Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Raced a Corvette C-5 Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/05, 07:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by acadian@March 7, 2005, 8:47 PM
I'm sure you've heard those numbers, but that's coming from really good drivers at a track in perfect conditions... keep that in mind. 95% of all Corvette drivers I have ever seen are older guys who don't know how to drive. I'm not saying I could beat an '02+ Z06 with a good driver... but a 02+ Vette with an average driver, it would be real close. Bottom line is though that it is pretty evident that you can buy a $28,000 Mustang and put a couple grand into it and get very close to beating a 400+HP $45,000 Vette.
Even on street tires an average driver should be able to click off high 12s or low 13s. I am sure that we can run with C5 manuals when modded from a stop, but IMO we will lose from a roll. Our cars seem to get out of the hole hard, which is why we are seeing some real great times.
Old 3/7/05, 07:02 PM
FR500 Member

Oh, no doubt they are a fine machine, and although a Chevy... still American made muscle. And also no doubt that a Vette will spank you over a hundred. But how many street races get over a hundred?
Old 3/7/05, 07:04 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by acadian@March 7, 2005, 8:05 PM
Oh, no doubt they are a fine machine, and although a Chevy... still American made muscle. And also no doubt that a Vette will spank you over a hundred. But how many street races get over a hundred?
Very true....

I can't wait to get my CAI in there and do a tune on my car - gonna surprise my buddy again!
Old 3/7/05, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by acadian@March 7, 2005, 9:05 PM
And also no doubt that a Vette will spank you over a hundred. But how many street races get over a hundred?
To be honest, if I am racing a friend I usually try to do it on the open highway. Racing from a stop light is a lot more dangerous. On the highway you don't have intersections and pedestrians to worry about. I usually will race up to 110-120 and back down quickly. I almost never street race anymore, but wanna run my brothers M3 and my friend's 350Z.
Old 3/7/05, 07:51 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Its hard, :stubborn: But I have been resisting :nono: the guys coming up and trying to race, and man they have been showing up like flies , drivin up next to me gunning for the new Stang in those hondas, acuras etc with the coffee can sized exhaust........

eventually I'll probably break down and get on it - and then my wife will ground me for racing... wn3d:
Old 3/7/05, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AJC@March 7, 2005, 8:54 PM
eventually I'll probably break down and get on it - and then my wife will ground me for racing... wn3d:
Old 3/8/05, 10:53 AM
FR500 Member

My wife is just the opposite. She drove my Mustang to school last week (she takes it 2 days a week... :cry: ) and she raced a Mini Cooper S on the interstate and said her and the guy were up to over 130. I almost freaked. She said the Mini kept up pretty close... within 4-5 car lengths until she hit around 130 and he lost ground. I personally would much rather race light to light. Where I live, the streets are very wide open and you can see if there are any cops or people around, so it's actually very safe. Never any traffic either. And I think a lot more safe, and fun, then driving at 100+. I'm more into acceleration then topspeed though, I guess.
Old 3/8/05, 11:11 AM
V6 Member

I'd like to know how you got 60 wheel horsepower out of some pulleys, an intake, exhaust and tune? You're telling me you got an increase of 25% in power at the crank? You can't add up all the 'claimed' horsepower for each bolt on you have, unless those stripes are worth 40hp, I'd say you are lucky if you got 30hp at the crank out of all that. It's called diminishing returns. You might get 10hp out of the exhaust, and 10hp out of the intake individually, but may only get 12-14hp in total. See what I mean.

PS, the guy probably didn't launch it or try to race from the start, he probably got annoyed that you thought it was a race, so he blew your doors off from a meandering roll-on in 2nd gear.

Just keeping it real. Hahahahahaha. I'll print this out and eat if if you can show me a dyno slip.

