Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Bullitt vs Accord

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/08, 01:31 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RCSignals
That's low if you aren't driving like you stole it. It's low if you are. Your average should be better than that.
I should point out that that is almost all stop-and-go city driving.

Originally Posted by RCSignals
No. The comparison is already moot, except to MT.
The motivations behind the comparison certainly may be suspect, but the results are hardly moot.

Ford needs to widen the performance gap between the next generation Mustang GT and run-of-the-mill Japanese family sedans once and for all.

THEN it will be a moot comparison, because there will BE no comparison.
Old 3/2/08, 03:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
Look at the 1/4 mile times. I have seen V6 ponies getting that With CAI and tunes, no backseats or spare tire getting those number
I'd like to see where you saw V6s running 13s with a CAI and tunes, even gutted. It wasn't until recently that the first 4.0 broke 13s N/A. That took a LOT more than just the simple CAI and tune.
Old 3/5/08, 03:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Well I'm not worried about any of this. An Accord looks nothing like a Bullitt and sounds nothing like it. The Bullitt blows away the hemi powered Charger, and the Accord might better it to. So what do the Dodge Boys think of an Accord beating a Hemi!!!???
Old 3/5/08, 04:04 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Well the Good News is The Bullitt Owners Car will Likely Worth More Than was Paid for it Ten Years down the Road! I doubt we will see too Many Honda accords at Barrett Jackson!

Just a Thought!

kc
Old 3/5/08, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Well the Good News is The Bullitt Owners Car will Likely Worth More Than was Paid for it Ten Years down the Road! I doubt we will see too Many Honda accords at Barrett Jackson!

Just a Thought!

kc
Don't bank on it. Highly unlikely that the Bullitt will be worth more than what one paid for it 25 years from now. Too many Mustangs out there being put in garages with high survival rates. In fact, the Honda will hold a better near term trade value than the Mustang. Sad, but true. But one thing's for sure: you'll have a lot more fun driving the Bullitt now!!
Old 3/5/08, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm...have you checked on prices for used GT's lately? Even 2 year old cars with a ton of miles are pulling very good $$.
Old 3/5/08, 06:26 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by goesfast
Don't bank on it. Highly unlikely that the Bullitt will be worth more than what one paid for it 25 years from now...
I don't foresee the era of the gas guzzler V8s to last more than a handful of years. If it becomes a reality it will be a determining factor for values. I see the future Mustangs in a similar scenario as in the late 70s when 2.3 4-cylinder turbos where introduced.
Old 3/5/08, 09:51 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Those test numbers for the Bullitt seem off; they got better braking and quarter mile times when they tested a plain Mustang GT thats cheaper than the Accord.
13.5 sec @ 103.6 mph
125 ft 60-0

People automatically think that because its's a Honda and a V6 that it gets so much better gas mileage, but the truth is it gets about gas mileage the same as a Mustang with a V8. It's the same thing with the turbo 4's that are putting out ~300hp. You have to burn the same amount fuel to make same amount of power it seems.

So with the Accord, you get slower accelerating FWD car, with a smaller engine that gets the about same MPG as a V8 Mustang ? If you get just a Mustang GT, it's cheaper or about the same as price as the Accord. So what's the advantage of the Accord ?
let's see... if you want 2 more doors, don't need to go as quickly, want more rear seat room, a bigger trunk, lower insurance rates, and don't mind the fact it's a Honda - this car would do nicely. FWIW, I still wouldn't want one.
Old 3/5/08, 09:59 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
So now every teenager driving his mama's Accord will want to race a Mustang. Is there any car I don't have to endure at stop lights thinking they can hang with me. I'm not racing, get over it. No tickets, knock on wood, and none wanted.
Old 3/7/08, 05:49 AM
GT Member

a couple of things that might have been mentioned and some that have not:....the accord has a major advantage for performance in the fwd layout, handling, acceleration and fuel economy...having the engine, transmission, and drive wheels all in the same direction is more effecient.

the engine in the accord is 4 valves rather than 3 and this will help with greater output especially in the higher rpms.

the accord has 6 speeds rather than 5 and this definitely helps with the smaller motor in the accord.

on the highway the mileage difference might not be that much between the two, but in around town driving, having 1.1 less liter of displacement and two less cylinders will make a big difference in the numbers for the accord.

give me the bullitt.

jackg
06 sts6
Old 3/7/08, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

is it really that close? didnt someone run a 13.20 in a stock Bullitt?
Old 3/7/08, 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by justgreat
a couple of things that might have been mentioned and some that have not:....the accord has a major advantage for performance in the fwd layout, handling, acceleration and fuel economy...having the engine, transmission, and drive wheels all in the same direction is more effecient.
Uhh, yeah, that's why all the high end supercars like Ferraris, Lambos, & the Veyron are all front wheel drive.... err no, wait....

