GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

3.73 over 4.10...Lidio recommends?

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/06, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by anike7
What is the point of this thread. People bash lidio because of what one guy says. We are not that shallow are we? It is funny that all knowing doug also doesn't recommend 4.10 for the auto's. If you question lidio, call him and ask him. Doug by the way will let you blow your car up because he doesn't ask questions afterall it is your car, do what you want. Thats not who I want working on my car. Lidio is in the business of building your car faster. He did have a guy install 4.10's in his 05 auto, and the guy came back ****ed off because his 1/4 mile times were slower. Lidio changed them to a 3.55 and the guy was happy. Lidio is not going to let you destroy your car, and just do as you ask. He is by far the most experienced in his field. If you have questions, go to the source and not everybody's opinions on these forums. I know this stuff about lidio because I live about two miles from his shop, and frequent there quite often. He has done a lot of work for me and guarantees the reliability, longevity, and performance of his work. That's what I want, not some guy who will just let me destroy my car.
4.10s will not blow your car up, that's a stupid statement. Doug doesn't recommend 4.10s for an auto either but that doesn't mean they won't work. Dougs tunes are excellent and he's never blown a motor. And he takes great care of his customers.
Old 10/17/06, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My reply about blowing up your car was referring to dougs statement in the fact that he says it is your car you can do what you want with it. Lidio is more conservative with his tunes because he factors in safety and reliability, but his tunes for auto's are second to none. If you feel yours is soft he can adjust it. I was not saying putting 4.10's in your car will blow it up. Oh and yeah, what is it, the more post I have of speculation and opinion the more reliable of a source I am. Dougs new to the game compared to lidio so in any business customer service is high to gain customers. Lidio has the backing of over 15 years focusing solely on modifying mustangs and has a huge customer base, but his customer service is still good, but may take a little patience. In regards to not giving a tune for 4.10's because he doesn't recommend them, I will ask him tomorrow as I am going to his shop for pulleys tomorrow. Also, highroller, who are you to bash lidio's customer service. How many post does it take to bash someone. It is also stupid to assume from my post that I said 4.10's will blow your motor Chimp.
Old 10/17/06, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by anike7
Also, highroller, who are you to bash lidio's customer service. How many post does it take to bash someone. It is also stupid to assume from my post that I said 4.10's will blow your motor Chimp.
I can bash Lidio's customer service based on MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I'm not speculating. He flat out refused to help me. Period... Doug helped me... FOR FREE. He was under no obligation. How hard would it have been for Lidio to adjust my stupid tune (that he sold me) instead of saying I shouldn't have put in 4.10's. If that's his idea of customer sevice...it sucks.
Old 10/17/06, 06:54 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK....I think this has gone on long enough. Get back to the topic and if you want to discuss issues with tuners, then feel free to PM each other or send each other emails.....
Old 10/17/06, 07:30 PM

I'm one of Lidio's customers, I have an automatic, and this last spring I decided to try 4.10s against his recommendation, because I wanted to make my own opinion of them.

In my case, those gears didn't do anything for ET, and lowered trap speed. So I backed down to 3.55s and added a converter, which brought trap speed up a little higher, and shaved 0.6 off my ET on street tires. This setup was what Lidio recommended in the first place.

Now my personal opinion is that 3.55s with 27" tires feels like a perfectly balanced daily driver and occasional racing car to me. Although some might question the 3800 stall converter for a daily driver, Lidio set up the tune to lock converter at 60mph in 5th, or 40mph with cruise control on, and that works flawlessly. I get between 19-20mpg in an average week of commuting.

For anyone with an automatic, I will recommend spending the cash on a converter instead of gears... I would have just put back the stock 3.31s if they hadn't gotten damaged during removal, so since I had to buy new gears anyway I went with 3.55s.
Old 10/17/06, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lab1702
I'm one of Lidio's customers, I have an automatic, and this last spring I decided to try 4.10s against his recommendation, because I wanted to make my own opinion of them.

In my case, those gears didn't do anything for ET, and lowered trap speed. So I backed down to 3.55s and added a converter, which brought trap speed up a little higher, and shaved 0.6 off my ET on street tires. This setup was what Lidio recommended in the first place.

For anyone with an automatic, I will recommend spending the cash on a converter instead of gears... I would have just put back the stock 3.31s if they hadn't gotten damaged during removal, so since I had to buy new gears anyway I went with 3.55s.
That's funny. You've posted in other threads that you were using Dougs tunes and liked his "race tune" the best. see below

Originally Posted by lab1702
I've now also tried all 3 tunes from Doug.. and by far the race tune fits my car the best. I have an automatic with 4.10s, so the tq tune really isn't at its strongest RPM range for any noticable amount of time when I step on it. The performance tune was better, but I like the race tune the best.

The race tune also seems to do something different in how it manages shifting and converter lockup. I don't have a trans temp gauge, but during city driving, the center console area would get noticably hotter after I put the 4.10s in and used the tq and performance tunes, but with the race tune it's back down to normal temps...
Old 10/18/06, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by HiRoller
That's funny. You've posted in other threads that you were using Dougs tunes and liked his "race tune" the best. see below
Yes, I did try all 3 of Doug's tunes, and of those I liked his race tune the best. I like to try to get as much first hand knowledge as possible about mods and tunes.

