Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

2005 Mustang GT or BMW 330Ci?

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/05, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I already have a Torch Red with IUP, red leather, and all the goodies on order since the end of january..... AND I JUST GOT SERIALIZED TODAY! WOOOO

But I am having second thoughts. I can get a slightly used BMW 330Ci fully loaded for the exact same price. What do you guys think? I know the BMW isnt as fast as the mustang, and I cant do all the audio and exhaust mods I had planned for my stang, but it drives reall nice and handles really well. What do most of you think I should go for? and have any of you actually driven a late model 3 series BMW with the sport package?

I have spent the last few days asking every girl which car they thought was hotter..... the mustang won, but by only a small margin. I need some opinions!
Old 2/25/05, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

This is a choice only you can make. You are on a Mustang forum so this will win out.

I will say I love BMW's as well, just not 3 series any more. I am more of an M series guy; waiting for the E9x’s to come out. The three series is way beyond common, not that the Mustang won't be soon enough.
Old 2/25/05, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

well from a girl, and owner of a new Torch red Mustang...i say go with the Mustang of course!! I don't really know anything about that BMW...but you have to think you are on a mustang forum...so i wouldn't expect to many people to say choose the BMW over the Mustang...Just my $.02...but choose what you want, if you think you will be unhappy with the Mustang(HOW?!) then get the BMW...
Old 2/25/05, 02:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well my friend traded a 2002 BMW 325i with the sport package for a GT and didn't give it a second thought. Go with the Mustang you'll be happy you did.
Old 2/25/05, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

How would I be unhappy with the stang? In one area only, as it sure wins in every other department. Handling. The BMW sticks to the road like its on rails. Also, I think I have become a little spoiled because I have been driving my dad's 2004 BMW M3 around waiting for my mustang..... thats what has given me second thoughts. And I posted this on the BMW forums too. I am just trying to see what most people think.
Old 2/25/05, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh and I forgot to mention in my first post. I am talking about a torch red mustang GT. not the V6.
Old 2/25/05, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@February 25, 2005, 3:33 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention in my first post. I am talking about a torch red mustang GT. not the V6.
It says it on your profile...i was referring to the fact that you have the same color that i have ordered...like i said before get what will make you happy, if you are having second thoughts then you shouldn't spend the money until you are sure you will LOVE :<3: what you are getting
Old 2/25/05, 02:42 PM
Banned

Answer this: Do you want a car thats fun to drive, or just a car to drive?
Old 2/25/05, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I was sure I loved the mustang. But like I said I am having second thoughts. I don't know. The fact is nothing can beat the stang at looks or power, or upgradeability. PERIOD.

I am just looking for opinions and I will continue to think about it. Although, I must say, getting serialized is EXCITING!
Old 2/25/05, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I want a car thats fun to drive....... but that could go either way. The mustang is faster, looks better, but the bimmer handles way better!
Old 2/25/05, 02:47 PM
GT Member

I just traded in a 2002 325Ci on my '05 Mustang GT.

I have to say that the BMW was perfect, not back to the dealer for anything in the 3 years I had it. They definitely know how to build a car.

I do almost all the work on my cars (used to be a mechanic) and I was a little concerned about maintenance down the road, it can get mighty expensive.

I must admit I was a little hesitant to trade in a car that I had no problems with but I don't regret it.

I love the '05 GT and it fits my personality much better than the BMW.

I think you can be quite happy with the 330Ci but consider how long you plan on keeping it and how many miles you will be racking up, again, they are expensive to maintain.
Old 2/25/05, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Sounds like you are comparing apples and oranges. One is a muscle car, the other is a sport luxury car. I think it really comes down to what is important to you. Another consideration is warranty, which is a big reason I didn't buy a used vette. I imagine to get a 330 for 25-30, you would need to get a 2002 or earlier, and that is a lot of money to spend on a 3 yr old car with little or no warranty, particularly with maintenance costs on BMWs. Having said that, a BMW is a heck of a car, and it would be hard to argue with you either way. As I said, I went through this same process with the vette, and I decided on the mustang, basically b/c it scared me spending that much on a car that could break down and break me. Good luck on your decision.
Old 2/25/05, 02:53 PM
GT Member

If it's a toss up,,,,,,you can always use the "Buy American" angle
Old 2/25/05, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

The 'buy american angle' is worthless, I will buy the best car, regardless of where its made. The BMW I am looking at is a 2002 330Ci and it would have 30k some miles on it....... but it is fully warrented until 100k or 6 years from my purchase date. I mean a BMW warrenty. that means I only pay for gas and tires. They pay brakes, clutch, oil change, EVERYTHING. And I would get rid of it before 100k.

So yes, it is more $$$ up front than the stang, but I worked it all out, and with BMW financing and everything, it would cost EXACTLY THE SAME.
Old 2/25/05, 03:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you are worried about the way the mustang handles there are plenty of aftermarket kits for that. LMO
Old 2/25/05, 03:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have owned 2 mustangs and a 528i. All were nice cars (well the '79 Cobra was not the greatest quality wise, but, it was really cool), but, I look back and grin when I think about the mustangs. The BMW was just really nice car.
Old 2/25/05, 03:09 PM
GT Member

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

A certified BMW does eliminate the maintenance cost, so you're equal with either the 330Ci or GT.

They are both very nice cars, but totally different, you'll have to decide which fills your needs/wants best.

I'd say it comes down then to simply your choice, good luck whichever way you go.
Old 2/25/05, 03:12 PM
Cobra Member

well, I only say this because it's true, but most girls don't know much about cars except the price tag and how if feels on their ****.... So if I asked that question to a bunch of girls, I'd consider the ones that said BMW to be pretintious.... that's a generalization, but anyways...
BMWs are very well crafted cars, they hold value and they look slick, and drive really nice. You'll spend your retirement fixing one if you have problems. I knew a guy that bought a BMW becuase that was the image he wanted to have to all of his friends and girls and what not.... he bought the biggest POS lemon. It looked really nice, it was a newer year, but it was absolute junk. He had more problems with that than I've ever seen with any car, and he spent thousands and thousands to repair stupid problems.... it had some seriouse ghosts in the machine... a lot of the issues were ust elussive as heck. So, from a repair standpoint (because everything mechanical WILL have problems) the BMW is going to be costly.
perhaps just a practical perspective.
Old 2/25/05, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have test driven a late model BMW 330ci and own an '05 Mustang GT. The BMW is a great car. It has nice acceleration, handles great, and has many luxury amenities. But you would be purchasing a three year old car, and don't forget that the 3 series has a complete redesign on the way within the next year. IMO, the current design is looking a bit old and outdated.

Both are great cars, but for me the Mustang GT would win out. IMO there is no substitution for the '05 Mustang's V8, great looks, and exceptional platform and driving dynamics, at an affordable price. But it will be your car, so try to test drive an '05 Mustang GT, along with the Bimmer, and make the decision for yourself. Best of luck.
Old 2/25/05, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by emperorjordan@February 25, 2005, 5:49 PM
I want a car thats fun to drive....... but that could go either way. The mustang is faster, looks better, but the bimmer handles way better!
Handling != fun (usually)

It does make a better ride, but its hard so say "wow this car almost made me crap my pants because it sticks to the road so well".

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT or BMW 330Ci?