GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

05 Coil Packs Tested

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/06, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you read this post please understand I found this on another forum and have had skeptical views of this product myself, particularly the manufacturer as he has proven his "say whatever you want" posting. I am now considering this upgrade especially with boost around the corner.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread....9687#post669687

Derek
Old 2/21/06, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Very interesting. If this is true, then technically, since these are helping the fuel to burn more efficiently, you should see increased gas mileage as well.
Old 2/21/06, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds great to me, nice to see justin testing them out. A good thing for us nitrous guys, and the blown guys indeed.

IMO...I dont think theres any need for any type of "digs" towards the manufacturer. This is about a product, and a product that works.
Old 2/21/06, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Wonder if they do anything for a N/A car
Old 2/21/06, 03:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

it claims 15 HP with a N/A vehicle.
Old 2/21/06, 04:43 PM
RPM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 21, 2006, 4:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
it claims 15 HP with a N/A vehicle.
[/b][/quote]

That, I find very hard to believe unless that "N/A" vehicle is highly modified.
Old 2/21/06, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RPM @ February 21, 2006, 3:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That, I find very hard to believe unless that "N/A" vehicle is highly modified.
[/b][/quote]
Like wise.

-Dan
Old 2/21/06, 05:29 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Impressive gains
Old 2/21/06, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Good find Derek...I like how these are looking especially with boost... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 09:15 PM
V6 Member

Some of you guys just kill me. Granatelli comes on this forum and tells you he has some great products for our cars. Various individuals on this forum, Don W. Vegasjay etc . . . crucify him. Essentially calling him an idiot and a liar . Every time someone tests his claims, whether it be throttle body or coil packs - guess what? They do exactly what J.R. said they would do. And now of all people dhof303 speaks out of both sides of his mouth claiming skepticism of Granatelli while claiming he wants to buy his product because it works exactly like Granatelli said it would.

Sooner or later some people around here are going to have to admit 1) J.R. just might know what he's talking about. 2) J.R. might just be producing some quality products. 3) J.R. has been treated unfairly by members of this forum.

And I don't buy the argument that he deserves the treatment because of the "tone" of his posts. All the guy did was enthusiastically promote his products and express his opinion on other products on the market. Which just happens to be something that virtually every enthusiast on this forum does with respect to products on their own vehicles.

Anyone's claims should be challenged but the personal attacks against him are disgusting and completely unjustified. I'm hoping other manufacturer's come on this forum to solicit our opinions and tell us about their new products, but if they see the reception J.R. got, I wouldn't blame them for having second thoughts And that Gentlemen is a diservice to this forum.

Incidentally, because I know the accusation is sure to come, I'm not on Granatelli's payroll nor do I need to be. I met the guy one time and he was a great guy. I have a couple of his products and their great products in my humble opinion (because I'm no expert). I decided to get these coil packs a while back based on my experience with the throttle body and Granatelli personally. I speak up for the guy because I don't like to see people being bullied here or anywhere.
Old 2/21/06, 09:52 PM
V6 Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly do coil packs do?
Old 2/21/06, 10:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lawman @ February 21, 2006, 8:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Some of you guys just kill me. Granatelli comes on this forum and tells you he has some great products for our cars. Various individuals on this forum, Don W. Vegasjay etc . . . crucify him. Essentially calling him an idiot and a liar . [/b][/quote]
Now where have I said anything about these coilpacks??? You just had to drag me into this thread. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lawman @ February 21, 2006, 8:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sooner or later some people around here are going to have to admit 1) J.R. just might know what he's talking about. 2) J.R. might just be producing some quality products. 3) J.R. has been treated unfairly by members of this forum.

And I don't buy the argument that he deserves the treatment because of the "tone" of his posts. All the guy did was enthusiastically promote his products and express his opinion on other products on the market. Which just happens to be something that virtually every enthusiast on this forum does with respect to products on their own vehicles.

Anyone's claims should be challenged but the personal attacks against him are disgusting and completely unjustified. I'm hoping other manufacturer's come on this forum to solicit our opinions and tell us about their new products, but if they see the reception J.R. got, I wouldn't blame them for having second thoughts And that Gentlemen is a diservice to this forum.
[/b][/quote]

You obviously haven't read all the posts going back a month or so, otherwise you wouldn't have misstated the facts about who was attacking whom.
Old 2/21/06, 10:14 PM
Cobra Member

Some of you guys just kill me. Granatelli comes on this forum and tells you he has some great products for our cars. Various individuals on this forum, Don W. Vegasjay etc . . . crucify him. Essentially calling him an idiot and a liar . Every time someone tests his claims, whether it be throttle body or coil packs - guess what? They do exactly what J.R. said they would do. And now of all people dhof303 speaks out of both sides of his mouth claiming skepticism of Granatelli while claiming he wants to buy his product because it works exactly like Granatelli said it would.

