GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Axle Back Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/17, 12:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Hey there Jim ! You would also think being as much as Ford Racing charges for the FR500's, they'd include much better packaging in which any part of the pipe material sticking out of the box is totally unacceptable IMHO.. Anyhow I'm glad that AM stood up to the plate and provided you with an explanation, so my next step would be to contact Ford Racing and let them know they need to do a much better job when it comes to packaging their products.. I also hope there are no damages to any portion of the mufflers including any bends to the hangers, as I'd really hate for you to have to return the FR500's back to AM only to have to go through the same hassle over again..

At any rate, until Ford Racing provides better packaging quality, I'd much rather purchase from another manufacturer that does exactly just that for their customers.. In the meantime, let me know how everything turns out with the installation once the weather gets warm enough lol. As for the storm, we were lucky enough that it bypassed us and only got under 1 inch to just a coating.. However the temps are bitter cold with highs in the low to mid 20's..
Fortunately the cans, hangers, and tips were good. And, if all remains copacetic they will be installed tomorrow. I let ya know if they make me grin, and the neighbors cringe.

I may have misled you a bit about American Muscle though. While I have received great service, and quick shipping on parts they have let me down a bit on this transaction. They haven't gotten back to me yet about the the packaging of the mufflers. I'll give bit more time, and then use some my good old Southern hospitality on 'em. I'm not asking for anything but a reply that they understand, and will address this with Ford. Ain't much at all in my book.

Last edited by wanted33; 3/16/17 at 12:06 PM.
Old 3/16/17, 06:24 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Gigantor
I also had a set of Violators on my GT and they didn't line up right either. They were ok for the price, I got them off of Amazon. They sounded ok but not loud enough and I could never get them lined up evenly. However the Pype Bombs were much better and lined up just right.
My first pair of Violators were purchased through Brenspeed.. After discovering the hanger issues, Pypes issued an RMA to exchange them.. Needless to say, I had the same issue with the replacements they shipped out and ended up having a muffler shop re-adjust the passenger side hanger in order to line up properly.. Anyhow I'm glad that your Pype bombs lined up just right, however after reading several reviews about having the same issues with the Pype bombs not lining up, was more than enough reason for having second thoughts about the fitment quality of Pypes products..

Originally Posted by wanted33
Fortunately the cans, hangers, and tips were good. And, if all remains copacetic they will be installed tomorrow. I let ya know if they make me grin, and the neighbors cringe.

I may have misled you a bit about American Muscle though. While I have received great service, and quick shipping on parts they have let me down a bit on this transaction. They haven't gotten back to me yet about the the packaging of the mufflers. I'll give bit more time, and then use some my good old Southern hospitality on 'em. I'm not asking for anything but a reply that they understand, and will address this with Ford. Ain't much at all in my book.
I would also recommended that if it becomes necessary to use your good "ole" southern hospitality on them.. That you also request to speak with a supervisor and not only inform them about how they let you down on this particular transaction, but also how totally unacceptable it is that you haven't received a response in regards to your concerns over the packaging of the mufflers as of yet either !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/16/17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 3/16/17, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wanted33,

I purchased the FRPP big brake kit from AM and when they arrived one of the calipers (Brembo) was scuffed. I tool a pic and sent to them. They offered to have me send it back but it wasn't worth the hassle or the shipping. Instead they credited me a few bucks and I bought some black high heat paint and they look good as new. I've had 2 issues with them and they resolved both of them quickly and easily. Remember if you don't get the response you want just keep climbing the ladder till you find someone that'll be able to satisfy you.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (3/17/17)
Old 3/17/17, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a BBK, X-Pipe with Roush Axle-Backs, NO DRONE what so ever and great rumble.
Old 3/17/17, 12:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Update on American Muscle contact. I received an email today telling me they are going to contact Ford about the packaging of the FR500 Ford Performance exhaust. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Also and update on the FR500's. I installed the exhaust today. In the words of my 35 years old neighbor, "That thing sounds amazing." And the great part, NO DRONE WHATSOEVER.

