Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Raced a Corvette C-5 Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/05, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by acadian@March 8, 2005, 2:27 PM
Louis, thanks for the support... as opposed to the bashing done by a certain member.

And wretched, I completely understand your (and others) disbelief. I guess scratch it off to driver error on the guy driving the Vette. But the guy was trying. And you can't tell me that if he half-raced me, he would have beaten me. A fairly modded '05 Mustang will get into the high 12's, and the Z06 Vettes with 405 HP do the quarter mile in 12.6 seconds. I don't see why it would be as far off as some say.

Edit: A member of this forum did the quarter mile in 13.2 seconds bone stock (including the HC trap) other than a beta Predator tune. And he spun the wheels a good bit too.
I think all of us will agree that against a well driven Z06 we don't stand a chance. The guy obviously wasn't trying and/or was a poor driver. You guys are comparing above average times for the 05 GT, but average/poor times on the Z06. A well driven Z06 will run low/mid 12s all day long and on ideal conditions high 11s, but the later is rare. The reason our cars hang so well is that they hook up. Look at the 60' times guys are getting in bone stock GT's, it's amazing.

Also, for the guy saying Vettes are heavy, that's false. If that was the case, our Mustangs are tanks, since the Z06 is nearly 300 lbs lighter.
Old 3/8/05, 10:56 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Get him Acadian wn3d:
Old 3/8/05, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't like to compare Mustangs and Corvettes. They are in two completely different price categories. The Mustang is priced as a working man's Muscle Car - around $25k. The Corvette is priced as a white collar or corporate man's Muscle Car - around $56k. You wouldn't compare a Lamborghini or a Ferrari to a Corvette, would you? Of course not. Different price catagories.

The working man will spend the time to build up what he already has while most Corvette owners will be happy with what comes out of the factory. They paid a premium for street superiority over 99% of the cars on the road, we didn't. We have to work on our cars to have that status.

Now, I'm not putting down Corvette owners or anything like that. It's just that most of their owners pay the premium for the extra power that Mustang owners usually work their car up to. No big deal. If most of us had the cash, I'm sure we'd pick up a Ford GT or a Shelby GR-1. :worship:
Old 3/8/05, 11:36 PM
V6 Member

:scratch: listen from a roll... its all torque and motor. you went from a roll right?? unless i completely misunderstood.

from a roll... believe me... the Z06 or any F body is a beast. and yes mustangs are better at locking up. i know this cuz i've compared both. i own 2 mustangs... so I would never ever talk crap about them...

i worked for Dodge(no flames) ... and yes your worst nightmares are true.... the sales guys rape the cars and you can't do nothing about it. so i would get with other buddies and arrange races... after all they weren't our cars!!

and i raced a Z06 in a Viper.... very close. I mean hair length away everytime. And i raced my Mach against that same Z06.... and he would cream me. And i shift very well so it's not my mistakes.... it's just that much faster. and i've raced an 05 with my mach and I nailed him everytime.

now yours is modded... awesome... but I haven't seen an 05 run modded... can't give an opinion there.

My saying always is.... 90% of the time you beat the driver not the car....

But if it it was an honest kill.... then that is awesome and :worship: I'm not worthy... I'm not worthy!!!
Old 3/9/05, 01:12 AM
V6 Member

Hey Acadian, what street was this on?
Old 3/9/05, 07:51 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by acadian@March 8, 2005, 9:27 PM
Dude, you aren't even worth arguing with. Especially since you don't even read my posts. I said I accidentally typed 60 instead of 50. Sorry, the 6 is next to the 5. I meant to say 50, and have corrected myself. You said that you would be surprised if I even gained 30 HP with my mods. That's your first mistake. I'd bet you my car right now that I have gained over 30 HP. Second mistake was you saying that the guy wasn't trying to race me and then continued to "blow my doors off" when you were not even there. Mistake #3... you saying that the Z06's did not have 405 HP until 2003 or 2004 when in fact the 2002 had 405 HP. If you are going to talk out your rear end just to start some trouble and stir things up, make sure you have your facts straight.

And a highly modded '05 n/a Mustang will be able to keep up with a Cobra. Trust me. I raced a 98 Cobra from light to light and completly crushed him. A buddy of mine has an '03 Cobra and him and I have raced a few times and I have kept up with him everytime.

