From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

?s on Ordering a car

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/05, 03:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I need some basic timeline info on ordering a car, rather than buying one off the lot. I'm planning on ordering a Mustang GT in January (in the process of buying a house now).

I read the stickied posts, both excellent w/ good advice.

Here are my questions:

So pricing is negotiated at the time of the order? Not when the car actually arrives, correct?

And I would imagine that trade-ins are calculated when the ordered car arrives, not at time of ordering?

How hard is it to get pricing "in writing" from a dealer? I would hate to wait 2-6 months for a car and then have a dealer try and screw me when the car shows up.

Finally, when negotiating pricing, would trying to shoot for $1K over invoice OUT THE DOOR be unreasonable? We're not talking about a car that's sitting on the lot that the dealer can just sell to any moron that walks up...

Thanks!
Old 9/10/05, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 06GT@September 10, 2005, 3:04 PM
I need some basic timeline info on ordering a car, rather than buying one off the lot. I'm planning on ordering a Mustang GT in January (in the process of buying a house now).

I read the stickied posts, both excellent w/ good advice.

Here are my questions:

So pricing is negotiated at the time of the order? Not when the car actually arrives, correct?

And I would imagine that trade-ins are calculated when the ordered car arrives, not at time of ordering?

How hard is it to get pricing "in writing" from a dealer? I would hate to wait 2-6 months for a car and then have a dealer try and screw me when the car shows up.

Finally, when negotiating pricing, would trying to shoot for $1K over invoice OUT THE DOOR be unreasonable? We're not talking about a car that's sitting on the lot that the dealer can just sell to any moron that walks up...

Thanks!
The price should be in writing at time of order SIGNED by a manager at the dealership, period. The trade would normally be valued at time of order but re-valued at time of delivery. If I were doing it, I would agree on the outright price 1st and get the car ordered. After that I would have them give you an appraisal of what your car is worth in actual cash. You now would have an idea of it's worth in real dollars. This would also give you the opportunity to find a buyer prior to your car coming in. Remember though in most states you get a tax credit for the trade so take that into account if you sell it yourself.
As far a $1000 over invoice out the door, when you factor in tax, title, and license fees in most states that would be a figure somewhat under invloci which I do not think most dealers would accept especially for a GT.
If you want any further info you can email me at ISellFord@aol.com.
Old 9/14/05, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am paying $1000 over invoice for my GT. I guess it would depend on the dealer and the demand in your area. I don't think $1000 over is an unreasonable offer. In MO, taxes and license fees are not handled by the dealer, so they are not a factor here.
Old 9/15/05, 06:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JonW@September 14, 2005, 9:13 PM
I am paying $1000 over invoice for my GT. I guess it would depend on the dealer and the demand in your area. I don't think $1000 over is an unreasonable offer. In MO, taxes and license fees are not handled by the dealer, so they are not a factor here.
Hey Jon, $1,000 isn't unreasonable, but if you read the original post, he wants to get the car for $1,000 over the invoice price OUT THE DOOR. When you back out the tag fees, and divide it by the % of sales tax, you will wind up under invoice. In your state, since you pay tax and licencing elsewhere, this would be a bit different. I sell cars in Pa, and when someone wants a vehicle out the door, it means tax and tags included into the deal.
Old 9/16/05, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to buy a car in PA! I also live in Missouri and since Dealers don't handle taxes/tags we have to pay out of pocket and not be able to finance those amounts, so you better have a couple grand at least on the side for those two or no plates for you, period.