Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

I beat a BMW 300 series :)

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/06, 06:05 PM
Cam Tease

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, going 180+ mph is cool, and I'm sure the races are as exciting as hell from the cockpits, or even from the stands. But when televised, the sensation of speed is totally lost in the fact that the cars really are just going in circles. I would trade 80 straight line (or steady 5 degrees to the left) mph for some tire squeeling decreasing radii turns or 100mph chicanes.

Though, as a slave to sales statistics, I must concede: NASCAR is hugely successful. (Why? I have no idea.)
Old 6/17/06, 10:48 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
Though, as a slave to sales statistics, I must concede: NASCAR is hugely successful. (Why? I have no idea.)
Because it is A LOT harder than it looks and when the racers make it look so easy that it is boring to people like you; the rest of us that can spot incredible skill when we see it and know what we are looking at (more than just going around in circles), appreciate it and have fun watching it.

That and its hard to beat cold beer and loud, fast, powerful American cars!!!!

Oh and I am sure whatever it is NASCAR does to promote itself doesnt hurt either...LOL!
Old 6/18/06, 01:52 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrobello
I agree, I think drifting is stupid, and very funny how after only 2 years of America doing this profesionally we now dominate, just goes to show how crappy japanese cars are all around....LOL!

(I said CRAPPY, oh no, please dont go off saying that some japanese cars are not crappy, I know some are not, I am making a joke)
Ummmmmm...

Because it is A LOT harder than it looks and when the racers make it look so easy that it is boring to people like you; the rest of us that can spot incredible skill when we see it and know what we are looking at (more than just going around in circles), appreciate it and have fun watching it.

That and its hard to beat cold beer and loud, fast, powerful American cars!!!!

Oh and I am sure whatever it is NASCAR does to promote itself doesnt hurt either...LOL!
...you're off the trifluoperazine again, aren't you?

Old 6/18/06, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Ummmmmm...

...you're off the trifluoperazine again, aren't you?

uhmmm ok.....what now?
Old 6/18/06, 09:01 AM
Cam Tease

Because it is A LOT harder than it looks

I always hear this, and it always makes me wonder "who cares?"

It is a SPECTATOR sport, how it LOOKS is what matters. I'm not decrying NASCAR for some skill deficiency on the driver's side, I'm saying NASCAR sucks because its boring as hell to watch. People like it for three reasons: 1) an excuse to drink. 2) the snob appeal of being able to tell non-fans that they just dont grasp the subtleties of the sport, and 3) inherited loyalty to their family's favorite driver.

I hear Chinese tapestry weaving is alot harder than it looks too, but I don't see an entire sports association dedicated to it.
Old 6/18/06, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow you guys really like to argue, I will say one definitive thing, F1 > NASCAR... NASCAR just doesnt do it for me

Bottom line, I have driven 330's, m3's and the new 530's, all these cars are lower powered, v6 engines, and minus the m3, not as fast a mustang gt.

My 06 gets ripped everytime by a stock SMG 2005 M3. I live in San Diego and I usually see young wealthy kids driving the 330's, and they love to race of course. A couple of them have fairly modified cars, similar to what the original poster had done, and let me tell you, these cars are not slow. They handle and top out at much higher speeds than you would expect.

Old 6/18/06, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

most mustang gt's can match all 3 series,5 series,6 series,7 series,x3 sav,and x5 sav bmw's in top speed and beat all in 0-60.Most mustang gt's can also beat the Z4 3.0i in 0-60 and top speed,match the z4 m coupe in 0-60,match the m3 coupe in 0-60 and beat the m3 vert in 0-60.
Old 6/19/06, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
I always hear this, and it always makes me wonder "who cares?"

It is a SPECTATOR sport, how it LOOKS is what matters. I'm not decrying NASCAR for some skill deficiency on the driver's side, I'm saying NASCAR sucks because its boring as hell to watch. People like it for three reasons: 1) an excuse to drink. 2) the snob appeal of being able to tell non-fans that they just dont grasp the subtleties of the sport, and 3) inherited loyalty to their family's favorite driver.

I hear Chinese tapestry weaving is alot harder than it looks too, but I don't see an entire sports association dedicated to it.
Well for me I like to watch it because I do appreciate the skill involved and that it is executed so well that it looks easy. I have fun noticing and appreciating when someone has mastered whatever craft it is they do. I do think it is fun to watch a master at work no matter what it is they are doing, it is fascinating to me. The fact that they are doing it at very high speeds just makes it more thrilling. It's the anticipation to see if they are gonna master their cars on that day and who is going to do so, who is not, when they are gonna to and how they are going to do it; who is gonna be the mastercraftsman that day. Its just like watching someone master any other racing sport, there are plenty of people that would call any kind of racing boring, after all its just people driving cars right?

