GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Automatics! There is hope !

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/05 | 10:35 PM
FR500 Member

Hey Sixty-Six,

I believe the problem at the local level is not them but the Diablo people themselves. It seems my local guys get all of their input or experience from info supplied by Diablo and have no interest in expanding on their own.
Well, I guess that's a take on it, but to me......that sounds like pure laziness not to want to master their craft. And that's unfortuneate. Do you know what SCT does directly with their shops? What you see here in praise isn't neccesarily for SCT the company, but 3 very good tuners who happen to use the SCT products. It's something that constantly gets lost in translation.

Since Diablo does not want to buddy up to us auto guys
You missed TMCole's post didn't you. He's completely happy with his custom tune on his auto tuned from Diablo directly, he lives in Florida, so he can do that. How's that not cozying up, when he's getting tuned from Diablo directly?

Look, I'm not knocking SCT or their shops at all, nor am I trying to convince you of not switching.

I've already stated that if you can't find competant shops in your area, then by all means switch.

I would too in that predicament, and was going to do it myself until I ran across my tuner, who by the way doesn't have a functioning website, and completely ignored my e-mails.

I called and spoke to the tuner and paid em a visit and my mind was made up to stick with it.
If I get a custom tune I'm not happy with, then I'm right with ya. And it's off to Bamachips/Lidio/Brenspeed I go

This isn't an argument, Scott. I guess it's my own distaste of wasting money
Old 10/28/05 | 10:53 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Wardog 07@October 27, 2005, 9:42 PM
Here's another point to consider . . . . Opened up Diablo's website lately
Diablosport is in southern Florida, lot's of places still don't have power, phones and the like. It may be awhile.
Old 10/29/05 | 03:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sixty -Six,
You are correct about me missing TMCole's post on Diablo tuning his auto for him. I originally bought the Predator because at the time I wanted the C&L intake and the adjustability that the Predator had. Now, it appears that SCT has caught up in that dept. The manufacturer of the tuning device is not that important to me. The final product and performance of the canned tune is important to me. I guess you pay your money and take your chances when you purchase either brand. I am just not lucky enough to live close to a tuner for Diablo that wants to tackle the auto trans. And if they don't know what they are doing I surely don't want them to mess with it. I am only about 3 1/2 hours south of Lidio so I guess he is the closest to me that seems to know how to tweek these autos. I have been hoping that Diablo themselves would come out with a canned tune for the auto trans and sell it as an option. But , at this point I don't think that is in the works. Maybe there is not a large enough market for it. Not sure. The weather is turning to crap here so I will have most of the winter to ponder what to do. But if anyone is looking for a Predator U7140 with R21 and the C&L intake tunes give me a PM.
Scott
Old 10/29/05 | 06:21 AM

i'm not really sure why no one has picked up that ball and ran with it on this one.... seems to me if someone started creating some decent canned predator tunes they could make a few bucks... hint... hint... hint... maybe that's just wishful thinking....

i'm in the same boat as many of you... i bought the predator a few months back, based on what seemed to be superior features... was happy with it for a while... but now i'm sitting here reading so many posts of people raving about tunes from alternative auto, bama chips, brenspeed, etc. and somewhat kicking myself in the butt for the purchase.... i feel like i'm missing out...

but i don't think that the predator is the issue... the issue has been a lack of quality canned tunes that are available after the purchase... although it baffles me to this day as to why there isn't a tune available for use with the k&n.... i can't say i'm disappointed with my predator, but i am disappointed with the lack of aftermarket support i'm seeing, especially when i see what's going on with the sct unit...

so now i'm left to decide whether to spend $300-350 to get it dynotuned or sell my predator and switch to an alternative auto sct tuner.... hmmmmm....
Old 10/29/05 | 06:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well to the forum. You need to PM Sixty-Six and find out if the tuner he found out there is close to you. Maybe he can help you El Prohibido!
Scott
Old 10/29/05 | 06:44 AM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@October 29, 2005, 5:42 AM
Well to the forum. You need to PM Sixty-Six and find out if the tuner he found out there is close to you. Maybe he can help you El Prohibido!
Scott

thank you... actually i did and he was quite helpful...