Last edited by wanted33; 3/17/17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 3/17/17, 06:31 PM

So now will see just how long it takes FPP to respond to AM regarding the packaging lol. In the meantime, I'm pleased that your FR500's have zero drone to them at this point and would also like to know if they offer a warranty and for how long.. If they offer at least a 3 year warranty like Roush does, then I'll look into placing an order for FR500's over Roush Extremes..
Old 3/18/17, 11:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So now will see just how long it takes FPP to respond to AM regarding the packaging lol. In the meantime, I'm pleased that your FR500's have zero drone to them at this point and would also like to know if they offer a warranty and for how long.. If they offer at least a 3 year warranty like Roush does, then I'll look into placing an order for FR500's over Roush Extremes..
Rocky, From what I see Ford doesn't warranty their performance parts. So, I'm going to have to hope these FR500's are built as good as the GT500's on the wife's '13. I didn't even think to look for a warranty.....as I said I'm gettin' old.
Old 3/18/17, 04:48 PM

Jim, I know that FPP would carry warranties on certain parts such as their CAI's or at least they used to anyhow.. In the meantime, I really hope your FR500's most definitely hold up as well as your wife's GT500's.. However if FPP does not offer any type of warranty on the FR500's, then it appears more than likely I'll be looking into either GMS axle backs as HarleyBill recommended or I'll stick with my original choice with the Roush Extremes which are backed by a 3 year unlimited warranty..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/18/17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 3/18/17, 05:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Jim, I know that FPP would carry warranties on certain parts such as their CAI's or at least they used to anyhow.. In the meantime, I really hope your FR500's most definitely hold up as well as your wife's GT500's.. However if FPP does not offer any type of warranty on the FR500's, then it appears more than likely I'll be looking into either GMS axle backs as HarleyBill recommended or I'll stick with my original choice with the Roush Extremes which are backed by a 3 year unlimited warranty..
I don't blame you at all my friend. Either would make a great choice.
Old 3/19/17, 06:24 PM

I don't blame you at all my friend. Either would make a great choice.
I sure hope so Jim lol.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (3/20/17)
Old 3/26/17, 02:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After listening to many different video's (I know they aren't dead on in sound), I have settled on the FR500S Ford Performance mufflers for my stock '06. The reviews are good, and best part is there is absolutely no drone at any rpm's. The wife has the FPP GT500 mufflers on her '13 5.0, they have a beautiful note with no rasp or drone whatsoever. They are a bit pricey, but if the quality is there like the GT500's they are well worth the dough. They are made by Borla, and sent to Ford performance for some tweaking. Also, they are the mufflers that came on the KR cars.

If you recall the car has pypes violators that were there when I bought the car. Nice, but they haven't given me a grin since I brought it home.

Jim
i just place an order for FR 500S and now i m thinking if a catted x pipe(bbk) will be an upgrade vs stock h. It has to be catted. I m looking for sound not hp. Did u keep the h??
Old 3/26/17, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dancorneliu79@yahoo.com
i just place an order for FR 500S and now i m thinking if a catted x pipe(bbk) will be an upgrade vs stock h. It has to be catted. I m looking for sound not hp. Did u keep the h??
I addressed this question in a thread in which you just submitted.. "Pipe advice needed", In which btw: was un-necessary to start up a new thread about the same topic !

There's very little to be gained by upgrading to an aftermarket catted mid-pipe over the factory catted H you currently have.. The "OEM" cats are far less restrictive and very efficient when compared to Ford's factory exhaust systems prior to the beginning of the 2005 4.6L 3 valve models.. Unless you also intend on upgrading to long tube headers, there's no real benefit in adding an aftermarket catted X-pipe over the factory cats at all.. Also, if your looking for that deep/throaty muscle car sound, you don't want to switch over from an H-pipe to an X anyhow, as an X-pipe provides more of a raspy/higher pitched tinny sound over a traditional H-pipe..
On the other hand however, an X-pipe is somewhat a bit more efficient flowing over an H-pipe, but not to the extent where it's really noticeable.. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference and what your looking for that matters most..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/26/17 at 10:02 PM.