At this time, I have used Lidio's tune for a few months. He did alot of adjustments to the shift schedule since my car was the first 05 he had done with a TCI converter, and I'm very happy with the result.
Old 10/18/06, 06:04 AM
V6 Member

So all in all, the synopsis seems to be that for autos, 3.55 or 3.73 will give you the best balance between performance and ride/mileage. To boot, tuners seem to advocate using these gears as well.

An off-topic question, but half this thread has been off topic....how does Lidio do with the throttle response issue on his tunes. Alternative Auto is here in town, and I was deciding between them and one other place for my first tune. I really liked how he recommended a "balanced" approach to tuning....
Old 10/18/06, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pferd
So all in all, the synopsis seems to be that for autos, 3.55 or 3.73 will give you the best balance between performance and ride/mileage. To boot, tuners seem to advocate using these gears as well.

An off-topic question, but half this thread has been off topic....how does Lidio do with the throttle response issue on his tunes. Alternative Auto is here in town, and I was deciding between them and one other place for my first tune. I really liked how he recommended a "balanced" approach to tuning....
The throttle response is night and day compared to stock and the shifts are quick and snappy at WOT. The lag is pretty much non-existent. he raises the redline and the motor spins up there pretty quick. If you live near his shop, I would recommend his tune with a C&L intake. You might even want to go one step further and get dyno tuned. Every car is a little different. This way, you'll get the most out of his tune. My personal feelings about his customer service has nothing to do with the fact that I really did like his tune before i did the gears.
Old 10/18/06, 08:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HiRoller
The throttle response is night and day compared to stock and the shifts are quick and snappy at WOT. The lag is pretty much non-existent. he raises the redline and the motor spins up there pretty quick. If you live near his shop, I would recommend his tune with a C&L intake. You might even want to go one step further and get dyno tuned. Every car is a little different. This way, you'll get the most out of his tune. My personal feelings about his customer service has nothing to do with the fact that I really did like his tune before i did the gears.
Ditto!!! I totally agree.
Scott
Old 10/18/06, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pferd

And for manuals what seems to be the best, between performanceand ride/MPG?
Old 10/18/06, 09:29 AM
Banned

Please dont tank my responce as anything against Lidio either, I'm not here to down anyone as they are all my friends. I too switched to 4:10's in my own automatic car to test the waters and didn't like them, I'm now back to 3:55's and that's what I suggest for all of my auto owners.

Now, as for the blowing the engine stuff and recommendations. What I was saying is that is YOUR car, I dont make the payments. If you want to paint it pink and gold I'm not going to stop and say I wont support your tuning anymore. Now, there are limits to my tuning as well, I wont do Supercharger mail order tuning, nor high HP nitrous tuning. There are also CAI's that I dont support via mail order because I haven't dynotuned to them. I'm not here to give you info to blow your engine, beleive me if I think you're doing something wrong I'll tell you, but I only give recommendations, not rules. Like I said before, I can't tell you what to do to YOUR car.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 10/18/06, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
Please dont tank my responce as anything against Lidio either, I'm not here to down anyone as they are all my friends. I too switched to 4:10's in my own automatic car to test the waters and didn't like them, I'm now back to 3:55's and that's what I suggest for all of my auto owners.

Now, as for the blowing the engine stuff and recommendations. What I was saying is that is YOUR car, I dont make the payments. If you want to paint it pink and gold I'm not going to stop and say I wont support your tuning anymore. Now, there are limits to my tuning as well, I wont do Supercharger mail order tuning, nor high HP nitrous tuning. There are also CAI's that I dont support via mail order because I haven't dynotuned to them. I'm not here to give you info to blow your engine, beleive me if I think you're doing something wrong I'll tell you, but I only give recommendations, not rules. Like I said before, I can't tell you what to do to YOUR car.

Thanks, Doug.
Now that's classy!!
Old 10/18/06, 04:37 PM
Cobra R Member

[quote=pferd;762403]So all in all, the synopsis seems to be that for autos, 3.55 or 3.73 will give you the best balance between performance and ride/mileage. To boot, tuners seem to advocate using these gears as well.

An off-topic question, but half this thread has been off topic....how does Lidio do with the throttle response issue on his tunes.

This is an easy one. Very fast response. Like I said blip it a little and it jumps four feet. Almost ran into the garage door the first time was a huge surprise!
Old 10/19/06, 10:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Doug,

I have a Predator that I got from C&L when I bought the "Racer" intake. All of the reading I have done has just about convinced me that I need one of your 93 octane torque tunes. My question to you is this, do I have to buy another tuner from you or can I use the one I have and load your tune into it?

Jon
Old 10/20/06, 04:41 AM
GT Member

Jon, I believe he can only do SCT's according to his website. Here's the link. Could always call to make sure.

http://www.bamachips.com/store/index...1db8203c6eb51c