GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Any reasons why you would not get a CAI

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/07, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPStang06
I'm no tech when it goes past normal maintenance on an engine so correct me if I am wrong but doesn't most SC applications such as a Whipple and Magnacharger have CAI's on them?
Yes, most come with a CAI that fits that specific blower. But buying one for an N/A car, most likely won't fit with the SC later on. The Saleen blower may be the exception. A couple of the standard CAIs can be made to fit I believe.
Old 7/17/07, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
WARNING! DO NOT install a CAI if you want your car to improve in throttle lag and performance! BTW the JLT intake IMO is still the best bang for the buck out there!
What does this mean?
Old 7/17/07, 11:04 AM
GT Member

it means sarcasm :P
Old 7/17/07, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by King Taco
it means sarcasm :P
Ahh.
Old 7/17/07, 11:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
BTW the JLT intake IMO is still the best bang for the buck out there!
I heard that somewhere too
Old 7/17/07, 11:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
Yes, most come with a CAI that fits that specific blower. But buying one for an N/A car, most likely won't fit with the SC later on. The Saleen blower may be the exception. A couple of the standard CAIs can be made to fit I believe.
Thanks Don, I figured. It was late and wasn't paying attention to the the whole topic.
Old 7/17/07, 12:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by black sunshine
I'd like to drive a Mustang GT with a CAI and tune in it before I made my decision but I don't know of anybody here in CT who has the setup and would be willing to let me take there car out for a spin.
Where do you live? I'd be more than happy to let you take a spin.
The big thing that I like about my tune is the throttle response. You say you love the car and it is fun to drive. I felt the same way and had my doubts, but one spin with TacoBill (this was before the 4.10's) and I was sold. Since getting the tune I love driving the car more. It is a real blast to drive now. As good as they are stock, they are so much more fun with the tune. I wish i could get a supercharger but there is no way I'll ever afford it. I might race at the strip now and then just for fun, but as a daily driver mine is a blast to drive.
So if your east the Rio Grande and south of the Mason-Dixon let me know... I travel a lot and I prefer to drive.
Old 7/17/07, 12:52 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for all your answers and offer of help. Piper I live in NY so if you are around I would love to take you up on the offer

From a state inspection perspective do you all get through with no problems and your local dealer is ok with warranty?
Old 7/18/07, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I was checking out pics on Bama's site and it looks like Doug has the aluminum C&L on his car. I guess if it is good enough for him it's good enough for me, lol. On my 89 I have nice hot engine oil fed to my SC and a aluminum discharge tube, not to mention the aluminum intake pipe. It gets freaking hot and has never had any heat soak issues. Just get you the CAI and tune. You will not be disappointed. I agree with the rest of them. The car is a whole new beast and a blast to drive now. Only problem I have had is trying to keep my foot from pressing the gas pedel to the floor everthime I take off, lol.
Old 7/18/07, 07:44 PM

has anyone experimented by opening up a factory airbox and changing tube dia as well as filter change ie;KN ? If so what kind of results did u get?
Old 7/19/07, 06:38 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steph
has anyone experimented by opening up a factory airbox and changing tube dia as well as filter change ie;KN ? If so what kind of results did u get?
I have, and I get the same results as I got with the K&N Air Charger about 10 hp gain and better mileage.

I am also looking into adding a 90mm MAF to the Stock Lid now that I cut off the origional.. I am looking for a larger
intake tube that will fit the throttle body.

There is some issues with the CAI / Tune and Emissions Inspection.
If your State tests the OBD PCM for Ready state of the Monitors Like Cat readyness, EGR, O2 and H02 sensors then there is a problem. all tunes seem to disable the monitors this causes a failed condition when testing, you need to put your car back to stock when going for inspection, this kills any idea to use the Steeda Deletes because it is harder to put your stock tune back once you have made this mod.

If you don't plan to Race and don't want to spend a ton of money, I would
use a chop saw and cut the MAF housing off of the stock air box, buy a Spectre Air filter for 30 bucks and mount that on the MAF and bam.. Home Made CAI for 30 bucks. better milage and a pony or two extra power. you can even order a heat shield from C&L or JLT for the extra look.
Attached Thumbnails Any reasons why you would not get a CAI-image_061.jpg   Any reasons why you would not get a CAI-image_062.jpg   Any reasons why you would not get a CAI-image_060.jpg  
Old 7/19/07, 06:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the JLT and have no problems with inspection or otherwise.

I cannot imagine my car with out it! Not just for the power, but for the looks you get when people look under the hood. It is not suttle
Old 7/19/07, 07:42 AM
GT Member

This might sound like a dumb question, but can a CAI effect the longevity of the engine?
Old 7/19/07, 07:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jpro
This might sound like a dumb question, but can a CAI effect the longevity of the engine?
Technicly Yes and No.. If your tune is lean; yes, if the tune has the correct Air and Fuel settings no.

Most often a crappy mail order tune can lean out your A/F mix and potentially damage your engine. The K&N and other Non Tune CAI's are ok because they utilize the stop MAF housing and sensor, then you are ok. The only issue with the K&N oil filters is that if they are over oiled thay can foul the sensor in the MAF housing and cause a CEL, you will then need to clean the sensor with canned air.
Old 7/19/07, 10:27 AM
V6 Member

I got a tune first and was a night and day difference. Put a C&L CAI, with corresponding tune upgrade, no e.t. difference at all.
Old 7/19/07, 12:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If my only choice was a Steeda "CAI" (I think their set up is a joke for what they're charging), I would live with the spongy throttle response and stock airbox.
Old 7/19/07, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by steph
I put a K&N drop-in filter in the stock intake when I first got the car. Made a very slight difference in acceleration and throttle response, but around town gas milage increased by 1 MPG right away, and I saw a 1.5 MPG increase on the highway.

Back to the CAI discussion, I can't think of a reason not to get one unless you can think of something better to spend $300-600 on. That and I've noticed 1 or 2 worse MPG around town, even while driving at a normal pace. Highway milage is definitely elevated though. But it did make a huge difference in the way the car drives and SOUNDS. The stock exhaust is very subdued compared with the very agressive tone you get with a CAI. And while the stock intake yeilds a gradual rise to full volume when you hit the pedal, the sound of the engine seems burst into a full roar with the CAI and tune. I know it sounds rediculous, but it's true, at least from my experience.
Old 7/19/07, 07:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kevinb120
ahhh if you only knew... I drive stock new ones all the time and holy smokes I can't imagine it being like that again

That's right!! You just can't go back to stock when you've tasted what the CAI/tune combo gives you. JLT II and Bamachips 87 Perf in my case, good for 27.1 hp on an automatic car!
Old 7/19/07, 09:44 PM
GT Member

So which CAI, in your opinion, makes the car sound better? Is it JLT, Steeda, etc? Or are they all about the same. Not only will I be going for hp, but I want it to sound meaner too.
Old 7/20/07, 12:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jpro
So which CAI, in your opinion, makes the car sound better? Is it JLT, Steeda, etc? Or are they all about the same. Not only will I be going for hp, but I want it to sound meaner too.
The JLT and C&L will sound better than the Steeda because the intake tubes are larger and solid and the Steeda uses the Stock intake tube with the ridges and that will muffle the sound abit.

Quick Reply: Any reasons why you would not get a CAI