GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The 08 Bullitt intake, everything you wanted to know and more, Dynotesting...

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/07, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex

I noticed that based on the stock MAF's air transfer function, Ford essentially chose the stock airbox for the stock engine because they seemed to be sized proportionally for the engine's hp/fuel requirements. The V6's air transfer function is different and is sized more appropriately for a smaller engine.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the transfer function related to the diameter of the MAF housing, and not the airbox itself? In other words, with a given rate of flow across the sensor, the actual amount of air ingested by the engine is a function of tubing diameter where the sensor is housed... Given that, the airbox itself, as well as the inlet tube have no bearing on the transfer function, and are thus chosen for different reasons.
Old 12/31/07, 01:27 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Generally speaking, you're looking at more losses than gains with dyno error. Thinking otherwise is being overly optimistic or part of a plan to try and sell a product.

It also depends on how high the IAT is because the PCM pulls ignition timing only above a certain temperature, and even then it is multiplied by a value in a table as part of the final spark calculation. The stock 07 GT calibration calls for pulling ignition timing above 100F IAT, but the actual value is just part of the final spark calculation. It is not directly added/subtracted from this final spark. Unless you plan to drag race in Death Valley at 120F ambient, it won't be a significant problem. The OEM does extensive cold temperature and high temperature testing with the stock airbox to prevent engine damage in extreme conditions (the PCM advances spark at colder temperatures).

Real world test results can be easily skewed to convey a point or to sell a product. The engine needs a finite quantity of air for a given configuration. Using an air intake or exhaust designed for significantly more flow will not cause you to gain significantly more power.

I noticed that based on the stock MAF's air transfer function, Ford essentially chose the stock airbox for the stock engine because they seemed to be sized proportionally for the engine's hp/fuel requirements. The V6's air transfer function is different and is sized more appropriately for a smaller engine.
nicely put, the FRPP catalog has an interesting article that touches on your comments about dyno testing and how deviant testing methods can skew results and it gives an idea behind the thought process involved with the stock calibration as well.
Old 12/31/07, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered a Bullitt CAI from Kevin. Doug got number 1, I got number 2
Old 1/1/08, 11:48 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Charlie,
You need to spend some of your hard earned money on a CAI and tuner. Your butt would be a happy camper!!! You can feel the difference!
Scott
No doubt, get out from behind your abacus, sliderules and computer and actually DO SOMETHING for once.
Old 1/1/08, 06:52 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Being that Steeda designs the FRPP CAI. I'm curious if they also design the Bullitt, and the new V-6 intake for Ford Racing..

But then again, the more I look at the Bullitt airbox. It seems to look as though Airaid may have designed it as well. As Airaid's airbox, has a similar wrap around appearance, and also uses a similar S-curved intake inlet..
Old 1/1/08, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Being that Steeda designs the FRPP CAI. I'm curious if they also design the Bullitt, and the new V-6 intake for Ford Racing..

But then again, the more I look at the Bullitt airbox. It seems to look as though Airaid may have designed it as well. As Airaid's airbox, has a similar wrap around appearance, and also uses a similar S-curved intake inlet..
It looks like pure Dearborn OEM to me.
Old 1/2/08, 04:40 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,736 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Roush Designed the BULLITT CAI as far as I know.

KC
Old 1/2/08, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Roush Designed the BULLITT CAI as far as I know.

KC
And guess who designs the Roush CAI..Airaid !
Old 1/2/08, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 65sohc
It looks like pure Dearborn OEM to me.
I definitely agree. it does look pure factory OEM, but the question is..why is the Ford racing logo stamped on it..
Old 1/3/08, 07:22 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I definitely agree. it does look pure factory OEM, but the question is..why is the Ford racing logo stamped on it..
It looks to me that the new Bullitt CAI intake has some fit issues.... note photo from Bullitt #95 for sale on ebay!..... crunched air filter....and the seal that goes across the CAI intake tube on the shroud loose and not attached on one end!....
Attached Thumbnails The 08 Bullitt intake, everything you wanted to know and more, Dynotesting...-85159702-8sm-1-.jpg  
Old 1/3/08, 03:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't think the crumpled filter is a problem with fitment. Somebody probably pushed on it a little hard when they were checking out the car. Those pleats are fairly easy to bend, but it will not cause any problems with performance of the filter.
Old 1/4/08, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I don't think the crumpled filter is a problem with fitment. Somebody probably pushed on it a little hard when they were checking out the car. Those pleats are fairly easy to bend, but it will not cause any problems with performance of the filter.
Steve I've got a CAI myself, I understand the tensil strengh of the air filter! honestly I dont think the reason it is collapsed is from being pushed on! More likely if one looks at the photo you see a basic CAI but one big difference from most aftermarket CAI's filter clips to the side wall of the intake shroud.
Old 1/4/08, 03:47 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Speaking of the Bullitt, has anybody confirmed a hardware change beyond the damper and the CAI? Is the adaptive ignition and overall Bullitt tune merely updated code in the ECM?
Old 1/4/08, 08:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Speaking of the Bullitt, has anybody confirmed a hardware change beyond the damper and the CAI? Is the adaptive ignition and overall Bullitt tune merely updated code in the ECM?
I'd like to know too and where is this CAI and Bullitt tune available?
Old 1/4/08, 09:34 PM

Probably from Ford racing. In the meantime, I believe KC had mentioned that he has them as well.
Old 1/5/08, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got mine from KC.
Old 1/5/08, 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SixtySix
No doubt, get out from behind your abacus, sliderules and computer and actually DO SOMETHING for once.
He's already calculated that it's mathematically impossible for something good to happen! We've tried to tell him that the real world is much different but, he won't listen.
Old 1/8/08, 07:31 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,736 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by JonW
I just ordered a Bullitt CAI from Kevin. Doug got number 1, I got number 2
Shipped Today!

KC
Old 1/9/08, 12:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by bob
5.0 Mustang mag, March '08 issue also states the Bullitt shifter is a running hardware change for all manual tranny 2008 Mustangs. Others report this is not a Hurst/FRPP shifter, it is a new OEM shifter. Kevin do you have any catalog pics of this shifter - Reply in the Bullitt shifter thread!
Old 1/9/08, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Shipped Today!

KC
How much?

Quick Reply: The 08 Bullitt intake, everything you wanted to know and more, Dynotesting...