.. Ask yourself this question, why is it that AM/Bama does not provide custom dyno tuning for their customers ? but yet both Brenspeed and JDM most certainly do though

I'll also throw in Steeda, as they also have over 20 years of R&D experience in addition to being a direct partner with Ford in their transfer technology program.. And if I'm also not mistaken, Steeda does provide custom dyno tuning sessions for their customers as well..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/6/16 at 05:24 PM.
Old 1/6/16, 05:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

I really hate to disagree, however ever since AM purchased Bama from Doug Studdard, the tune qualities have not been the same..

I know this from personal experience, as I started out with Bama tunes when Doug was still the owner/tuner back in 2006.. I can honestly say that his tunes were always 100% spot on and never encountered any negative issues whatsoever..

The same on the other hand can't be said for AM/Bama, as I had several issues with my Air/Fuel which required being revised on more than several occasions..

Then on top of that, it was nearly impossible to get straight forward answers concerning my questions regarding the tune revision status from their customer support dept.. Needless to say, I've since switched to Brenspeed and couldn't be happier..

Therefore IMHO ! when it comes to custom mail order tuning.. it's Brenspeed and JDM engineering who are the best Mustang tuners in the industry and have 20 years of R&D experience to back it up..

As for AM/Bama being regarded as the world's leading Mustang tuning company in your opinion.. Ask yourself this question, why is it that AM/Bama does not provide custom dyno tuning for their customers ? but yet both Brenspeed and JDM most certainly do though

I'll also throw in Steeda, as they also have over 20 years of R&D experience in addition to being a direct partner with Ford in their transfer technology program.. And if I'm also not mistaken, Steeda does provide custom dyno tuning sessions for their customers as well..
Its not my opinion that AM tunes more mustangs than any other mustang tuner in the world. Its the simple fact. I don't have any dog in their company. I don't work for Bama, but fact is the fact. AM tunes more mustangs than any other mustang tuning company. I never said they offered the most powerful tune, they provide a highly reliable , quality tune that will not blow up ones engine or transmission.

As far as a custom dyno tune, they do offer custom tunes. Its called data log your tune and it can be tweeked to dial it in. Try going to an American Muscle car show. You don't have a 3,000 plus mustang car show and following by providing crappy products and tunes.

With all that said, Bama is not my favorite tune I run. I have another tune that I like just a bit more but that's not saying my old hybrid bama tune is not great. My MPT tune is just a bit more great.

Clearly you had a bad result from Bama and left a really sour taste which I completely understand. In all the years of running Bama tunes I have not had any negative experiences
Old 1/6/16, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I failed my last emissions test as I expected. My thing with AM is that with every tune I ever got from them I informed them I needed to pass emissions. I have run their tunes exclusively for many years with the exception of my original tune. It was from the guy that went to work for AM shortly after I got my tune from him. I forget the name of the company he ran.

Anyway I was never informed by Bama until recently that they keep the rear o2 sensors off. One of the reasons I can't pass emissions with their tune. Not having the rear o2 sensors on your computer can't tell if you are running to rich or to lean. This is why I tried a STEEDA tune recently. They keep all o2 sensors active. STEEDA

When I started running the Steeda tune I threw a code. Catalytic converters not operating properly. Now I have no scientific proof but looking at my tail pipes it looks like my car has been running rich on the bama tunes for years with several different tunes. I believe my cats are done and I would be willing to bet that if I replaced them and ran the Steeda tune I would pass emissions.
Again I have no scientific proof nor the cash to replace my BBK catted x pipe.

Last edited by Glenn; 1/6/16 at 06:42 PM.
Old 1/6/16, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Its not my opinion that AM tunes more mustangs than any other mustang tuner in the world. Its the simple fact.
How do you know this?
Old 1/6/16, 09:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I failed my last emissions test as I expected. My thing with AM is that with every tune I ever got from them I informed them I needed to pass emissions. I have run their tunes exclusively for many years with the exception of my original tune. It was from the guy that went to work for AM shortly after I got my tune from him. I forget the name of the company he ran.

