From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

How does this work

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering buying a new 06 Mustang and was wondering how the process of buying a car thru one dealer off another dealers' lot works. Who gets the commission? I live in Prattville, Alabama and a dealer in Georgia has the exact stang on his lot that I want.
Thank you,
John
Old 2/24/06, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pvillepiper @ February 23, 2006, 6:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am considering buying a new 06 Mustang and was wondering how the process of buying a car thru one dealer off another dealers' lot works. Who gets the commission? I live in Prattville, Alabama and a dealer in Georgia has the exact stang on his lot that I want.
Thank you,
John
[/b][/quote]

Depends on which dealer you buy it from. If you buy it from your local dealer and he gets the car on a dealer trade, then your dealer gets the profit. The dealer in GA gets the holdback. Both dealers make money on the transaction.
If the dealer in GA is not that far, you might be able to buy it for less from him but you might run into service issues with your local dealer.
Old 2/25/06, 12:55 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Depends on which dealer you buy it from. If you buy it from your local dealer and he gets the car on a dealer trade, then your dealer gets the profit. The dealer in GA gets the holdback. Both dealers make money on the transaction.[/b][/quote]

That is what I thought would happen. I certainly don’t begrudge either of them a profit. After all, if they don’t make money, they won’t be there next time I want a car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>If the dealer in GA is not that far, you might be able to buy it for less from him but you might run into service issues with your local dealer.[/b][/quote]

They are not that far, maybe an hour and a half away. It would be easy to get there and pick up the car. So should I contact then by email and say something like "I am considering purchasing a new Mustang GT and I see you have a couple that are equipped with the options I want. I could go to my local dealer and acquire it thru a dealer trade but I would like get a quote from you first." And because they will "loose" the money over the hold back they might come back with a lower price to make some over hold back and still sell the car?
As far as the service issues, I rarely have used the dealer before due to the fact that I lived out in the boonies and none were that close or convenient. But now I am less than a mile away from the dealer I bought my 90 Ford Ranger from (new) and they a decent dealer with a good reputation. On top of that I have become friendly with one of the salesman and most of them know who I am because I have a habit of stopping by and test driving new models. I like the fact that they give me the keys and tell me to have fun... no salesman along for the ride.
I bought my 97 Mustang (new as well) from a dealer in Mobile (about 2 hours south) thru AutoBytle. I got the exact mustang I wanted for several hundred dollars less that any local guy would offer. The local dealers are mostly small dealers with no real selection. The exception is the dealer over in Montgomery which is about 20 minutes away. But they seem to change owners quite often.
Thank you for your time and insight.
John
Old 2/25/06, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pvillepiper @ February 25, 2006, 2:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

They are not that far, maybe an hour and a half away. It would be easy to get there and pick up the car. So should I contact then by email and say something like "I am considering purchasing a new Mustang GT and I see you have a couple that are equipped with the options I want. I could go to my local dealer and acquire it thru a dealer trade but I would like get a quote from you first." And because they will "loose" the money over the hold back they might come back with a lower price to make some over hold back and still sell the car?

[/b][/quote]

My suggestion would be to email the dealer with the car, tell them the equipment you are looking for and ask for a quote. Then go to the dealer you want to deal with, tell them the equipment you want and that you know the car exists and ask for a quote based on locating the car.

The dealer with the car will know they must be competative because they will assume you have emailed for a quote to a number of dealers. The dealer you want to deal with will know they must be competative because you know where you can go to get your car.
Remember it is up to the dealer with the car if they give it up on trade or not. If you tell them you can go to your local dealer to get the car, they may decide not to give it up thereby forcing you to come to them.

It sounds like you have some kind of relationship with the local dealer. You should at least give them an opportunity to earn your business.
Old 3/1/06, 07:34 PM
V6 Member

Thanks Steve,
Good suggestions there. And yes, I would prefer to give my local dealer a shot at my business as I prefer to do business with someone face to face.
John
Old 3/1/06, 09:30 PM
GT Member

Prior to buying my Mustang, I ordered a 99 Chrysler new - the dealer found exactly what I wanted on another dealer's lot. They paid a $300 DNC (I THINK that was the acronym) charge and brought the car to me. Surely I paid that $300 somewhere in the transaction, but of course I was happy to get exactly what I wanted and not have to wait for it. So in the end, I was happy + dealt with my loal dealer, and surely along the way everyone made money off of my desire to get what I ordered. I think it is called capitalism...in any case, just go to your local dealer, order what ya want, and see what happens - if they order it from the factory and tell you it will be 8 weeks or so, then gently point out you found the car at another dealer. My Ford experience has so far been that I was three steps ahead of the salesaman and the dealership the entire time, thanks to this forum and blueovalforums. In any case, it's about time to be riding the pony, isn't it?