Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Motor Trend picks the SRT8 over the GT500

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/08, 01:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
Ford would be shooting themselves in the foot making a unibody F150. People actually need to use them for work uses.

Ridgelines are not build to withstand truck duty, therefore shouldn't be called a truck.

A unibody would be even crappier then the frame offered in the Tundra.
Think hard about how many P/U owners actually use them in a capacity that the unibody wouldn't suffice. Same thing can be said about SUV's. If I told you that GM was going to make the Suburban unibody, would you say that it would be shooting itself in the foot too? Or how about 4WD/AWD vehicles? How many owners actually NEED the all-terrain capabilities that many vehicles have?
I think what you'll see is the truly heavy-duty, and truly off-road ready vehicles are going to shrink as a segment. They'll still be available but, people are going to start asking themselves, "do I REALLY need those capabilities?". I think as they start realizing that those capabilities come at a very real cost penalty not only at time of purchase but throughout the ownership period, they will start buying smarter. I'm not betting that you'll see F-250's or 350's in unibody for some time but F-150's (and the soon to return F-100) will probably shift to it very soon. Technology MUST replace displacement and strength through bulk.
Old 6/6/08, 05:21 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Katshot
Technology MUST replace displacement and strength through bulk.
WTF? Technology would be building somthing with equal strength with les weight, unibody is not as sturdy as full frames, the only reason cars went to unibody becaseu it made sense with cars not needing that strength. And regardless of the % that don't need full frame trucks, they are built for the people that do. nuff said.
Old 6/8/08, 07:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Knight
WTF? Technology would be building somthing with equal strength with les weight, unibody is not as sturdy as full frames, the only reason cars went to unibody becaseu it made sense with cars not needing that strength. And regardless of the % that don't need full frame trucks, they are built for the people that do. nuff said.
I think you're confused about the strengths and weaknesses of Body-on-frame design.
Old 6/8/08, 08:26 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by titanjc
The key idea here is that liking something OTHER than a Mustang does NOT make you less of a Mustang fan, or a traitor, or anything other than a car enthusiast who can appreciate more than one car, or one style of car. The ONLY thing that really annoys me about visiting this section of the forum is that there are a lot of people who think that anything that isn't made by Ford is complete crap. And it isn't just the Mustang forum. If you go to a Nissan forum, you're going to see the same thing happening, same with with Hondas or Toyotas or Chevys. I wish that everyone would just try to exhibit a little open-mindedness.
Laughably T, this is one of the more open minded boards out there.
Old 6/8/08, 09:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The key idea here is that liking something OTHER than a Mustang does NOT make you less of a Mustang fan, or a traitor, or anything other than a car enthusiast who can appreciate more than one car, or one style of car. The ONLY thing that really annoys me about visiting this section of the forum is that there are a lot of people who think that anything that isn't made by Ford is complete crap. And it isn't just the Mustang forum. If you go to a Nissan forum, you're going to see the same thing happening, same with with Hondas or Toyotas or Chevys. I wish that everyone would just try to exhibit a little open-mindedness.
I'm sorry, I didn't know I couldn't express an opinon. You've expressed yours and I've previously expressed mine. So hows that for open-minded. I have owned most makes of cars, some repeatedly, and several in recent years. So I think I can state my opinion with some basis of experience. If this passes you open-minded litmus test, than fine. If not, oh well, I'll just keep making it until you stop me.
Old 6/9/08, 05:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by burningman
Well said.
I have yet to see a thread on this board where a magazine or show didn't pick a mustang and people went "yeah I can see why they picked like they did."
A few people on this board can sit back and say that. I wont name names..but they are the crowd for the most part that frequents the General section with straglers from other sections. But for the most part if a mustang isn't picked the magazine/show writers/hosts are slammed even if the info is dead on and valid (this is true of other specialty boards as well. not just here). The arguments range from they are idiots to well the X car has a crappy interior and I had one that fell apart.

Who cares in the long run. I've been reading these Challenger threads here and with a few exceptions..No one is even close to level headed about it. I've heald back commenting on these threads but my rant would probably be similar to the chap that is leaving the board. Minus the leaving part.

YEs it's a public board and yes you are more than welcome to voice your opinions and bench race all you like but man try to have a little perspective. The mustang is not by any stretch the end all be all of cars.
There are loads of cars that will trounce a mustang in even catagory and loads that will lose to the car. I've owned three of them now and am a fan of them.. Rabid fan no. I am a rabid fan of cars in general as I expect others are like Rhumb or Evil Capri and the others.