Peace,
Josh

PS, the earlier Z06's had 375 or 385hp, they didn't get 405hp until around '03 or '04...I don't know for sure, I don't pay much attention to 'em cause their uckin fugly. I do recall that when they did they put 405hp on the badge on the side, the older ones didn't say their hp as far as I can remember.
Old 3/8/05, 11:41 AM
FR500 Member

I meant to say 50, not 60. And I say that because there are two other members of this forum that have similar mods to me and have gone from 260 to 305 HP at the wheels. I added an extra 5 because I have an off-road mid-pipe. I understand what diminishing returns are. JMS got 35 HP with an intake, pulleys and tune alone. Why would you be surprised if I got 30 from those three, as well as a Magnaflow exhaust, off-road mid-pipe and removal of my HC trap. I think 50 is pretty reasonable.

And as far as the guy in the Vette not trying to race, he was definitely trying to race. He launched off the line just as I did. I could hear his engine and exhaust... I know exactly what he was doing. I had him up to 50 before he started to pull away. And believe me when I say that he pulled away very slowly. You can't say he "blew my doors off". Hardly. And you weren't there, so what would you know?

And to add on to the numerous mistakes you made in your post, the 2002 Z06 had 405 HP, as well. The 2001 had 385.
Old 3/8/05, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

Congratulations on beating / keeping up with the Vette! I'm sure the Vette owner was as suprised as you were how well your car did.
Old 3/8/05, 12:03 PM
V6 Member

He might have a point you know.... I beat a Z06 in my Mach 1.... but thats because he stalled out... nevermind!!!

Yeah, even if he half-hineyed raced you.... he would still rip you a new one. My buddy has a Z06 and believe me... not even a 04 Cobra could stand a chance.... especially not from a ROLL!!!
Old 3/8/05, 12:24 PM
FR500 Member

Louis, thanks for the support... as opposed to the bashing done by a certain member.

And wretched, I completely understand your (and others) disbelief. I guess scratch it off to driver error on the guy driving the Vette. But the guy was trying. And you can't tell me that if he half-raced me, he would have beaten me. A fairly modded '05 Mustang will get into the high 12's, and the Z06 Vettes with 405 HP do the quarter mile in 12.6 seconds. I don't see why it would be as far off as some say.

Edit: A member of this forum did the quarter mile in 13.2 seconds bone stock (including the HC trap) other than a beta Predator tune. And he spun the wheels a good bit too.
Old 3/8/05, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Twenty years ago (I'm over 40), I had a 1984 20th anniversary edition 5-speed GT Mustang, and my friend had a 1983 L69 305 HO 5-speed TA. The magazine tests at the time always showed the F-body with this motor to be faster. However, everytime we raced, I jumped him by at least 2-3 cars, and once I had the lead, he might have gained a little, but never caught me. Many close races are won or lost in the 60ft time. If the Vette driver wasn't agressive on his launch, you could have easily gotten an advantage he couldn't overtake.

I honestly think that if the race had of continued, the Vette should have won, but it didn't and we'll never know. Maybe you'll see him again some time, and if he wasn't 100% serious the first time, you can bet he will be the next time.
Old 3/8/05, 01:33 PM
GTR Member

remember the vette is heavy, and not so hgreat off the line, not a low end torque motor
Old 3/8/05, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@March 8, 2005, 2:36 PM
remember the vette is heavy, and not so hgreat off the line, not a low end torque motor
How is a big v-8 not a low torque engine :scratch:
Old 3/8/05, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

This happens all of the time when I'm driving my M5. What happens is rice/5.0/f-body decides to give it a shot. They do big holeshot manuever. I just let it roll on out to about 6500 RPM in 1st and second. From my car it looks like they are being reeled in like a dead fish. As soon as I am on their fender they back off. This does not work with Z06 or Cobra R or Viper.

Oddly enough, the most aggressive drivers seem to be driving those new Caddys. They really run out of gas north of 125 to 130. The big Mercedes could probably blow my doors off but they require too much prep. Unless you change the shift program, turn off the traction control and six other things, they just don't let you go very fast. Chrysler 300C's are fun, a lot of buyers thought they would be invincible.

