Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

2005 Mustang GT or BMW 330Ci?

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/05, 03:58 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aright i admit im gonna have a bias....but my job involves driving different cars. ive taken a few late model beamers out for a spin and i test drove the stand (and testing again in like an hour and a half) and im telling u MUSTANG ALL THE WAY. i know mustangs r common but the streets r littered with BMW's. the 745's r like civics. i see them more per day than i do mustangs. with the mustang u get fully loaded for the price of a used beamer and with that BRANDY NEW STANG u get looks, a heck of an engine, a growl, and people look at u haha. ur take tho its ur car. but go for the stang!!
Old 2/25/05, 04:15 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@February 25, 2005, 1:32 PM
How would I be unhappy with the stang? In one area only, as it sure wins in every other department. Handling. The BMW sticks to the road like its on rails. Also, I think I have become a little spoiled because I have been driving my dad's 2004 BMW M3 around waiting for my mustang..... thats what has given me second thoughts. And I posted this on the BMW forums too. I am just trying to see what most people think.
If your other choice was an M3 then I would lean towards the BMW as well but we aren't talking about an M3 so my vote is the Mustang. Have you test driven the 05? I think you'd be pleasantly suprised with the feel of the stock suspension plus like someone else already mentioned, you have the option to change/modify it if you want. I mean.. a Mustang just has that unexplainable.. something...that you just don't get with other cars. Ultimately the choice is up to you but they are totally different cars.
Old 2/25/05, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Handling != fun (usually)

It does make a better ride, but its hard so say "wow this car almost made me crap my pants because it sticks to the road so well".
wait..... too bad I can't take you for a ride in the M3. Believe me. You would poo your pants. Go 75Mph, and stomp on the brakes. You will stop so fast, its scary. And don't get me started on the corners.......

But sadly I can't consider a $60,000 M3....... but its little sister, the 330Ci.

And yes, I have driven both the 330 and the 05 GT, although not a stick in either one (and I really want to get a stick). Most of my family has BMWs, and BMWs are all I have been driving from day 1. But the mustang is just so dog gone appealing in everyway. I was set on the mustang and happy that I ordered it, until the other day when I began having second thoughts, I don't know why.... but mostly because of the handling. I think the problem is, I have been driving the M3 everyday since I test drove the 330 and the mustang, and I associate the M3 with the 330 and well...... the M3 totally rocks. If it was an M3 and a mustang, it would be M3 all the way, because it is much faster, and sticks like glue, but if you shut off the traction control, it will do a burnout and hang with any V8. But then again, I remind myself, that I can't have an M3, its the 330Ci I am considering, and my mind goes back and forth all day.
AHHHHHHHHH
Old 2/25/05, 04:45 PM
V6 Member

Do you really think you are going to get a non biased answer on this forum. LOL. I have a torch red, loaded. You could offer me a used loaded BMW 5 series and I would tell you to keep on driving. Well, I might take it, to sell it and buy 2 Mustangs.
BMW's are ok, but not good enough for me. How many people will be envious of your BMW 330 ci. Not nearly as many as would want your torch red Mustang. If that many people want your Mustang, it must be better.

Good luck deciding, hope you don't regret getting the BMW. Specially when a torch red GT blows by you on the highway one day.
Old 2/25/05, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

My daily driver is a 00 BMW M5 and I have a 99 M3 Convertible in the garage. I will be selling the 99 when my GT arrives.

There is simply no comparison between the cars. I mean that in the sense that you are trying to compare two entirely different things. Its not just apples and oranges, its apples and billiard *****.

I think the choice, is really simple: Listen to the sound the Mustang makes when you run through the gears. That is the sound of a V8. Punch the Mustang in a corner and you will feel the rear end step sideways, just like a go kart. Its pretty easy to get to the thrill level with the GT. The BMW just will not produce the same drama at any kind of reasonable speed. The Mustang is a lot of fun without having to double the speed limit.

The M5 is kind of clinical. Most people have no idea how fast you are going. I have had it up to 140 with the wife and kids in the car and they never even looked up from their game boys, and books. And the BMW will stop so fast that you will see your ears touch in front of your face, but it isn't as much fun at 80 as the mustand is at 55.

The Mustang GT is the ideal combination of old school muscle car and modern fuel injected efficiency. It has the right sound and feel to keep you entertained but it is sophisticated enough to not be painful.

I'd vote for the GT. I can't help but smile when I drive one. It's just more FUN!
Old 2/25/05, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

A year ago I was sure I would be replacing my 95 GT with a BMW 330Ci. I'd been thinking about it for a couple years, and back in 2002, I figured come Spring of 2005, I should be able to get a 2001 330Ci for about $25,000 or so.

