Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Viper backed down from challenge

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/05, 03:50 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rrobello, OK. I understand. And just so you know, none of this is personal. We all do dumb things. When I got my M3, I had to make sure that the throttle limiter worked -- so I tested it on a toll road in So Cal (the one back by El Toro). Yup it wouldn't let me go more than 148 (or some such). And when I get my 2007 Cobra, I'll probably be a moron at least once. But I'll take my licks when other people call me a reckless moron (the names fit the actions) ;-)
Old 1/18/05, 04:07 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

dke, no problem, wasnt taking it personally, I let most things roll off my back, I was just trying to eleviate the tension that was building in the forum...notice a lot of those people that kept reposting suddenly stopped when I called them out. I know I do some stupid stuff sometimes and sometimes I do it conciously and sometimes I realize after the fact that I am lucky to still be alive, if I were a cat I wouldve used up all of my nine lives long ago, I realize one day that my luck might run out at any given moment and are much more careful now, although I also dont want to shrivel up and die and not have lived, if I die doing something stupid while having fun so be it I guess, as long as I dont take anyone else with me. I never do anything stupid with others in my car for that reason, in fact having passengers has probably saved me a coupl of times because I stop out of respect and caring for those around me. But I have to have fun, at least for now, it might lessen with age, but for now, I HAVE THE NEED....THE NEED FOR SPEED. And yes the track is the best place to do it. But sometimes not always available. Like yesterday for instance, I got to drive the new Ferrari F430 out in an industrial area with a great stretch of road and wide open space with hardly anyone around, now not the safest of conditions at any moment a big loading truck could have pulled out from any of those offices, and it wasnt my car obviously could have wrecked something really expensive, but I took the opportunity and opened her up good. I got on her hard, and she was fast. It was worth it in my oppinion, would you have passed that up? Maybe I am the lesser person for having done so but I had to see if that baby could really go 0-60 in under 4 seconds and now can say it does and I did. (not the first time though, just first time in that car.)
Old 1/18/05, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

notice a lot of those people that kept reposting suddenly stopped when I called them out.
Yes, because just like the Viper driver, they're going thru a midlife crisis and/or are afraid of what you might do to them. It couldn't be because they were tired of the discussion.

I never do anything stupid with others in my car for that reason, in fact having passengers has probably saved me a coupl of times because I stop out of respect and caring for those around me.
So, have you considered the possibility that the guy in the Viper took the same approach?

Naaaaah.
Old 1/18/05, 05:37 PM
GT Member

Just a word of warning:

Do any of you plan on getting older? Do you plan on owning a fast car when you get older?

DONT DO IT. YOU WILL BE CALLED A YUPPIE AND INSULTED WHEN YOU DO. ESPECIALLY IF YOU DONT RACE EVERY PERSON DRIVING A MUSTANG THAT HAS A CHIP ON THERE SHOULDER!

Stereotyping is fun for everyone! HOORAY!
Old 1/18/05, 06:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by vwAirCooled@January 18, 2005, 6:40 PM
Stereotyping is fun for everyone! HOORAY!
Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Old 1/18/05, 06:20 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Forget the stereotyping.
A more important item hasn't been clarified... the "no *****" deal.

Please provide the eye witness details and analysis which let to that undisputable conclusion.

Old 1/18/05, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Just thought I would chime in here. Street racing reminds me a lot of going to a party with alcohol. You don't have to drink the alcohol and get drunk. You can have fun without it, but inevitably, people will test the limits and do what they think will make them have fun. You can have fun in your car without breaking the law, just like you can have fun at a party without drinking. Now I guess this isn't true for everybody (breaking the law by drinknig), since some of you are older than me (I'm 18). I don't plan on drinking when I'm older either, but that is your decision. The point is, for me they are good comparisons. Both might seem like good fun at the time, but once the consequence train comes chuggin into town you're screwed. Plus fun does not = happiness. People in this world need to learn contentment. Be content with what you have and don't screw it up to try and get more. I don't have a lot of things that I want, but learning to be content with what you have is the trick to being happy. If you enjoy and appreciate what you have, then you won't feel the need for "better or more" .. Just my two cents, take it or leave it. BTW: I would still like a 2005 Mustang. However, if I never get one, so be it. I can't have everything. I still like the cars.
Old 1/18/05, 07:07 PM
GTR Member