I think that the Mustang GT with a supercharger can play with anything on the street. Considering that it will be less than half the money, that makes it twice as fun!
Old 3/8/05, 03:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by stoic21+March 8, 2005, 3:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stoic21 @ March 8, 2005, 3:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200@March 8, 2005, 2:36 PM
How is a big v-8 not a low torque engine :scratch:
[/b][/quote]

Chevy typically has a wider bore and a shorter stroke, and that in combination with how the intake manifolds are designed makes them high end breathers.... not quite as much grunt off the line. I had a '98 with 3.73s and was dating a girl with an '02 Z28. I used to hand her her buttocks all the way through 3rd gear, then she'd come walkin' up and drive right on by. Mustangs have always been known for the hole shot... built for low end torque.... that may explain how Ian got as far as he did before the Z06 or whatever started to lay it down.... by then, he had given up and was shuttin' down.

I'll bet that guys in some Corvette forum talkin' about how he was linin' up with this '05 Mustang, and that he gave the guy a 3 second head start and just when he started to pull up on the Mustang to open a can of W.A., the guy shut it down.... thinkin' he'd just beat a Corvette.
Old 3/8/05, 03:15 PM
FR500 Member

A member of this forum who is a Ford dealer had an '05 GT and raced another dealer in a 300C and spanked him. Bone stock on both cars. This was a couple months back. The 300C is way to heavy to compete.
Old 3/8/05, 08:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by acadian@March 8, 2005, 12:44 PM
I meant to say 50, not 60. And I say that because there are two other members of this forum that have similar mods to me and have gone from 260 to 305 HP at the wheels. I added an extra 5 because I have an off-road mid-pipe. I understand what diminishing returns are. JMS got 35 HP with an intake, pulleys and tune alone. Why would you be surprised if I got 30 from those three, as well as a Magnaflow exhaust, off-road mid-pipe and removal of my HC trap. I think 50 is pretty reasonable.

And as far as the guy in the Vette not trying to race, he was definitely trying to race. He launched off the line just as I did. I could hear his engine and exhaust... I know exactly what he was doing. I had him up to 50 before he started to pull away. And believe me when I say that he pulled away very slowly. You can't say he "blew my doors off". Hardly. And you weren't there, so what would you know?

And to add on to the numerous mistakes you made in your post, the 2002 Z06 had 405 HP, as well. The 2001 had 385.
If you re-read my post, I was very clear that I wasn't sure what year the Z06 came with 385hp but the fact that it did was my sole point. In that respect I was trying to help you out, maybe you raced the slow one. Hahaha, so whoopdi doo, hardly one of my so-called 'numerous mistakes'. Show me one iota of a mistake in my above statements. I'm sure I can find 2-1 people that will agree with my logic over your 60 rwhp from bolt ons...I still don't think you fully appreciate what it takes to gain 25% in power from a motor with the same stroke, compression, heads, bore and cams you started with. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not common. We all can sit here and bench race that my so-and-so buddies cousin's uncle once had a fluggelhoser on his barracuda and it gave him 90hp. There is so much mis-information out there, it's comical. Everyone thinks they get this or that hp out of some mixmatch of bolt-ons, next thing you know we can all beat modded supercharged Cobra's with an n/a 4.6L.
Old 3/8/05, 08:24 PM
FR500 Member

Dude, you aren't even worth arguing with. Especially since you don't even read my posts. I said I accidentally typed 60 instead of 50. Sorry, the 6 is next to the 5. I meant to say 50, and have corrected myself. You said that you would be surprised if I even gained 30 HP with my mods. That's your first mistake. I'd bet you my car right now that I have gained over 30 HP. Second mistake was you saying that the guy wasn't trying to race me and then continued to "blow my doors off" when you were not even there. Mistake #3... you saying that the Z06's did not have 405 HP until 2003 or 2004 when in fact the 2002 had 405 HP. If you are going to talk out your rear end just to start some trouble and stir things up, make sure you have your facts straight.

And a highly modded '05 n/a Mustang will be able to keep up with a Cobra. Trust me. I raced a 98 Cobra from light to light and completly crushed him. A buddy of mine has an '03 Cobra and him and I have raced a few times and I have kept up with him everytime.

Edit: And do us a favor and give the Mustang a little more credit. You must be used to talking down on your car over at the Camaro forums. And I don't blame you. Really. But we don't like that here. :nono:

Quick Reply: Raced a Corvette C-5 Yesterday