Well, last Summer a local BMW dealer had a 2001 330Ci that looked like new, although it had 47K miles on it. I stopped in to see if I could drive it, and off we went. I had it for maybe 20 minutes, and it was a great car. The steering was really quick, and this car just stuck to road going around corners. It was such a weird feeling that the rear end stuck like it did, even around bumpy corners, when you're used to the live-axle Mustang swinging out on bumpy corners.

But, the acceleration was just okay - it wasn't really a "spectacle" like the Mustang's acceleration. Even my 95 GT (215 hp) felt like it planted you in the seat more than the B. The 330's engine was nice though, and revved to the redline in a hurry. It was probably a bit quicker than it felt, if you know what I mean.

Overall, I liked the 330Ci, but this particular car was a certified pre-owned BMW, and the price tag reflected that - they wanted $30,000 for the car. I really couldn't see that.

A few months later, I test drove an '05 Mustang GT. What I couldn't believe was how quick the steering was compared to my 95. It felt almost exactly like the BMW! I knew I was getting the Mustang after the somewhat disappointing ride in the BMW, and this test drive was just confirmation.

If you can't make up your mind between the two, you really need to drive them both and see which one floats your boat. They both have pros and cons - and both would be fun cars to drive. I question the poster who thinks the BMW wouldn't be fun to drive - the BMW was a LOT of fun when I drove it, and I sure wouldn't mind having one at all - I'd just rather have the Mustang, like most everyone else in this forum.
Old 2/25/05, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

xr7g428, you really hit it on the head with your description of the BMWs and the mustang..... about it not getting fun until you are way over the speed limit in the BMW, and the all to frequent "being on the freeway, doing way over 100 thinking you are only doing 70" situation. Infact, when I first drove the mustang, the steering reminded me of my grandpa's 2004 BMW 645Ci with the active steering. :yes:

As of tonite I am leaning towards the mustang again, and I think I will stick with it. My worst nightmare is getting the BMW and then seeing somebody drive by in a 2005 GT and hear the sound of the engine, and wish I had gotten one, then slapping myself for passing up the chance to get a 05 MUSTANG..... I mean, at 65 I can look back and say "man I loved that mustang". I figure as soon as I finish my degree in computer science, I will have time and money for BMWs. Now is the time when I will enjoy a real muscle car. :drive:
Old 2/26/05, 11:27 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my dad has a three series. its a nice car i suppose. i personally dont like it. theres waaaay too many of them. no one notices a BMW on the road. EVERYONE notices an 05 stang on the raod. just some food for thought. but pick whatever you want best
Old 2/26/05, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the Stang.BMW with 3liter engine may be good for Your wife or girlfriend not for You.If you are retired ,You will buy yourself a luxury coupe.There are also other reasons :Mustang is a 40years-old legend and '3-series' means actually nothing etc.
BTW if You had a Stang in Europe You would turn hundreds of heads.Here nobody looks at BMWs.
As far as the handling is concerned many magazines compared the ride of the new Stang to BMW.So it means that it isn't so bad at all.
Old 2/28/05, 05:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@February 25, 2005, 6:46 PM
Handling != fun (usually)

It does make a better ride, but its hard so say "wow this car almost made me crap my pants because it sticks to the road so well".
wait..... too bad I can't take you for a ride in the M3. Believe me. You would poo your pants. Go 75Mph, and stomp on the brakes. You will stop so fast, its scary. And don't get me started on the corners.......

But sadly I can't consider a $60,000 M3....... but its little sister, the 330Ci.

And yes, I have driven both the 330 and the 05 GT, although not a stick in either one (and I really want to get a stick). Most of my family has BMWs, and BMWs are all I have been driving from day 1. But the mustang is just so dog gone appealing in everyway. I was set on the mustang and happy that I ordered it, until the other day when I began having second thoughts, I don't know why.... but mostly because of the handling. I think the problem is, I have been driving the M3 everyday since I test drove the 330 and the mustang, and I associate the M3 with the 330 and well...... the M3 totally rocks. If it was an M3 and a mustang, it would be M3 all the way, because it is much faster, and sticks like glue, but if you shut off the traction control, it will do a burnout and hang with any V8. But then again, I remind myself, that I can't have an M3, its the 330Ci I am considering, and my mind goes back and forth all day.
AHHHHHHHHH
Nah, braking doesnt matter. can it slam you into your seat?
Old 3/12/05, 09:34 AM

the bmw is the worst car on the road with snow under the wheels.. i promise i have seen it MANY times..