Edit: And do us a favor and give the Mustang a little more credit. You must be used to talking down on your car over at the Camaro forums. And I don't blame you. Really. But we don't like that here. :nono:
I'm not the one trying to convince people that I can beat a Z06, if it was even a Z06 since you had no idea what a Z06 was before you started this post. All you have is a bunch of assumptions and speculations. Your thread is totally and completely without merit. You assume that you raced a Z06, you assume that he raced it as hard as he could, you assume he launched it like a race and didn't just roll which you, nor I, would know because neither of us were driving his car, you speculate that you gained 60 whp, wait, now it's 50whp conveniently, without ever dyno testing your car and showing a baseline and a new hp level.

I'll give credit where credit is due, and you haven't proven anything. You illegally street raced some guy on a random street with no actual set up and signalled start, and a completely unknown finish point. What does that prove?

As for mistakes, what mistakes? Ignorance is bliss my friend. My logic dictates that you would have a hard time gaining 25% at the crank from your mods....am I wrong? No, I'm speculating based on experience and common understanding, that doesn't make me wrong. I also did not unequivacably state the 405hp Z06 came out in '03 or '04, I said I wasn't sure, but that it originally came with a 385hp version was the point. So, was I wrong on that, no, I was not. So again, I haven't stated any actual mistakes.

You are the one that isn't worth arguing with...but that should be no surprise, you are taking this personally because it's your precious GT.

I am not even going to get into a discussion with you about my Camaro, you haven't earned that right. I've had several Mustangs, the fact that I currently own a Camaro has nothing to do with it. I've owned many different makes, and have no particular affiliation with any. What I own, have owned, or will own has nothing to do with this discussion.

I thought it very immature and single-minded of you to choose to berate my GM, when in fact my sig also shows I own a Bronco, which is a Ford, so why you even bothered to go down that road only shows that you are taking this way too personally.
Old 3/9/05, 08:20 AM
V6 Member

Josh is the man!!!! dang.... couldn't had put it better in a million years!!!
Old 3/9/05, 08:55 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Cajunsix@March 9, 2005, 2:15 AM
Hey Acadian, what street was this on?
This was on South Claiborne by the Sewerage & Water treatment plant... right by the big "S" where Cliaborne turns into Jefferson Highway. It was heading towards uptown New Orleans after the train tracks.

And Wretched... this was from a stop at a redlight. I know a Vette would crush a Mustang from a roll. I think I even said that earlier. But from a stop, I think we definitely have a chance.

And Josh... I didn't have to know a thing about Corvettes to know that it was a Z06. I remember exactly what the car looked like and when I got home I looked it up on the net. Didn't take a genius to figure out that it was a Z06 if it had the brake vents and the wheels and calipers that it had. As far as commenting on the rest of your post... I didn't take the time to read it.
Old 3/9/05, 08:57 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by The_Wretched@March 9, 2005, 9:23 AM
Josh is the man... and he drives a Camaro. He's my hero! :worship:
Old 3/9/05, 08:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by The_Wretched@March 9, 2005, 9:23 AM

Thanks for the support. I just had to prove my point, it's in my nature I guess.

However, I would like to state for the record that I don't want to outright offend people on this board, if I didn't plan on buying an new Mustang, I wouldn't be here, and my intent is not to bash the Mustang or convince people that a Corvette or whatever is better. My intent is just to point out the facts, and a Z06 is an absolute beast of a car. At this stage I can be impartial since I own neither of the cars in question.

The other day I did a roll-on race with a new M3 in my S4, it's not in my sig, but my daily driver is a 2001.5 Audi S4 with the 2.7L Twin Turbo and 6spd. It's all stock, 250hp. I stayed on that M3's bumper all the way to 70mph when we hit traffic from merging on the freeway. I know the M3 has 333hp, so why was I able to keep up? Who knows, that's my point. Maybe he wasn't giving it his all, maybe he got caught up with a slow shift or a missed gear change, or maybe he was just toying with me.

The bottom line is street racing is 1) a bad idea, and 2) not a controlled situation so the outcome can vary significantly, having really nothing to do with the cars output unless it's a huge difference, like 100-200+hp so the driver can be a complete yahoo and still haul ****.

Like Acadian, I've had many, many situations where I've kept up with cars that are known to be faster or more powerful....as was stated before, much of the time it's 90% driver. In this case, maybe Acadian is an awesome driver, and that's good.

Anyway, I don't want to sit and bash this out and have it turn personal, so with that being said, I'm going to bow out of further discussion.

