GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

4.6 3v Maximum Hp Without Super Charging

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/06, 08:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.6 3v Maximum Hp Without Super Charging

I started this thread for one reason to find from far more knowledgeable Mustang GT owners than myself as to the HP out put potential of the GT 4.6 3v without using a Super Charger!
Old 12/1/06, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The highest NA 4.6 3V that I've seen is around 347 horse at the wheels..... it has about every bolt-on you can get right now including cold air, pullies, electric pump, headers, throttlebody, delete plates, and cams. Go to www.brenspeed.com for more details.
Old 12/1/06, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With out a supercharger and without forged internals you are looking at about 330 to 335 HP out of the stock 3V 4.6 engine. That basically includes removing the Cats, more free flowing exhuast, retune for 91 octane with a 12:1 AF ratio. Get rid of the stock airbox and add a CAI, COLD air intake, new coils, new fuel injectors (39lbs) and headers. These changes will net you about 30 to 40 hp over the stock GT. Its is reliable and efficient. Add a superchager and you can up the anty to about 500 Hp. There is a big discussion on this throughout other forums, but this is what you can get.
Old 12/1/06, 08:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by NiteHawk422
With out a supercharger and without forged internals you are looking at about 330 to 335 HP out of the stock 3V 4.6 engine. That basically includes removing the Cats, more free flowing exhuast, retune for 91 octane with a 12:1 AF ratio. Get rid of the stock airbox and add a CAI, COLD air intake, new coils, new fuel injectors (39lbs) and headers. These changes will net you about 30 to 40 hp over the stock GT. Its is reliable and efficient. Add a superchager and you can up the anty to about 500 Hp. There is a big discussion on this throughout other forums, but this is what you can get.
does your figure include ud pullys or due you feel theres any real gain there..
Old 12/1/06, 08:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
The highest NA 4.6 3V that I've seen is around 347 horse at the wheels..... it has about every bolt-on you can get right now including cold air, pullies, electric pump, headers, throttlebody, delete plates, and cams. Go to www.brenspeed.com for more details.
Thanks tom, I have the C&L CAI SCT tuned by brenspeed, do you feel the HP gained with the cams warrants the cost..
Old 12/1/06, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

do you think there are mods up coming that could push it in the 400 hp range..
Old 12/1/06, 09:11 PM
FR500 Member

Well, there is talk of a new intake coming from F.A.S.T and about the only other mod I could think of is a good port and polish on the heads, definately not a bolt on, unless you buy the heads already done from someone like Livernois Motorsports.
Old 12/1/06, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Thanks tom, I have the C&L CAI SCT tuned by brenspeed, do you feel the HP gained with the cams warrants the cost..
Well, its alot of cash for the power but if I had the money, I'd do it.

Originally Posted by SixtySix
Well, there is talk of a new intake coming from F.A.S.T and about the only other mod I could think of is a good port and polish on the heads, definately not a bolt on, unless you buy the heads already done from someone like Livernois Motorsports.
Yep, p&p the heads is the only other thing I can think of right now.
Old 12/1/06, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

Here is all the bolt-ons: intake,exhaust,mid-pipe,headers,tuner,throttle body,coil-on plugs,intake spacer,cams,heads,water pump,fuel injectors,CMD plates,and the F.A.S.T Intake Manifold.
Old 12/1/06, 09:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mustangfan123
Here is all the bolt-ons: intake,exhaust,mid-pipe,headers,tuner,throttle body,coil-on plugs,intake spacer,cams,heads,water pump,fuel injectors,CMD plates,and the F.A.S.T Intake Manifold.
Thanks thats everything I had comprised as a list..
Old 12/2/06, 12:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

I started this thread for one reason to find from far more knowledgeable Mustang GT owners than myself as to the HP out put potential of the GT 4.6 3v without using a Super Charger!
That's easy, use a turbocharger!

Really though, you could use nitrous too!

Seriously, if you mean N/A...I would say 350 - 450 RWHP.

