GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pipe advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/17, 02:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pipe advice needed

Hello, i just place an order for FR 500S axle back exhaust. Now i m wondering should i keep the stock h pipe or upgrade with a catted x pipe(bbk probably). It has to be catted here where i live.
I ve read reviews but never had a chance to here this combo. I m not lookin for more hp but just for the best sound.
If anybody has experience with it please share!!
Tkank you guys !!
Old 3/26/17, 02:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
There's very little to be gained by upgrading to an aftermarket catted mid-pipe over the factory catted H you currently have.. The "OEM" cats are far less restrictive and very efficient when compared to Ford's factory exhaust systems prior to the beginning of the 2005 4.6L 3 valve models.. Unless you also intend on upgrading to long tube headers, there's no real benefit in adding an aftermarket catted X-pipe over the factory cats at all.. Also, if your looking for that deep/throaty muscle car sound, you don't want to switch over from an H-pipe to an X anyhow, as an X-pipe provides more of a raspy/higher pitched tinny sound over a traditional H-pipe..
On the other hand however, an X-pipe is somewhat a bit more efficient flowing over an H-pipe, but not to the extent where it's really noticeable.. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference and what your looking for that matters most..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/26/17 at 02:25 PM.