it's funny he mentioned their pitiful web presence, cause i had somewhat written them off due to it...
Old 10/29/05 | 09:33 AM
FR500 Member

Yeah, Kimber's been a "lurker" for awhile at my place and here

You know there may be an option. DTP Racing. This is the place that JLT uses for Diablo customers. Might want to talk to him. I do know he provided a tune for someone here in Phoenix who had created his own CAI, and he was very happy with it. ANd I've heard of people being happy with the JLT Auto tunes by them as well.
Old 10/29/05 | 12:25 PM
Cobra R Member

We should start calling Bamachips/Brenspeed/Lidio The Big Three. Everyone that has their tunes are happy and in all the months we have discussed this tuning subject there has been no negative comment about them.

Bryan in Texas seems to have located a good tuner he is pleased with.

If I lived within four hours of any of the Big Three. I would be making an appointment to get on their DYNO for sure. The next question is should one invest more money to get a dyno tune from a predator dealer with unknown results. I think not. If one has an auto the thing to do is purchase the X-2 from Lidio preloaded or send your SCT to him to be loaded.

For an automatic my car kicks butt however it took a very long time (Months) and I can do nothing with the transmission.

Manual shift guys with the predator should send it to one of the remaining top three or down load from them or if you have the time adjust and test as I have done.
I believe this is the final solution!
What do you think?
Old 10/29/05 | 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Mongoose,
I think you are dead on with you opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 10/29/05 | 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

As promise my time with the XCAL2 93 tune with 94

Enitalp/Mustang/GT/05/Auto/Na
13h24 ?????/8.664/13.354@107.882 NBT
13h56 2.113/8.628/13.299@107.884 NBT
14h28 2.109/8.554/13.236@???? NBT
15h28 2.098/8.571/13.232@108.180 NBT
Old 10/30/05 | 07:21 AM

Originally posted by SixtySix@October 29, 2005, 8:36 AM
Yeah, Kimber's been a "lurker" for awhile at my place and here

You know there may be an option. DTP Racing. This is the place that JLT uses for Diablo customers. Might want to talk to him. I do know he provided a tune for someone here in Phoenix who had created his own CAI, and he was very happy with it. ANd I've heard of people being happy with the JLT Auto tunes by them as well.

i've finally been lured out of the shadows of pm land...

i've emailed Brent from DTP back and forth a couple times and he seemed friendly and helpful... i think i will contact him again and see what he says he can do with the auto trans and perhaps give it a shot if it sounds good...

although, from all the glowing reviews it seems like switching to an alt. auto sct may be the safe bet... i just hope he'll make a custom tune for the k&n.... seems like he focuses pretty heavily on the c&l... : \
Old 10/30/05 | 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by <el Prohibido>@October 30, 2005, 8:24 AM

i've finally been lured out of the shadows of pm land...

i've emailed Brent from DTP back and forth a couple times and he seemed friendly and helpful... i think i will contact him again and see what he says he can do with the auto trans and perhaps give it a shot if it sounds good...

although, from all the glowing reviews it seems like switching to an alt. auto sct may be the safe bet... i just hope he'll make a custom tune for the k&n.... seems like he focuses pretty heavily on the c&l... : \

I also will contact DTP racing to see if they can come up with a custom tune for my auto. Since I am running the C&L intake already maybe that will help. The only problem if you want to call it a problem with SCT X2 that I see is that the REV 3 firmware from SCT it due to come out sometime and it has more adjustability I hear. Decisions! Decisions!

Scott :scratch:
Old 10/30/05 | 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

end of season today.

