GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Automatic Transmission Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/05, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recently while installing my new MagnaFlow Catted X-Pipe I noticed ATF leaking from the front transmission/torque converter seal. The vehicle was scheduled to go into the dealer for the 3rd Skipper 1000 replacement per the TSB and the front spring TSB on Monday. I had the dealer check into the leak at the same time. On Wednesday the dealer was still in contact with Ford about the leak - something was definitely up! Finally the dealer told me the news. Seems that Ford is aware that some automatic transmissions have leaks from the front transmission/torque converter seal - but not all. The problem is still under investigation as the root cause of the problem is not the seal as other seals have been replaced and the transmission leaks shortly thereafter. Per Ford the problem may be that the transmission oil level is too high from the factory causing the oil to foam when it heats up and oil is pushed past the front seal. As most of you are aware there is not a transmission fill tube/ oil level gauge on the 05 Mustang. Vehicle must be on a hoist, running, at operating temperature and a special tool used to check the oil level or add oil. Another cause may be that the venting of the transmission is not adequate, causing oil to be pushed past the front seal. In either case replacing the front seal does not permanently cure the leak. For the time being Ford is directing the dealers to drain a small quantity of oil (just a few ounces) from the transmission and monitor the transmission for leaking. At any rate the problem is not permanently resolved. The biggest problem hindering finding the cause of the leak is that not all transmissions are leaking. I would suggest any time your vehicle is up on a hoist, check for a leak. If a leak is present take the vehicle to the dealer so the problem can be documented until a permanent fix has been determined.
Old 6/18/05, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snugged up my brake line due to a small leak(drip)after checking for the tranny leak you mentioned........no leaky seals.
Thanks for the heads up though.I'll def keep an eye on it.
Old 6/18/05, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

As I mentioned not all transmission are leaking. Some leak at very early mileage or in my case the leak did not show up until I had 4800 miles on the vehicle. That is contributing to the difficulty in determining the root cause of the leak. As you stated I would definitely keep an eye out for a leak until Ford finds what is causing the problem and how many units are affected.
Old 6/18/05, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll be dang. I thought mine was a fluke incident. I noticed the fluid when I installed my pulleys about a month and a half ago. I cleaned it off and watched for any more leaks and I have (cross my fingers)not had any. I was just under there today putting my x-pipe and it was clean as can be.

I thought that when I put the pulleys on I caused some to be pushed out because the motor spun backwards. I was grasping at straws but it was the only thing I could think of. heck I've never seen a tranny without a dipstick to check the fluid with so my idea didn't seem to bad to me Just keep a eye on it.
Old 6/19/05, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mike you are correct - keep an eye on it and if you see any more oil leaking take it to the dealer - don't just wipe or clean the oil off of the bellhousing. Make sure you mention what I posted so they don't replace the front seal for no reason. Some dealers won't research the issue. It will most likely leak again. I'm sure if others check their vehicles they may notice them leaking as well. Ford does not have a cure at this time.
Old 6/19/05, 09:38 AM
FR500 Member

I had a different leak problem, the dealership replaced all the connections to the trans cooler at the bottom of the radiator and the junction just to the right of the engine block. I'll keep an eye out for this one. So far so good.
Old 6/19/05, 10:06 AM
GT Member

I had this happen a few months ago with 900 miles on my GT. The dealer held it for two weeks because Ford didn't know what to do. The dealer told me that the torque converter seal had been damaged during assembly and that they needed to replace it. The car was all together and they still would not give it to me. They said they were still wainting for Ford to release it. Now I know, from your post, that they were trying to figure out why this is happening to the Stangs. I have not had any leaks since then. I wonder if the aftermarket will come out with some sort of trans dip stick or way to check the level for the Stangs..... Thanks for the post.
Old 6/19/05, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

No dip stick from dipsticks.

French Made; I guess it had to be unpredictable.
Old 6/19/05, 10:47 AM
FR500 Member

We aren't the only ones. It's a trend for some odd reason. My 2004 Pilot, no dipstick. My neighbors 4 Runner, no dipstick.

No dipstick for you!

To be honest I like the overfill theory. It makes sense. Even though my leak problem was different. It was intermittent at first. It first happened after a long spirited road trip. I thought that maybe it just got a little "hot", foamed out and bled a little off.

After cleaning the ATF off, it didn't return until the next road trip. Repeated what I had done the first time, leak went away again. Third time was the kicker, it constantly leaked and left a good amount of fluid on the garage floor. I shut her down and got an appointment scheduled ASAP. It was a good in a way, because there was no doubt when I brought it in.