Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Bullitt vs Accord

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/08, 12:31 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireball1
... I find it astonishing that a 2008 Accord coupe V6 6-speed can almost keep up with a special edition Mustang Bullitt rated @ 315 horsepower. Notice the trap speed of the Accord is almost identical to the Bullitt. Front wheel drive cars are getting faster!

Am I correct to assume MT is providing the test data and you are the doing head to head Bullitt vs. Accord comparo?

I can see a Chief Editior title in the very near future.

Old 2/29/08, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like they've given the highest price for the Mustang Bullitt, and lowest for the Accord.
Old 2/29/08, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
People automatically think that because its's a Honda and a V6 that it gets so much better gas mileage, but the truth is it gets about gas mileage the same as a Mustang with a V8. It's the same thing with the turbo 4's that are putting out ~300hp. You have to burn the same amount fuel to make same amount of power it seems.

So with the Accord, you get slower accelerating FWD car, with a smaller engine that gets the about same MPG as a V8 Mustang ? If you get just a Mustang GT, it's cheaper or about the same as price as the Accord. So what's the advantage of the Accord ?
I got to drive a brand new Ford Fusion V6 with 500 miles on it for the past week while my GT was in the shop for a transmission rebuild. The Fusion only got 1-2 mpg better than my GT. Kinda ridiculous.
Old 2/29/08, 12:59 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that a Bullitt would run faster then a 13.7 1/4 mile...
Old 2/29/08, 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
I got to drive a brand new Ford Fusion V6 with 500 miles on it for the past week while my GT was in the shop for a transmission rebuild. The Fusion only got 1-2 mpg better than my GT. Kinda ridiculous.
I drove the Mercury version for about the same time, also a V6, and got 34 mpg.
Old 2/29/08, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I like how the highest price is listed and a complete numbskull with a manual tranny could do a 13.7 in a bullitt... not accurate at all. I'm impressed with the Accord, but I don't think it's that much of a deal compared to the Bullitt.
Old 2/29/08, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
I drove the Mercury version for about the same time, also a V6, and got 34 mpg.
I err... Well now. I have no idea what the discrepency is, other than possibly my foot? I certainly wasn't accelerating from a stop like I was in my GT, but I also wasn't driving it at speed much differently from my GT. In a nutshell I was driving it pretty normal. I also had absolutely no highway driving in the Fusion.

One thing I noticed was I completely ignored the lying on board computer. When I took the car out the computer said I could get over 340 miles on a tank. When I returned it the computer said roughly the same thing. But what I got was substantially different.

I started with a full tank of gas, drove it for a week and filled it up with 16.301 gallons of 87 octane (at $3.199/g). Total # miles driven was around 280. I usually write the exact miles driven between tanks on my receipts but didn't for this one since it was a loaner and wasn't concerned with the data.
Old 2/29/08, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT

Am I correct to assume MT is providing the test data and you are the doing head to head Bullitt vs. Accord comparo?
Yes.
Old 2/29/08, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
Typical Motor Trend.
Will they Compare the Challenger with a Maxima?
LOL! HAH! Good 1!!
Old 2/29/08, 05:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
very surprised msn states 17 to 25 for the 268hp 3.5 6er. My Tl got 23mpg all day long in the city and 29 mpg on the highway cruising 80mph. it was a 3.2 268hp.
I would be willing to bet the honda beats that 17 to 25 very easy.

The thing is the honda is just transportation and the mustang is a way of life a hobby and theres a feeling ya get driving a v8 stang that a honda will never give you. Never!!
Old 2/29/08, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
The thing is the honda is just transportation and the mustang is a way of life a hobby and theres a feeling ya get driving a v8 stang that a honda will never give you. Never!!

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winnah!
Old 3/1/08, 10:53 AM
Cobra R Member

The new Honda V6 has a 2 cylinder shut off at highway speeds like the new GMs and Mopars so at highway speeds its like a 4banger so i'm sure that it helps mileage while Ford still don't have this tech yet
Old 3/1/08, 12:43 PM

uhm, im surprised nobody mentioned that it is impossible for the accord to put that power down on anything other than a straight track. no limited slip...typical honda gayness.
Old 3/1/08, 02:35 PM
V6 Member

Stealing a line of sorts from a fellow Bullitthead...

When a lady gets into a Mustang she feels like a sluht, when she gets into a Honda she feels like a grandma
Old 3/1/08, 03:13 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
With the exception of the advantage of mileage being for the Accord there is no comparisson. For the rest of the head to head, well...
Old 3/1/08, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

very surprised msn states 17 to 25 for the 268hp 3.5 6er. My Tl got 23mpg all day long in the city and 29 mpg on the highway cruising 80mph. it was a 3.2 268hp.
I would be willing to bet the honda beats that 17 to 25 very easy.
I wouldn't assume that

now you've gone and upset all the 'type R' ricer racers.
Old 3/1/08, 10:53 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
So with the Accord, you get slower accelerating FWD car, with a smaller engine that gets the about same MPG as a V8 Mustang ? If you get just a Mustang GT, it's cheaper or about the same as price as the Accord. So what's the advantage of the Accord ?
Well, in the real world my Mustang GT is averaging about 14 MPG, and I'm not driving it like I stole, either. I know for a FACT that the Accord V6 gets better mileage than that. A lot better.

But all of this drives home the point that Ford needs to up the power and performance of the next generation Mustang GT so as to render all such future comparisons moot.
Old 3/1/08, 11:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I agree that the Honda Accord should be no match for a Mustang GT but the truth is that the Accord along with many other imports are bridging the gap on the Mustang much more than they should.

Instead of the Accord comparison look at its specs vs the V6 Fusion! Toyota and Honda both offer V6s with 260-270HP that get better mileage than a 220HP Fusion! It seems like Ford's quality had gotten much better over the last few years but they are still lacking big time in performance. Ford needs to rush their 3.5 V6 into cars like the base Mustang, Fusion and even consider a turbo 4 for the Focus. I recently was in the market for a new car and have always been a loyal Ford consumer but this time around their was not a car that interested me. Besides the Mustang their is not much to get excited about in the Ford showroom. If Ford execs read this please pump some money into your engine department and give SVT free reign to make an SVT version of every model in the lineup! We Mustang buyers often have a second car and we like it to have some excitment.
Old 3/2/08, 12:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well, in the real world my Mustang GT is averaging about 14 MPG, and I'm not driving it like I stole, either.
That's low if you aren't driving like you stole it. It's low if you are. Your average should be better than that.

But all of this drives home the point that Ford needs to up the power and performance of the next generation Mustang GT so as to render all such future comparisons moot.
No. The comparison is already moot, except to MT.
Old 3/2/08, 12:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, in the real world my Mustang GT is averaging about 14 MPG, and I'm not driving it like I stole, either. I know for a FACT that the Accord V6 gets better mileage than that. A lot better.

Only 14 MPG. I am getting 19-20 city/hwy-mostly hwy. Regarding the 1/4 mile times 13.7 by the buillitt and reg. GT 13.5 can be affected by numours things. I do own a GT, but I know the the bullitt is faster with all things being equal. One mag ran a 13.2 in the 08 bullitt

Quick Reply: Bullitt vs Accord