Incidentally, because I know the accusation is sure to come, I'm not on Granatelli's payroll nor do I need to be. I met the guy one time and he was a great guy. I have a couple of his products and their great products in my humble opinion (because I'm no expert). I decided to get these coil packs a while back based on my experience with the throttle body and Granatelli personally. I speak up for the guy because I don't like to see people being bullied here or anywhere.
[/b][/quote]

I don't like it when any manufacturer jumps on here in an aggressive manner...There is a line that gets crossed when they go from helping people (customers) to pushing their products and putting others down to do it...IMO this is a place for us (enthusiast) to communicate and help each other out. If a person "In the industry" wants to jump in and help I say good for them and appreciate their expertise. If they want to aggressively "pimp out" their product I say good day to them, that's all...Simple as that.

Now if this particular product is a true performer (still not 100% sold) and they make the only one then I guess I will have to buy it regardless of that person's domineer here...The bottom line is Horsepower after all...I try to do business with people I like but that's not always possible.

If you think I "crucified" him you should dig up some old "JLT" thread's. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] You will see my stance on "Industry" influence on the TMS hasn't changed one bit...
Old 2/21/06, 10:15 PM
Cobra Member

I love this forum.

Ima start my own E-thug group. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

-Dan
Old 2/21/06, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

[attachmentid=45660]
Old 2/21/06, 10:21 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ February 21, 2006, 9:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I love this forum.

Ima start my own E-thug group. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

-Dan
[/b][/quote]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] LOL
Old 2/21/06, 10:28 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

I'm partial to this one

[attachmentid=45661]
Old 2/21/06, 10:33 PM
Cobra Member

OMG, that's hilarious!
Old 2/21/06, 10:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lawman @ February 21, 2006, 10:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Some of you guys just kill me. Granatelli comes on this forum and tells you he has some great products for our cars. Various individuals on this forum, Don W. Vegasjay etc . . . crucify him. Essentially calling him an idiot and a liar . Every time someone tests his claims, whether it be throttle body or coil packs - guess what? They do exactly what J.R. said they would do. And now of all people dhof303 speaks out of both sides of his mouth claiming skepticism of Granatelli while claiming he wants to buy his product because it works exactly like Granatelli said it would. [/b][/quote]

I am not speaking out of both sides of my mouth. I did intend to avoid this talk about Granatelli and that is why I posted the original thread the way I did, in an attempt to voice that I was already aware that some members of the forum were less than satisfied with Granatelli's presentation...... I of all people understand what it is like to be labled "cocky" and that if anything "cocky" and "confident" are all a gray area called perception. Please, I mean sincerely to post this reply to your thread to ask for your understanding of why I even bothered with sharing the info I found on another board.

1. I found the product expensive and possibly related to other products that people can waste their money on just to say they have modded their 05 Mustang, such as: Aluminum radiator, yeah right, and all of the insane amount of frame stiffening out there even though this frame is 165% stronger than previous years. Do some people need this? Maybe so, if they are competing in SCCA or Full Heads up Drags, for most of the users, it would be a little too much. I don't know a lot about COP ignitions and today learned tons, hopefully to share with others that do some similar mods that there could be some valid proof to gaining rwhp from this product.

2. I do not stand to gain from sharing this thread, only personal relationships with other members on this board strengthened through mutual modding of our cars.

3. Regardless of character, and it truly remains to be seen in my opinion until I meet J.R. myself I am open to his products and research given that his customer service is adequate.

However; the way J.R. conducts himself here does not impress me, hardly a harmless debate.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread....&threadid=79246

I stand by my original post, and I intend to save the money for this mod, as I see it fit for my application proven by someone in the industry not directly related to Granatelli.

Derek
Old 2/21/06, 10:55 PM
V6 Member

Vegasjay, First of all I read your install thread with great interest and you got a great machine and you seem like a real knowledgeable car enthusiast. I do disagree with you about manufacturers coming on this forum though. It seems to me that if manufacturers come on this forum we can benefit in a number of ways. For Instance:

1) We can complain to them about their products.
2) We can suggests ways that they can improve their products.
3) We can suggest new products for them to manufacture.
4) We can address their exagerated claims to them directly.
5) We can sometimes get good deals directly from the manufacturers not given to the general public.

Remember this forum is a two way street. Manufacturers have to answer our questions, complaints, concerns, suggestions and sometimes advice. However, if the forum is seen as an uncivilized place where they are going to be subjected to personal attacks, this will not happen.

And you have also said something that I don't believe and that is you don't like J.R.. I don't think you ever even met the man. Your basing a highly individualized judgment on the basis of a few posts. You can like or dislike whoever you want but at least look a guy in the eye before you make that decision.

Bad manners by a minority, on this forum will bring about the result you desire VegasJay, however, it will be at the expense of what I have to believe are the majority of forum members who desire the info and the chance to give manufacturer's their input.

Quick Reply: 05 Coil Packs Tested