FWD can be more efficient from a passenger space standpoint and ease of assembly on the production line standpoint, but in handling and acceleration, no.

Weight distribution on most FWD cars is usually about 60% front 40% rear. Torque steer can be an issue on FWD. The front tires only have so much traction, and in FWDers, a portion of that traction is used for putting power to the ground, part of it for steering, and part of it for sticking to the ground.

A RWD car's front tires only need to steer and stick to the ground, while the rear tires put the power to the ground and hold the road. A RWD car will have more traction for steering and roadholding than a FWD car will.

Of course FWDers can be engineered to try to over come the inherent disadvantages, but considering everything else equal, a RWD car does have a handling and performance advantage over a FWD car.

the engine in the accord is 4 valves rather than 3 and this will help with greater output especially in the higher rpms.
It may have 4 valves but that does not change the fact it just does not put out as much horsepower and torque as the 3V 4.6.

Last edited by Vermillion06; 3/7/08 at 10:08 AM.
Old 3/7/08, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well, in the real world my Mustang GT is averaging about 14 MPG, and I'm not driving it like I stole, either. I know for a FACT that the Accord V6 gets better mileage than that. A lot better.

That's low. I get about 18 in the city and about 26 on the highway. You must be driving extremely short trips in the city or you're stuck in traffic most of the time.
Old 3/7/08, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by gmantheman
Regarding the 1/4 mile times 13.7 by the buillitt and reg. GT 13.5 can be affected by numours things. I do own a GT, but I know the the bullitt is faster with all things being equal. One mag ran a 13.2 in the 08 bullitt
Probably a crappy test driver. The Bullitt 13.7 1/4 mile time seems way off.

Last edited by Vermillion06; 3/7/08 at 11:36 AM.
Old 3/7/08, 10:27 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
That's low. I get about 18 in the city and about 26 on the highway. You must be driving extremely short trips in the city or you're stuck in traffic most of the time.
What's really funny is that several Stangs with Vorech superchargers get 28ish!
Old 3/7/08, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fireball1
From Motor Trend recent test data:

2008 Bullitt ... 2008 Accord 6-MT

0-60: 5.0 sec ... 5.7 sec
1/4 mile: 13.7 sec @ 102.7 mph ... 14.0 sec @ 102.5 mph
60-0: 127 feet ... 127 feet
Lateral acceleration: 0.87 g ... 0.88 g
MT Figure Eight: 26.4 sec @ 0.52 g ... 26.7 sec @ 0.67 g
Price: $34,235 ... $28,945

I find it astonishing that a 2008 Accord coupe V6 6-speed can almost keep up with a special edition Mustang Bullitt rated @ 315 horsepower. Notice the trap speed of the Accord is almost identical to the Bullitt. Front wheel drive cars are getting faster!
So it really wasn't Motor Trend that made the direct comparison, it was Fireball.

Question is why?
Old 3/7/08, 06:02 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Stir the pot?

Old 3/7/08, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah he sure made me feel bad and wish I had bought a Honda
Old 3/7/08, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not necessarily true at face value. Depends on how much the valve moves. A lot of people believe the 3 valve design in the engine in the 2005+ Mustang GT works better than the 4 valve design on the Cobra engine that preceeded it.

give me the bullitt.
+1
Old 3/7/08, 09:32 PM
V6 Member

I'm a salesman for Saint Louis Honda (please, no comments about car salesman) and I love my Mustang. But, day to day, I see the failures of car companies to establish reliability with their brands. Sometimes it seems like you have to choose between the "sports type" car and the "practical, more reliable car". But that doesn't mean that you couldn't have your cake and eat it too.
I'd love to have one of the new Coupe V6 6 speed Accords for my daily driver, and a 2008 Bullitt that I could cruise around with whenever the weather is nice. I'd say that the similarities in numbers just prove that it'd be easy to go back and forth between the two and not have a very noticable change in drivability.
Let's face it, out of all the people buying Bullitts, how many do you think are going to go nuts and make their new collectable into a race machine? Granted, there are a few people out there rich enough to do what they want, with what they want, but not everyone. In short, maybe it's time that all car manufacturers try to capture the same Fun-to-drive essence that is the Mustang, and combine it with the practicality, reliability, and efficiency of the Honda lines, specifically the Accords. Would it kill Ford to put a 6 speed manual into the Mustang as an option? You know the gas mileage would be better!

Oh, and if any of you were persuaded by my post, let me know if you need a car in the St. Louis Area!

Quick Reply: Bullitt vs Accord