Old 5/14/08, 01:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual or Auto trans?

which is the way to go auto or manual transmisson? and reason why
Old 5/14/08, 01:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on if you want to drive or just ride.

Depends on if you want to drive or just ride.

Driving an automatic compared to driving a manual transmission seems as removed from the activity of driving as say phone sex is removed from the activity of real sex.

Yeah, you might still get there, you might even get there quick, but it just isn't the same.

Yes the old slush box has come a long way over the years, but it is still a slush box.

There is after all a reason most BMW's are manual transmissions.

Originally Posted by 429 Boss Mustang
which is the way to go auto or manual transmisson? and reason why

Last edited by Black GT500; 5/14/08 at 11:14 AM.
Old 5/14/08, 02:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

LMAO dude that is ****ing funny way of putting that lol but im leaning towards manual
Old 5/14/08, 11:41 AM

Generally:

Stick: lighter, cheaper, simpler, more efficient, more economical, more involving, more control. Basically the better performance option, though more work to drive.

Auto: heavier, more costly, more complex, less efficient, less economical, less involving, less control. Basically the better daily and traffic option, though less fun or fast to drive.

That said, I think the future is clearly the new DSG type trannies as currently found in various VWs and Audis. They seem to be truly the best of both worlds, offering the ease of driving of a traditional autobox when just cruising and in traffic, but all the control and better of a manual tranny, plus lightening-fast shifts, along with the power and efficiency benefits. I predict that these things will eventually supplant both current traditional autos and manuals over time.
Old 5/14/08, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

coool thanx bros
Old 5/14/08, 08:08 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Manual cause there is no way I'm ever getting a Mustang, Vette, or any other sports or muscle car with an auto. Also what really irritates me is paddle shifters, this may be the way of the future but I've tried it and am very annoyed by it.

I would agree with Black GT500 and rhumb on this. They are both correct and I really can't add anymore than I agree.
Old 5/14/08, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

cool im liking the advice i know how to drive a standard but havent drivin one in awhile
Old 5/14/08, 08:19 PM
Post *****

I was scared to death I would stall it puling out of the parking lotsince it had been about 10 years since I had driven a stick. I drove a standard for probably the first 8 years I had a vehicle and in the right vehicle I absolutely love it. I know the auto in these cars is good and quick but that shifter is just such a close connection with the car it shouldn't be replaced.

BTW I did fine that day, however 1 time early on I did the bone head thing of parking the car and forgetting to put in neutral while I let out the clutch before turning the car off. The car lunged forward about 2 feet and died but nobody saw and no damage done, that would have really sucked if that had happened inside my garage or something so now I am very **** about always making sure I'm in neutral before letting out the clutch with the car on.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 5/14/08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 5/14/08, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

OMG DSG FTW!!!

That being said... i have nothing of substance to add to this thread, its all been said.
Old 5/14/08, 11:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya thanx dudes ill guess ill be getting a standard :]
Old 5/14/08, 11:33 PM
Post *****

Woohoo! Light 'em up and s***.

I mean you've made an excellent decision.
Old 5/14/08, 11:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

yea man rlly tnx the mustang with an auto is nice and all but it seem like its missing sumthing you kno
so yea standard and ill light em up
Old 5/14/08, 11:40 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

On coupes I prefer manual.

On sedans and trucks I prefer automatic.
Old 5/14/08, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

yea im saving up for new mustang and im planing ahead of time so im getting a standerd :]

on pickups all mine r auto
Old 5/15/08, 05:35 AM

Automatic is better for those with back pain like me
Automatic is also better for those who have to contend with stop and go traffic where shifting all the time is murder on the legs, back and knees
Automatic is better for safely enjoying a (non-alcoholic) beverage while you drive

Manual is more powerful, sporty and fuel efficient as others have noted
Old 5/15/08, 09:24 AM

I've tried the paddle shifter DSG in an Audi A3 and thought it worked fantastically, instant, crisp, seamless shifts the instant you command it -- hard to imagine how shifting could be accomplished any better. Shifts happen faster than any human could do it, with perfect rev matching and your hands on the wheel at all times for no degradation of driving control while downshifting around that sharp switchback curve. But then when commuting to the daily rock pile, put it in full auto mode and cruise to work with the ease, comfort and smoothness -- but better economy -- as Grandpa's old Buick.

And rather than being slower than a stick shift, as is typically the case with a regular autobox, they tend to be even faster, which is what a performance gearbox ought to be about.

In distinction, there are a lot of regular, slushbox (torque converter) automatics that do have paddle shifters for a degree of manual control. Some of these do work pretty well, to be sure, other not so much, but the underlying gearbox basically has all the plusses and minuses of any other slushbox.

Basically, I think in the future, rather than devoting hundreds of millions each to develop two trannies for a given drivetrain, it will prove much wiser and economical to focus resources and attention to developing one fantastic DSG style gearbox that is better than either.
Old 5/15/08, 11:14 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
DSG's are definately the way of the future, but for me, I want a manual, in a sporty car. There's just nothing quite like running through the gears, and I dont like the way automatic transmissions, every one I've ever driven, either hang up and/or have hard shifts. The automatic thats in my Grand Cherokee, I can feel it robbing me of power between 1st and 2nd.
Old 5/15/08, 12:12 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

manual w/ clutch pedal, no dsg or smg or whatever they call it for my mustang. for SUVs and 4doors auto is ok. for people who want to cruise auto or dsg or whatever is ok. i like using clutch pedal and using the shifter; i don't like the computer or whatever doing my clutch work
Old 5/15/08, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by StangMahn
DSG's are definately the way of the future, but for me, I want a manual, in a sporty car. There's just nothing quite like running through the gears, and I dont like the way automatic transmissions, every one I've ever driven, either hang up and/or have hard shifts. The automatic thats in my Grand Cherokee, I can feel it robbing me of power between 1st and 2nd.
I might suggest trying a DSG equipped car, I think you might be pleasantly surprised not only at how well they work, but how good they feel as compared to a standard automatic. DSG's, despite having and "automatic" function, operate quite differently than torque converter automatics and are thus much more efficient in power deliver -- at least equal to a stick shift -- and feel, where they are both very smooth yet extremely quick.

While I certainly won't argue against the skill and joy of melding the clutch, throttle and shift lever or a good manual tranny, I do think the DSG-type trannies are simply better trannies and will be the wave of the future.
Old 5/15/08, 02:15 PM
Post *****

The car I tried was an Acura sedan and I don't remember the model, I'm sure they are better in the Audi. I guess its the same with all transmissions and shifters some manufacturers make some crappy ones and some make some great ones. Evidently the Acura/Honda was crap.

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto trans?