Viper owners are pansies, i would take a cobra and a hott chick too
Old 1/18/05, 07:10 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by rrobello@January 17, 2005, 1:48 AM
yeah or he is just another yuppy who buys an expensive sports car to indulge in his midlife crisis and does not have the ***** to exceed 60mph
alot of ppl will lift at 100 around here........
How fast do i/would i go? FLOOR
Old 1/18/05, 07:11 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by rrobello@January 18, 2005, 5:10 PM
dke, no problem, wasnt taking it personally, I let most things roll off my back, I was just trying to eleviate the tension that was building in the forum...notice a lot of those people that kept reposting suddenly stopped when I called them out. I know I do some stupid stuff sometimes and sometimes I do it conciously and sometimes I realize after the fact that I am lucky to still be alive, if I were a cat I wouldve used up all of my nine lives long ago, I realize one day that my luck might run out at any given moment and are much more careful now, although I also dont want to shrivel up and die and not have lived, if I die doing something stupid while having fun so be it I guess, as long as I dont take anyone else with me. I never do anything stupid with others in my car for that reason, in fact having passengers has probably saved me a coupl of times because I stop out of respect and caring for those around me. But I have to have fun, at least for now, it might lessen with age, but for now, I HAVE THE NEED....THE NEED FOR SPEED. And yes the track is the best place to do it. But sometimes not always available. Like yesterday for instance, I got to drive the new Ferrari F430 out in an industrial area with a great stretch of road and wide open space with hardly anyone around, now not the safest of conditions at any moment a big loading truck could have pulled out from any of those offices, and it wasnt my car obviously could have wrecked something really expensive, but I took the opportunity and opened her up good. I got on her hard, and she was fast. It was worth it in my oppinion, would you have passed that up? Maybe I am the lesser person for having done so but I had to see if that baby could really go 0-60 in under 4 seconds and now can say it does and I did. (not the first time though, just first time in that car.)
porsches wont put u in your seat HARD enough for u not to pull out wil a Ferrari? Mustangs will
Old 1/18/05, 07:18 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
The ownership and management of Themustangsource.com do not condone, endorse, approve of, or encourage speed contests on public roads, and messages posted on these forums by the membership reflect the views of the authors of said messages and do not reflect the views or opinions of the ownership of Themustangsource.com.

And Fordracing200 . . .I've witnessed a few Vipers at the dragstrip . . .their owners weren't 'pansies'.
Old 1/18/05, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

i only ever saw one viper, and it definetly was not a pansy driving it. Sorry for no pics, but i dont call 11.20 in the 1/4 a pansy.
Old 1/18/05, 07:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that most of us are hippocrites. I too will say that street racing is dangerous. I will also say that I think that almost all of us have done it to some extent. I've never dragged a guy up to 80 down city streets, but who hasn't raced someone beyond a few mph past the speed limit???
Anyway, that's my .02. As for the Viper not responding to the challenge...
I can see it now on the Pontiac Sunfire website... 05 Mustang GT backed down from a challenge...
Old 1/18/05, 07:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, I'm not sure about the rest of you, but after driving Mustangs since I was 17, people will ALWAYS challenge. In addition, the police will ALWAYS look. These cars attract natural attention, some good, some bad. It's all about making the right choices at the rights times. Have I hammered people with modified pickups that thing they've got god's vehicle? Yes. Have I hammered dumb kids with Hondas who won't yield till they're stomped? Yes. Do I do this often? NO. Do I recommend running someone at every light who looks at you? No. You're driving America's pony car. EVERYONE will look at you and try. Minivans, VW Beetles, Hondas, Camaros....everyone. The more you street race, the better the odds are that you'll have some incident and that's bad. Are there situations where you need to put someone in their place? Yes. Bottom line, this is America. We have big, wide sweet highways. We have lots of stop lights. You just don't have to race on all of em. Be careful, have fun and enjoy the cars.

Those of us who must race everyone need to report to the track. There are some people who just can't control themselves at all at the wheel of a car like this. I would submit that wayyyyy more people are killed as victims of drunk driving than street racing. Again, not condoning street racing, but there are ways people can use vehicles that are much worse than an occasional bout with someone 0-60.
Old 1/18/05, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@January 18, 2005, 8:53 PM
I can see it now on the Pontiac Sunfire website... 05 Mustang GT backed down from a challenge...
The Pontiac Sunfire has enough enthusiasts to have its own website?

Old 1/18/05, 08:53 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by tekman13+January 18, 2005, 10:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tekman13 @ January 18, 2005, 10:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.@January 18, 2005, 8:53 PM

[/b][/quote]
Hey be careful, they do make a Sunfire GT. Be sure to watch your back! LOL
Old 1/18/05, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by tekman13+January 18, 2005, 9:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tekman13 @ January 18, 2005, 9:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.@January 18, 2005, 8:53 PM

[/b][/quote]
LOL I was thinking the same thing....but wait I guess GM owners need to be enthusiasts about something, at least those that cant afford a Vette, everything else died remember. And the GTO doesnt count, you can't slap a muscle car badge on your grandmas sedan and call it muscle, I dont care how much power it has.

NOTE: THOSE THAT THINK I AM BEING SERIOUS ABOUT THE GTO BACK OFF THIS WAS MEANT TO BE FUNNY. I THOUGHT WE WERE ALL FORD GUYS/GALS HERE.
Old 1/19/05, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Once I challenged a black belt Karate Champion to a fight. :nono: Guess what? He wouldn't fight me. Thats because he knew he could kill me Same logic apllies to the Viper case. He would kill you.
Old 1/19/05, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Fordracing200+January 18, 2005, 8:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fordracing200 @ January 18, 2005, 8:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rrobello@January 18, 2005, 5:10 PM
porsches wont put u in your seat HARD enough for u not to pull out wil a Ferrari? Mustangs will [/b][/quote]
Are you asking if the Ferrari creates enough Gs to keep you glued to your seat? If so it depends on the Ferrari, the F430 and a couple of others I have driven I guess you can say that they do off the launch and perhaps even while driving and accelerating, but I have never actually tried to move in my seat while driving that fast, at least not conciously, but you can deffinately feel it throw you back into the seat nice and hard, but you still get a nice smooth ride.