2.023/8.496/13.178@107.524 NBT
2.027/8.490/13.121@107.753 NBT

Next year 4.10 gear, so i can go to search for manual time.
Old 10/30/05 | 09:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by enitalp@October 30, 2005, 6:30 PM
end of season today.

2.023/8.496/13.178@107.524 NBT
2.027/8.490/13.121@107.753 NBT

Next year 4.10 gear, so i can go to search for manual time.
You are improving with each run. Great ! I assume you will come back in the spring with the 4:10s and a few more GO FAST changes.
Old 10/30/05 | 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL...i have been watching everyone battle it out with Diablo vs.SCT....face it ...if you own an auto...and you want the best tune for it...SCT/Lidio@Alternative Auto! Diablosport just can't get it right at this time...maybe sometime they will. The tuners that are working with Diablosport have tied hands on this...they maybe great tuners...but just have the wrong tools.I was happy when i first got the Daiblosport ...then i wanted more...got custom tunes for it ,and worked with two companies that you all have dealt with,and got great service....but still i was reading about other guys with automatics that were describing something totally different than what i had. I had to find out what all the hype was about. Now i know! I can't say that i am making max hp,because i don't have access to dyno....but all i know is that the car is a ton more fun to drive now...and the shifts at wot,and partial throttle are awesome!! When i figure out how to use the SCT fully and datalog my cars actions...i will send it to Lidio for a fine tune.....but for now,i am just having a blast. I'm just looking for people to race now.....lol Confidence is a good thing. I used to get intimidated by GTO's and WRX STI's,and what not....noit any more! Bring it on! I did get to blow the doors off a 350z...beat it bad....too fun!
Old 10/30/05 | 09:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by <el Prohibido>@October 29, 2005, 6:24 AM
i'm not really sure why no one has picked up that ball and ran with it on this one.... seems to me if someone started creating some decent canned predator tunes they could make a few bucks... hint... hint... hint... maybe that's just wishful thinking....

i'm in the same boat as many of you... i bought the predator a few months back, based on what seemed to be superior features... was happy with it for a while... but now i'm sitting here reading so many posts of people raving about tunes from alternative auto, bama chips, brenspeed, etc. and somewhat kicking myself in the butt for the purchase.... i feel like i'm missing out...

but i don't think that the predator is the issue... the issue has been a lack of quality canned tunes that are available after the purchase... although it baffles me to this day as to why there isn't a tune available for use with the k&n.... i can't say i'm disappointed with my predator, but i am disappointed with the lack of aftermarket support i'm seeing, especially when i see what's going on with the sct unit...

so now i'm left to decide whether to spend $300-350 to get it dynotuned or sell my predator and switch to an alternative auto sct tuner.... hmmmmm....
Look at it this way if you purchase and it does not work for you you can sell it and recover most of your cost. If you pay a dyno guy and it does not work you are out the $$ that cannot be recovered.
Old 10/30/05 | 09:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@October 30, 2005, 10:19 AM
I also will contact DTP racing to see if they can come up with a custom tune for my auto. Since I am running the C&L intake already maybe that will help. The only problem if you want to call it a problem with SCT X2 that I see is that the REV 3 firmware from SCT it due to come out sometime and it has more adjustability I hear. Decisions! Decisions!

Scott :scratch:
Do you currently own a predator? If so just load the C&L 93 octane as I have and tweak it. You can move the shift points around and make all the other required adjustments yourself. You can make your auto kick hiney. However I am unable to do anything with the torque management. This may be due to my lack of knowledge or just not possible with the Predator. If you do not currently own a tuner the direction is clear. X-2 with Lidio's tune from AA for the auto. He may have more experience in the auto area than the other TOP two. This issue has possibly more words written about it than any other subject on this forum. Everyone should be up to speed by now. Even slow me.
Old 10/31/05 | 05:27 AM

