Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Wax / Polish Choice

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/13, 08:14 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax / Polish Choice

New to the forum, so please excuse this inquiry if it has already been covered (which I am sure it has).

I think that my head is going to exploid from all of the articles on the best wax/polish to use for a new car.

I like the Turtle Wax Liquid Ice because it goes on/off easy and can be applied to all surfaces, but hear conflicting reports about its longevity and long-term effects.

Then there are the complicated multi-process products, like Zaino, that seem both time consuming and costly.

The spectrum is very wide, any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 7/11/13, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by ColSaulTigh; 7/11/13 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 7/11/13, 08:56 AM
V6 Member

I really just want to protect the finish.

Thanks.
Old 7/11/13, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MartinM
New to the forum, so please excuse this inquiry if it has already been covered (which I am sure it has).

I think that my head is going to exploid from all of the articles on the best wax/polish to use for a new car.

I like the Turtle Wax Liquid Ice because it goes on/off easy and can be applied to all surfaces, but hear conflicting reports about its longevity and long-term effects.

Then there are the complicated multi-process products, like Zaino, that seem both time consuming and costly.

Thanks.
What are you looking for your wax product to do? Is it for protection? Are you using it to 'enhance your shine'? Do you want it for extra 'polish'? Basically, what are you trying to accomplish with your wax?

The reason I ask is because most people think wax is to enhance the shine of the car, which it's not. Wax is a sacrificial layer to PROTECT your paint. If your paint has been properly corrected, it will produce plenty of 'shine'.

Check out THIS THREAD for more details.

As for which wax to use, there is no right answer (although there are a few wrong ones). It really depends on what level of effort you want to put into protecting your paint.

I'd suggest doing some reading, then you should be able to better make a decision. Also, check out "Junkman2000"'s videos on YouTube for more information, specifically this one:

followed by this one:

Old 7/11/13, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I found Griot's Garage carnauba paste wax very easy to use and have been happy with the results.
Old 7/11/13, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

I use Meguiars 105 & 205 just as Junkman suggest in the videos above to correct and polish my paint (this provides the shine) then I wax it with Meguiars #75 (hi-tech yellow wax) all part of there Mirror glaze line which I think is very good. What I don't understand is where sealants fit in and when to do them? This isn't really addressed here. Like do you wash, clay, polish, seal, wax? Or is the seal after the wax?
Old 7/11/13, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I use Meguiars 105 & 205 just as Junkman suggest in the videos above to correct and polish my paint (this provides the shine) then I wax it with Meguiars #75 (hi-tech yellow wax) all part of there Mirror glaze line which I think is very good. What I don't understand is where sealants fit in and when to do them? This isn't really addressed here. Like do you wash, clay, polish, seal, wax? Or is the seal after the wax?
Sealant = "Artificial Wax". The serve the same function, but perform differently. A sealant is synthetic, and lasts longer than a "natural wax". Read THIS POST for more details.
Old 7/11/13, 12:14 PM
Cobra Member

Sweet!, must have missed that. Thanks ColSaulTigh
Old 7/11/13, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Wrong number for Meg's hi tech yellow wax.. the number in the pro line (beige bottles) is #26.

I wash, clay, rewash, dry, polish. Then I use Meguiar's #21 synthetic sealant. After that cures, I top it with a nice carnauba wax. The carnauba gives my paint warmth and acts as a sacrificial layer.
Old 7/11/13, 03:04 PM
Detailing Guru

Some good friendly support here, keep up the good work guys
Old 7/11/13, 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz

Wrong number for Meg's hi tech yellow wax.. the number in the pro line (beige bottles) is #26.

I wash, clay, rewash, dry, polish. Then I use Meguiar's #21 synthetic sealant. After that cures, I top it with a nice carnauba wax. The carnauba gives my paint warmth and acts as a sacrificial layer.
Yep my bad #26. I do the same thing as far as the order of detailing steps. I think I will try blackfire wet diamond soon to give sealants a try.
Old 7/11/13, 05:25 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I use 105 and 205, then either Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax or Dodo Juice Diamond White. I have purple haze as well, but that is only for the black parts.
Old 7/18/13, 09:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also use Meg's #25 for the wax. I usually put down a couple coats of a synthetic after the correction, then the Meg's Glaze I think #21. Then the wax. Once a year correction and maintain all year. The Glaze makes it look crazy deep on DIB after all the steps.
Old 7/18/13, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
What are you looking for your wax product to do? Is it for protection? Are you using it to 'enhance your shine'? Do you want it for extra 'polish'? Basically, what are you trying to accomplish with your wax?

The reason I ask is because most people think wax is to enhance the shine of the car, which it's not. Wax is a sacrificial layer to PROTECT your paint. If your paint has been properly corrected, it will produce plenty of 'shine'.

Check out THIS THREAD for more details.

As for which wax to use, there is no right answer (although there are a few wrong ones). It really depends on what level of effort you want to put into protecting your paint.

I'd suggest doing some reading, then you should be able to better make a decision. Also, check out "Junkman2000"'s videos on YouTube for more information, specifically this one:

followed by this one:

^^^^ I second this. Great vids and techniques shown in each of these.
Old 7/20/13, 02:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MartinM

Thanks.
A lot of people assume Zaino is complex and expensive.
You'll get 30+ Coats out of a bottle of Zaino, may 20+ if you're using it for the time.
A bottle of polish at 20-30 coats a bottle for $20 isn't bad at all.

https://themustangsource.com/f659/pi...-zaino-521136/

Check my thread and pics there.
Its using Zaino Z5 for the gloss and Z8 Detail spray for the finish, nothing else really. A couple of coats of Z5.
Old 7/20/13, 02:19 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxix
A lot of people assume Zaino is complex and expensive.
You'll get 30+ Coats out of a bottle of Zaino, may 20+ if you're using it for the time.
A bottle of polish at 20-30 coats a bottle for $20 isn't bad at all.
https://themustangsource.com/f659/pi...-zaino-521136/
Check my thread and pics there.
Its using Zaino Z5 for the gloss and Z8 Detail spray for the finish, nothing else really. A couple of coats of Z5.
BINGO!!
It really isn't hard to use or expensive. I don't know where people come up with that?!
I use the Z2 as the polish and the Z8 detail as the topper/finish. Absolutely amazing. (If you need proof, I'll post pics! )
Old 7/20/13, 05:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I've tried zaino and it wasn't impressive.
Old 7/20/13, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I use griots products. it saved me from this.
Old 7/20/13, 06:33 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I've tried zaino and it wasn't impressive.
Mmmmmmm,...........first time I've ever heard that. Everyone that has ever used it is hooked and love it. Did you apply correctly?
Old 7/20/13, 06:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Yes. Meguiars worked way better. So now it just sits on the shelf, need to trash it.

Quick Reply: Wax / Polish Choice