Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Water spots on black

Old 5/28/14, 04:32 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Water spots on black

Will just a polish or a light waxing work in this scenario.....

Just got my '14 black GT 'vert last week. There's no way around pollen, so I've been using Mequiar's Quick Detail spray and microfiber towels. The stuff works wonders and I wipe the car down every day.

But the other day I took it out on some back roads and picked up dust and dirt along with more pollen. I didn't want to chance just a wipe on/wipe off with the spray, so I washed it yesterday, once section at a time to avoid too much water build up.

I still got a lot of water spots, most of which were removed by the Meguiar's Quick Detail after the washing.

But there are just enough spots left to make me crazy.

Going through my stash of car products from previous, much less cool rides, I found various wax and liquid polishes from Turtle Wax and Meguiar's.

I was thinking that a light coat of rubbing something, usingmicrofiber cloths, would eliminate the water spots.

The car is too new to need a major compounding/waxing.

Opinions?

Tom
Old 5/28/14, 05:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have these all the time from hard well water. There is no getting around it unless you install a water filter ( A decent one), or wash your car with deionized water ( if you have that kind of money. Lol.

I wash my car and have two large beach towel size micro fibre towels ready to hurry up and dry the car. The first towel is used to get the bulk water off the car then I go around with the second one to remove any streaks of water then finish up with the detailing spray. It turns out nice for one day but then the pollen is back on it and I repeat the process.
Old 5/28/14, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Water spots from washing will remove with just about any wax. If you try rubbing them out, you risk injecting swirls or light marring in the paint. The best option is to wash the car in the shade with minimal wind. Keep the entire car wet at all times.

I use a California water blade to remove the majority of the water, a leaf blower to get the water out of the mirrors, door handles, window channels, lights and anywhere that water pools up and then finish with a waffle towel from Griot's Garage. Any light water spots can be removed with your drying towel as long it's still lightly wet. A final finish with detail spray or spray wax will top it all off.
Old 5/29/14, 01:49 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
On Tuesday when I washed/detailed my car, it started out as very warm but overcast day. I began with the interior, and then the exterior, but a few minutes into the wash the the sun suddenly broke through and I wasn't in shade. It was too late at that point...the car was already wet and I had to complete the job, hence the spots due to the sun.

I spent yesterday morning experimenting with various wax/polish products that would help remove the spots. Nothing seemed to work. The spots seemed pretty imbedded. You could only see them on very close inspection, but I knew they were there and there were a lot of them, and they were making me nuts.

For glass I have a spray bottle of a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water (don't laugh....I know what you're thinking!!!) so I tried that on the hood vents first....seemed to work, and I did the rest of the car. I followed it up with a light coating of Meguiar's spray way. The car looks outrageous now. I love Mequiars quick detailing spray products.

Thankfully I have a 'vert, so I just had to do the hood, top of the front cover, and the short deck lid.

Tom
Old 5/29/14, 02:54 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It has been posted in other threads that you should wax after using vinegar.

<I've found vinegar works on hard water spots but not "acid rain." Do small sections, allow the vinegar to sit for a minute or two and rinse. As mentioned it will strip all polish/wax/sealant so recoating is necessary.>

<Use vinegar; wax afterwards... >
Old 6/6/14, 12:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you spray your car to rinse it, you will cover it with a lot of little drops.
Those turn into spots quickly, especially in the sun.

Try rinsing your car with the hose turned down and no nozzle. Just a slow pour. Move the flow slowly over the surfaces from the high points to the low points to "pull" most of the water off. Then quickly use your drying towel for what's left. Do each panel separately.

It sounds weird but it works!
Old 6/6/14, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You have a black car. You need to invest in some better products, from autogeek. Also, just because your car is brand new, doesn't mean it doesn't need a full detail right off the bat. That is actually the BEST time to do a full detail, to maximize the paints protection over the life of the car. The paint is new and free of contaminants - seal it in that way, so down the road your future details *should* be easier...