Peace,
Josh
Old 3/9/05, 09:10 AM
GT Member

Hehehe... a Z06? He didn't hit the gas, or it would have been ugly. A Z has 365 at the wheels, stock, and weighs 3100 lbs. So 90 more horsepower and 300+ lbs less. Hehehe.... I love Mustangs, but c'mon.
Old 3/9/05, 09:28 AM
FR500 Member

You guys can speculate all you want and add HP, weight, etc... simple fact is this:

2004 (and this could have been a 2002 for all I know) Corvette Z06 does the quarter mile in 12.5 seconds. Some sites I researched said as high as 12.7 though.

2005 highly modded (but naturally aspirated) Mustang GT can do the quarter mile in the high twleves as has been documented. Now, my car is not quite as modded and it is an auto, but I am still pretty sure I can get very close to 13 seconds.

So, it is not that hard to believe that I could have taken on a Z06 given that the driver was not that good.

I am not sitting here saying that a '05 GT can take on a Z06 on the track, or anywhere else for that matter. I am simply telling MY story. The guy would have beaten me anyway had we kept going because he had started to catch up before I let up. I am just saying that a highly modded GT will be able to hang with a Z06 given that you are a better driver. Hang with... maybe not beat. But it will certainly be close. Why is that so hard to accept?
Old 3/9/05, 09:32 AM
FR500 Member

I should just splurge and get that supercharger I want... then shut all of you up.
Old 3/9/05, 10:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I'll chime in since Ian mentioned my name in his initial post here....Don't know Josh or have anything against him but as an outsider looking in it did seem he was being kinda harsh and wanting to pick a fight for some reason....not sure why that is... perhaps I misunderstood you bro...to me, it sounded like Ian was just trying to say he hung with this Corvette and felt good about it....nuff said...As for my experience, I've hung with or beaten EVERYTHING I've raced against except a blown Cobra when I first got my car and it had zero mods....Not saying it's the fastest thing around or that they all raced their best against me but I did keep up with or take them all except the cobra. The list includes Lightning's, Camaros, Trans Am's, Corvette's, Mustangs, and more.....Granted I do have a few more mods then most do at this point so I have a bit of an advantage....I'll concur that I can't see me hanging with a real Z06 up to 150mph with a driver who knows how to use it, but it's a rarity when I can even get one of those geezers to try something with me...LOL Once we all get blowers all of this talk will be gone...11's are in my near future and that's gonna be more then enough to make most light to light races pretty laughable...I should enjoy these close race days while I have them...Soon it will won't be close at all and I'll probably just sit back like the geezers...knowing it's not worth my time or gas to kill a lowly stock z06...HAHA

John
Old 3/9/05, 10:36 AM
FR500 Member

Thanks for the post, John... you are another believer. We aren't as far off as some think from beating a stock Z06. That was my point all along.
Old 3/9/05, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Haha yeah we have a shot with the C-5 but the new Z06 will make us look like neons against it!! 200+ mph top end speed (reported), 1/4 mile in 11.2 oh man.

Matt
Old 3/9/05, 12:06 PM
Cobra R Member

The LS6 engine is under rated, it's not uncommon to see a stock 2002 Z06 pull 360RWHP on the dyno. But, it's not all about horsepower. They also have much better traction with 285 wide meats in the rear. Weight, need I say more? Aerodynamics also play a part in all this. As said before, Z06s are in Viper territory. Sure, with enough mods you may be able to beat one, but then you get to look forward to the C6 Z06 which will be boasting 500HP and hitting the dealerships in just a few months.
Old 3/9/05, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

^ ^
| |
| |
| |
| |
:worship:

And for a rough est base price of about 85K it's hard to find a better stock automobile with that much performance that tips Ferrari territory !!

Matt
Old 3/9/05, 12:12 PM
V6 Member

The C5 Z06 is a monster... now the C6 Z06 is just gonna blow everything away. Forget the viper... after modifications.... it will OWN the streets!!! OWN them!!!
Old 3/9/05, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The_Wretched@March 9, 2005, 2:15 PM
The C5 Z06 is a monster... now the C6 Z06 is just gonna blow everything away. Forget the viper... after modifications.... it will OWN the streets!!! OWN them!!!
I couldn't agree any better. As Motor trend put it, "GM's new Viper slayer". Man if I could get my hands on one of them!!

Quick Reply: Raced a Corvette C-5 Yesterday