Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Seats for track days in daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/16, 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Seats for track days in daily driver

I think this topic is worth its own thread -- what are everyone's thoughts and recommendations on seats for a car that is used for track days, and also daily driving?

Are the Boss Recaro's a good choice? Right now there is a guy semi-local to me who has a pair of them on Craig's List; they look in good shape except the air bag has deployed on the driver side, so the seam is torn and the air bag needs to be replaced. From a quick look around, it will cost about $250 for the air bag and $250 for the seat repair (assuming only the thread was ripped) plus the guy wants $1,000 for the seats, so that's about $1,500 total. I like this because I could leave them in the car, the air bags would work, it would be just like factory seats. But that is a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

The other choice is to get one real racing seat, and swap it out for track days. If you have done this, how difficult is it, and what's a reasonable cost estimate for the driver's seat, set up to do this?

Other suggestions?

thanks in advance

Last edited by Bert; 5/28/16 at 05:44 AM.
Old 5/28/16, 09:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
With harnesses, my OEM Recaros are great. A real racing seat is better, but really overkill in most cases

I think you could do better on the deal though... But I too like the airbags

I'll try to dig up some pics of my buddy who has Recaro racing seats in his GT350... They are beautiful but pricey
Old 5/28/16, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Replying from the other thread. Yes, I just unhook the wiring harnesses under the seat and on my 2014 it's two nuts on the back and two bolts on the front of the bracket. The airbag light will be on but for a track day I don't worry about it. To make it easier to remove the factory seat remove the head rest then fold the seat forward and lift it out. Do you have power seats? If so, they are kind of heavy so switching to a racing seat can definitely save some weight.

The Corbeau Forza is about the cheapest actual racing seat you can get at $239 (free shipping from American Muscle and probably a forum discount code out there). If you order the Forza Sport it's FIA rated if you care about that (more expensive, not on AM). Then just order the double locking bracket directly from Corbeau (AM didn't carry them when I got mine). I think I paid about $140 for the bracket with double locking sliders but it looks like they may have gone up. So you're all in for about $400. Plus if your not going to have any passengers on track day you can pull the passenger seat for more weight savings if you wanted to. You can even get a manual lumbar pump if want.

Check out the video from CJ Pony Parts on installing a Corbeau harness bar and racing seats. Very helpful for the install. I bought a Corbeau harness bar used from a guy I know but may switch out to the Watson 4 point bolt in roll bar eventually.

Having said all of that, if I would have known I'd be tracking the car I would have got it with Recaro's. If you can for sure get them with airbag replaced for $1500 I'd strongly consider it. If you do, look up a user named '06mach1' at trackmustangsonline forum. He makes a bracket that works with the factory seats to mount the sub belts (6 point) to.
The following users liked this post:
Bert (5/29/16)
Old 5/28/16, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang5o
If you order the Forza Sport it's FIA rated if you care about that (more expensive, not on AM).
Why would one need or not need this rating?
Old 5/28/16, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I love my Recaro OEM seat. This + harness is snug and locked in for track days. And if you can remove the harness perfect for DD. Those factory recaros are comfortable on longer drives too.
Old 5/29/16, 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the replies and input! Hmmmmm . . . .
Old 5/30/16, 11:30 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Bert, here's more info for you. I have a 2011 GT Premium. So I have the leather, heated, power seats. Heavy, with no real support for road-racing. I bought a used manual seat frame from a junkyard, with the OEM seat-belt receptor, and wire harness connector underneath. Then I cleaned up the frame, spray painted it black, and greased the rails. I bought a new NRG fixed-back, light-weight racing seat. I had the seat welded to the frame. So, the night before a track-day, I unbolt the OEM seat, un-snap the two wire harnesses underneath, remove that seat, and install the racing seat. Takes about 20 minutes total time. Use towels to protect the vehicle during removal and install, those steel seat frames can scratch. When I get home after the track-day, I simply do the reverse. The OEM seat-belt receptor in the racing seat ensures my stock three-point belt will work properly, and eliminate the dash light and chime. I would prefer Recaros, for sure, but they were not available when I bought my car. Here's my thread on TMS from a few years ago:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-my-gt-519126/

Last edited by PJRManagement; 5/30/16 at 09:15 PM.
Old 5/30/16, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Pete. I have the same seats as you. That sounds like a great setup. I am leaning toward the Recaros if I can make a good deal on them. If not I'll probably do something like you and 5o suggested.