As for Chinese tapestry weaving, it's not a sport. As far as I know they dont compete in anyway to see who is the best or fastest weaver. Are people just as interested in it as you are with WRC? Sure. Are there people who follow it, are fans and are up to date with who is the best? You bet. Would I watch a tv special on how it is done, or how whomever may be the best in the world is and how it is this person creates his or her pasterpiece? I sure would. But thats me.
Old 6/20/06, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

The bottomline is to each his own. People can argue until they are blue in their face which motor sport competition is the best, why they consider one lesser than another or vice versa but at the end it comes down to personal liking.
I must admit I myself am not into NASCAR, because I am not into racing in an oval track. But from here to say that it's easy or not racing in a fine form, it's a huuuuge leap.
Old 6/20/06, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Legion681
The bottomline is to each his own. People can argue until they are blue in their face which motor sport competition is the best, why they consider one lesser than another or vice versa but at the end it comes down to personal liking.
I must admit I myself am not into NASCAR, because I am not into racing in an oval track. But from here to say that it's easy or not racing in a fine form, it's a huuuuge leap.
I agree and I was in no way saying one was better than the other, I like racing in general and for their own reasons.
Old 6/20/06, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Be sure to write up your review of Tokyo Drift.
well I downloaded it and watched it yesterday and while it was nowhere as bad as I thought it would be, I still am glad I didnt pay to see it. It has a pretty decent story line and some good skilled driving. It was entertaining and I think the only thing that kept it from being very aweful was that the whole drift thing and the cars seem to take a back seat to the story; which was a good thing because they didnt get into any technical anything about cars or drifting which they wouldve no doubt messed up thoroughly as they did in the first two and made the movie a bomb. Although if you cant download it, then I recommend waiting to rent it or even better wait for it to be on tv, not worth the $10-12 admission.
Old 6/23/06, 09:41 AM
Cobra R Member

well I downloaded it and watched it yesterday and while it was nowhere as bad as I thought it would be, I still am glad I didnt pay to see it. It has a pretty decent story line and some good skilled driving. It was entertaining and I think the only thing that kept it from being very aweful was that the whole drift thing and the cars seem to take a back seat to the story; which was a good thing because they didnt get into any technical anything about cars or drifting which they wouldve no doubt messed up thoroughly as they did in the first two and made the movie a bomb. Although if you cant download it, then I recommend waiting to rent it or even better wait for it to be on tv, not worth the $10-12 admission.
What did you think about the idea of putting a Nissan motor in that classic Stang? Pretty disgusting, huh? However, I did read that the actual cars had V8s, and the Nissan motor was mainly for the storyline, but still, just the thought of it!
Old 6/23/06, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

What did you think about the idea of putting a Nissan motor in that classic Stang? Pretty disgusting, huh? However, I did read that the actual cars had V8s, and the Nissan motor was mainly for the storyline, but still, just the thought of it!
Very disgusting, actually !
Old 6/24/06, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Guess what I saw today.... A turbo'ed camaro ss!!! I could see the turbo under the rear of the car,I could hear the turbo's loud popping noise,and he had a-pillar boost guages.
Old 6/24/06, 10:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangfan123
Guess what I saw today.... A turbo'ed camaro ss!!! I could see the turbo under the rear of the car,I could hear the turbo's loud popping noise,and he had a-pillar boost guages.
There's a guy up here who came to our last Mustang club Dyno-Day with a late 70's Trans-Am. 400 cu/in. Twin Turbo. Dyno-ed @ 800HP.
Old 6/25/06, 09:57 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah,i bet the camaro I saw yesterday had 500+ hp from that turbo.
Old 6/25/06, 11:06 PM

well everyone in the world knows that it is the worse thing ever to do to a stang, with the exception of the morons who made the movie, I havent talked to a single person (domestic or import lover) that doesnt think its just a horrific thing, but they did do it. It just wasnt for story line. Ive seen pics of the car and know someone who has their car in the movie, the stang really does have a skyline motor in it and last I saw it was sitting in a junk yard as is from the movie, motor and all.

As for the idea, while yes it is a sacraligous to put that motor in the car, it did make sense in the movie as far as story went, they had a fastback that didnt have a motor, no working car, and its much easier to come by a japanese motor in japan than an american one AND they had a totaled S14 with an RB26DETT swap; so as far as story went they had the motor and they had the shell so it made sense

oh and they wanted a 72 skyline for the movie but the guy turned them down, maye this was suppose to be used instead of the stang.
Old 6/25/06, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by mustangfan123
there is a silver one here in town, I saw it once on my way to work and the guy was just messing with me down the main road, it was fun and funny and impressive....lol!
Old 6/29/06, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

F1>Nascar anytime...but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the skill involved in Nascar. I hate it when people comment on the races, saying that "its all going around in circles."

I want to see someone who says that actually TRY to do one full-speed lap around the track. There's so much driver input and skill involved, as well as car mechanics, its just amazing to think about it all...

That said, nascar road races (with turns and where the drivers actually shift, use brakes, and take right turns) are much more difficult. But you can never, EVER compare any other kind of racing to F1, which is my all-time favorite. I visit london once in a while since I have family there, and I took a "F1 Race Day" course which was amazing. Expensive...but amazing.

Its like sex....when you're in the F1 car, paddle shifters, going up to 150mph in a matter of a few flicks of the wrist. Wow.

Okay....and Tokyo Drift is teh gay. Rrobello is right...not worth $10. I'd rather spend $10 and get a GT keychain from ebay.