Anyway I'll go put on my silver fire suit now and expect the worst of flaming to commence.

Flame on!
Forgive me for not posting the picture with the quote.

I think these guys have both pointed out a phenomenon that I too find distasteful. Unfortunately, it's very common among internet car forums etc. More often than not, members (especially the more prolific posters) tend to be less than "objective" when talking about their cars. Seems even more common among those who lean toward the performance car end of the automotive spectrum. Why that is, I'm not sure. I certainly have my theories but I'll keep them to myself. Just the mere fact that even bringing the subject up seems to **** people off should clue you into what would come if you were to actually try to dig into the subject in depth. Guess it's kind of like talking religion or politics. Better left out of the forum if you want to keep things civil.
Love my Mustang!
Old 6/9/08, 02:18 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I must say that I am a little mystified by some who think that a Mustang forum should be for the open minded discussion of the value of one car over another. Specifically that we should accept that any given car is "better" than a Mustang. I completely understand that on a Mopar forum or on a Chevy or even a Scion forum they express their heart felt belief that their cars are better even though some don't even have a production car to speak of yet, but oh well. But coming on a Mustang forum, and I respect all of you who are Mustang Owners, and claiming that those who post alot have mental issues because they are not open minded to how great another car is is crazy. I know you didn't say that, but anyone with the slightest education can gather that from your post. So don't talk down to me that I'm a knuckle dragger because you have no idea. And don't think you're talking over my head because you think I'm too childish to understand when I've been slighted.

Think of it like this. I'm sorry the world has opinions and opinionated people. Thats just the way it is. I think we all know that. And we don't say "f" the Challenger or the Camaro is s*** around here like other forums. We have a modicum of decency around here, but we also don't slam our members for being not "open-minded" enough about their love affair with their cars.

Compare it to going to a bar in Brooklyn and then begin telling everyone about how much better the Red Sox are. They don't want to here it. And although you may be right, I don't think you can expect them to listen too closely.

So excuse me if I don't agree with how close minded some of us Mustang owners (and other car lovers) are as you have said can be.

This post is not meant to be angry, devisive, or inflammatory. Take it as you will because I'm sure you've already got me "figured out" for reasons you won't want to post.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 6/9/08 at 02:22 PM.
Old 6/9/08, 04:51 PM

I try to take and foster a more open-minded view on cars. Sure, of course the Stang's a great car, but it ain't the only great car out there by any means and simply to put it on a pedestal, immune and impervious to the least criticism or comparisons than doesn't flatter it is just narrow minded. Far better in my mind to hold it to the highest levels of scrutiny, competition and comparison than to hide it in some intellectual temple lest the merest whiff of apostasy waft past its fenders.

The SRT-8 IS and excellent car, though hardly perfect (a bit too much to love?) and fully capable of besting the current GT500. More important is how Ford reacts to this by hopefully quickly coming out with an even better GT500 that can challenge and exceed the SRT-8 and Camaro fully on its merits.

Last edited by rhumb; 6/9/08 at 05:01 PM.
Old 6/10/08, 06:25 AM
GT Member

If you don't wish to actually promote an open, mature discussion about the pluses and minuses of a wide variety of cars, why is there a forum tagged "Which is better?". Would get kind of boring to have all the threads start off like; "Which is better, a Mustang GT or a SRT8 Charger?" Only to end quickly by everyone posting; "Why certainly, the Mustang, of course, there's no comparison".
What would be the point?
There's also the possibility that members who of course, probably love Mustangs, also love other cars, or might be looking into buying others cars, or are simply interested in expanding their automotive knowledge by participating in discussions about other cars.
Old 6/12/08, 03:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Guys, let's face it. Challenger just came out and it must win.

That's why Edmunds is taking only Bullitt vs Challenger and MotorTrend is embarrassing themselves this way.

I stopped taking Motor Trend seriously when they named Honda Ridgeline as truck of the year.
I gave up on them when they named the Renault Encore/Alliance the car of the year They would all later get a big sticker on the back window that proclaimed that, right above where the rust would begin in the window trim. Only lasted 3 years in the US. In a previous article, they LOVED the whine of the GT500 supercharger.