It could be had, it would take quite a bit of money, but is definitely possible. More than just picking certain parts to replace, it takes swapping out parts with different brands to see what the ultimate combination is on your specific car. (that's what would take so much money, you would most likely lose money on every part you bought that you ended up selling)

Camshafts, headers, mid-pipe, exhaust, ported and polished heads, valve springs, valve retainers, valves, pistons, rods, windage tray, oil pan, oil cooler, underdrive pulleys, water pump pulley, CMCV delete plates, throttle body, throttle body spacer, intake, intake manifold, lightweight flywheel, maybe a new lighter crankshaft, spark plugs, fuel injectors, coil packs, coil-on-plug connectors, low-temp thermostat, and finally probably the most essential thing: tuning.
Old 12/2/06, 07:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Stang281
That's easy, use a turbocharger!

Really though, you could use nitrous too!

Seriously, if you mean N/A...I would say 350 - 450 RWHP.

It could be had, it would take quite a bit of money, but is definitely possible. More than just picking certain parts to replace, it takes swapping out parts with different brands to see what the ultimate combination is on your specific car. (that's what would take so much money, you would most likely lose money on every part you bought that you ended up selling)

Camshafts, headers, mid-pipe, exhaust, ported and polished heads, valve springs, valve retainers, valves, pistons, rods, windage tray, oil pan, oil cooler, underdrive pulleys, water pump pulley, CMCV delete plates, throttle body, throttle body spacer, intake, intake manifold, lightweight flywheel, maybe a new lighter crankshaft, spark plugs, fuel injectors, coil packs, coil-on-plug connectors, low-temp thermostat, and finally probably the most essential thing: tuning.
Thanks stang281 I'm aware of most of these modifications and and have done most of these over the years on different engines, I guess what I'm looking for is someone thats taken the time to do them! There was a time when building a natural air breathing engine was the preferred art form, I personally am still more impressed by beautifully built engine that attains great HP Gaines, than one thats had a Super Charger slapped on it or just nitrous pumped in to it There was a time when how the HP was attained was as important as attaining it ... thanks for your time and input..
Old 12/2/06, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks stang281 I'm aware of most of these modifications and and have done most of these over the years on different engines, I guess what I'm looking for is someone thats taken the time to do them! There was a time when building a natural air breathing engine was the preferred art form, I personally am still more impressed by beautifully built engine that attains great HP Gaines, than one thats had a Super Charger slapped on it or just nitrous pumped in to it There was a time when how the HP was attained was as important as attaining it ... thanks for your time and input..
No problem.

I plan on getting around 325-350 RWHP (cams, headers, mid-pipe, exhaust, water pump, low-temp t-stat, tuning, cmcv plates, pulleys, coil packs, coil-on-plug connectors, throttle body, throttle body spacer, intake, lightweight flywheel, spark plugs, and fuel injectors). After that, i'll be going forced induction. I just don't believe in opening the engine (to get to the block) unless you are reinforcing the parts for forced induction. I could see it for road-race/autocross applications, but just not for street.
Old 12/2/06, 09:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Stang281
No problem.

I plan on getting around 325-350 RWHP (cams, headers, mid-pipe, exhaust, water pump, low-temp t-stat, tuning, cmcv plates, pulleys, coil packs, coil-on-plug connectors, throttle body, throttle body spacer, intake, lightweight flywheel, spark plugs, and fuel injectors). After that, i'll be going forced induction. I just don't believe in opening the engine (to get to the block) unless you are reinforcing the parts for forced induction. I could see it for road-race/autocross applications, but just not for street.
I understand were your coming from theres been a couple times I regretted opening up a good tight motor! Good luck with your mods..Drive fast.. Stay low...
Old 12/4/06, 07:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

bump
Old 12/4/06, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

After you've done all the "boltons" and got a little over 300-350whp, why not toss on a little nitrous?

It's just giving your car more O2 to burn and your just giving it more gas to burn..

I've always considered nitrous an N/A part as it really doesnt force anything. It kinda dangles that O2 out there in front of the TB and if your car didn't want it, it didnt have to take it
Old 12/4/06, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Say NO to the bottle!