Originally posted by Fman67@October 30, 2005, 9:09 PM
LOL...i have been watching everyone battle it out with Diablo vs.SCT....face it ...if you own an auto...and you want the best tune for it...SCT/Lidio@Alternative Auto! Diablosport just can't get it right at this time...maybe sometime they will. The tuners that are working with Diablosport have tied hands on this...they maybe great tuners...but just have the wrong tools.I was happy when i first got the Daiblosport ...then i wanted more...got custom tunes for it ,and worked with two companies that you all have dealt with,and got great service....but still i was reading about other guys with automatics that were describing something totally different than what i had. I had to find out what all the hype was about. Now i know! I can't say that i am making max hp,because i don't have access to dyno....but all i know is that the car is a ton more fun to drive now...and the shifts at wot,and partial throttle are awesome!! When i figure out how to use the SCT fully and datalog my cars actions...i will send it to Lidio for a fine tune.....but for now,i am just having a blast. I'm just looking for people to race now.....lol Confidence is a good thing. I used to get intimidated by GTO's and WRX STI's,and what not....noit any more! Bring it on! I did get to blow the doors off a 350z...beat it bad....too fun!
after seeing review after review like this, i'm starting to wonder why i'm i'm even thinking about this anymore...

i think at this point i would rather be saying things like this than trying to figure out how to improve things with my predator....

seems like an sct with alt. auto tunes is going to give me what i want, while i would have to keep my fingers crossed with anything i do using the predator and then probably end up switching anyway...

i believe i will be making a call to lidio in the the very near future.... and then start thinking about something else... like suspension....

btw... i did get a brief but very prompt email reply back from dtp saying "Yes, I do make modifications to the auto's as well that work great!" for any of you that are curious about them...
Old 10/31/05 | 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@October 30, 2005, 10:48 PM
Do you currently own a predator? If so just load the C&L 93 octane as I have and tweak it. You can move the shift points around and make all the other required adjustments yourself. You can make your auto kick hiney. However I am unable to do anything with the torque management. This may be due to my lack of knowledge or just not possible with the Predator. If you do not currently own a tuner the direction is clear. X-2 with Lidio's tune from AA for the auto. He may have more experience in the auto area than the other TOP two. This issue has possibly more words written about it than any other subject on this forum. Everyone should be up to speed by now. Even slow me.

Hi Bill,
Yes, I do have a Predator and am running the C & L 93 octane tune. I thought the only tweek to auto trans we can make to to adjust the rpm shift point at WOT only. My car shifts at 5800 rpm from the factory and was not sure increasing that would help anything since the max hp is at around that rpm. What type of tweeks have you made?
I am afraid to mess around with it because I really don't know what I am doing. Something I would like to have mine stop doing is under normal acceleration it will go into OD as low as 30 mph. I know I can turn it off but what a pain. I also like what I hear about Lidio's AA tune but I wonder what it is like under normal driving conditions and not only at WOT. Is it harsh or rough? Just wondering.
Scott
Old 10/31/05 | 05:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@October 31, 2005, 7:26 PM
Hi Bill,
Yes, I do have a Predator and am running the C & L 93 octane tune. I thought the only tweek to auto trans we can make to to adjust the rpm shift point at WOT only. My car shifts at 5800 rpm from the factory and was not sure increasing that would help anything since the max hp is at around that rpm. What type of tweeks have you made?
I am afraid to mess around with it because I really don't know what I am doing. Something I would like to have mine stop doing is under normal acceleration it will go into OD as low as 30 mph. I know I can turn it off but what a pain. I also like what I hear about Lidio's AA tune but I wonder what it is like under normal driving conditions and not only at WOT. Is it harsh or rough? Just wondering.
Scott
while i've only got a V6 the automatic is basically the same as the GT...

Now... I believe Lidio can pretty easily set the tune as smooth or a harsh as you would like... For example I had him set the light/easy throttle to shift very smooth, but I had him set WOT shifting to "Barbaric!" LOL! You might want to call and talk to him...

Quick Reply: Automatics! There is hope !