Anyway I was never informed by Bama until recently that they keep the rear o2 sensors off. One of the reasons I can't pass emissions with their tune. Not having the rear o2 sensors on your computer can't tell if you are running to rich or to lean. This is why I tried a STEEDA tune recently. They keep all o2 sensors active. STEEDA

When I started running the Steeda tune I threw a code. Catalytic converters not operating properly. Now I have no scientific proof but looking at my tail pipes it looks like my car has been running rich on the bama tunes for years with several different tunes. I believe my cats are done and I would be willing to bet that if I replaced them and ran the Steeda tune I would pass emissions.
Again I have no scientific proof nor the cash to replace my BBK catted x pipe.
Clearly Bama didn't work for you. I fully respect that and another tuning company was a better choice for you. I have heard several stories where Bama didn't work for people,I have spoken with people at the American Muscle Car Show, local car shows, numerous mustang forums where these people love Bama and no issues.

I'm sure the AM rep Alex could share some insight on how many approximate tunes Bama writes daily.
Old 1/6/16, 10:28 PM

Its not my opinion that AM tunes more mustangs than any other mustang tuner in the world. Its the simple fact. I don't have any dog in their company. I don't work for Bama, but fact is the fact. AM tunes more mustangs than any other mustang tuning company. I never said they offered the most powerful tune, they provide a highly reliable , quality tune that will not blow up ones engine or transmission.

As far as a custom dyno tune, they do offer custom tunes. Its called data log your tune and it can be tweeked to dial it in. Try going to an American Muscle car show. You don't have a 3,000 plus mustang car show and following by providing crappy products and tunes.

With all that said, Bama is not my favorite tune I run. I have another tune that I like just a bit more but that's not saying my old hybrid bama tune is not great. My MPT tune is just a bit more great.

Clearly you had a bad result from Bama and left a really sour taste which I completely understand. In all the years of running Bama tunes I have not had any negative experiences
Just because AM has 3000 plus attend their annual Mustang shows, doesn't prove they tune more Mustangs than any of the other tuning companies who have been in the industry much longer than AM has..

And if they do ? lets see some real proof, as in 3rd party unbiased facts instead of a bunch of marketing hype claims..

As for claiming they provide crappy tunes are concerned, I never said that in my previous post.. I just clearly stated that IMHO their tunes have not been the same since AM purchased Bama from original founder/tuner: Doug Studdard..

I'm also fully aware of AM/Bama offering remote tuning via data logging in which I did provide them with a data log.. However despite the revisions that were made, my Air/Fuel was still off and running too lean..

That was when the decision was made to make the switch to Brenspeed.. I then had the Brenspeed tune checked by one of my local tuners who confirmed it was indeed spot on and that no additional revisions/adjustments were required.. And btw: we're also talking about a Mustang with FI, not N/A..

The bottom line here is this.. I'm not here to bash AM/Bama and perhaps when it comes to N/A and light mod applications, AM/Bama offers some pretty decent tunes, but when it comes to more serious mods such as cams and especially FI ? I'll only trust running a mail order custom tune from somebody who has a proven R&D track record such as Brenspeed and JDM engineering..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/6/16 at 10:32 PM.
Old 1/6/16, 10:40 PM

I'm sure the AM rep Alex could share some insight on how many approximate tunes Bama writes daily.
Of course he's going to share his insight.. After all he does work for AM !
Old 1/6/16, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
And no I don't have any tunes from the AM Bama but I used them when Doug owned the business. He is a great tuner and I believe last I heard he was writing tunes for C&L.
Doug was indeed such a great tuner and I really hope he'll eventually get back into the industry..

You were also correct that he was last writing tunes for C&L, however they have since gone out of business and from my understanding were sold to AM

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/6/16 at 11:35 PM.
Old 1/7/16, 12:07 AM

I failed my last emissions test as I expected. My thing with AM is that with every tune I ever got from them I informed them I needed to pass emissions. I have run their tunes exclusively for many years with the exception of my original tune. It was from the guy that went to work for AM shortly after I got my tune from him. I forget the name of the company he ran
I believe I know the person whom your referring to Glenn ! is it by any chance Chris Rose who came over from Tillman Speed to work for AM ?

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/7/16 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Bama V 2 tunes