Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Touchless

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/07, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Touchless

Can a touchless car wash like the one at Esso stations give a blakc car swirl marks. it drys using a blower so I dont think so however, sometimes after washing it there it appears to have more swirls marks than b4 I cuold be imagining it though.
Old 7/28/07, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never take my car to any car wash other than the Do-it Yourself deals.
I read your other post
What I use is
Meguiars Scratch X for the real stubborn spots
then I use Nu Finish polish
and follow up with a few coats of
Meguiars NXT wax
and when I am really up to it after washing my car I hit it with some Liquid Ice clay bar.
Another factor is what kind of cloths are you using to wash or wipe down your car. I use 100% cotton and when the cloths become dirty I usually just throw them.
I also try to pay extra attention as to where I use the cloths and then wipe my car for instance dont wipe your wheels then go to the car. You will have picked up dirt and now its like using sand paper on your paint.
But thats just me LOL
Ask some ppl that know me and they will tell you I am a bit of a freak at cleaning.
I didnt get the header "Mr clean has nothing on me" for nothing.
Old 7/28/07, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

ScratchX is probably one of the best products that one can use without going to a rotary buffer (professional recommended).

As I suggested in the other post, spend some time on the meguiar's forum.

I'm also a "clean" freak - in fact, I spent last Saturday at Meguiar's at one of their detailing forums. Lots of good stuff.
Old 7/29/07, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes it can! The pressure of the water spray is so high it can go right throught door seals of older cars. I used to use it on my truck, and after noticing faint lines on the black portions I quit. I woudn't use a drive through wash on a nice car, but if you must, I've heard the soft brush ones are the best.
Old 7/29/07, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

I'm not so sure about the wash itself causing the swirl marks. The water would have to be swirling quite a bit which I don't think is the case. At any rate, in a couple of minutes with some Meguiar' s No. 9 swirl remover and you'll be in good shape. It cleans the paint and polishes out the fine swirl marks. Follow-up with some No. 7 Showcar Glaze or if you have a DA Machine Glaze. Finish off with some wax or your favorite sealant of choice. The genesis of swirl marks is usually the actual washing process. Always use a soft cotton wrapped wash sponge and use lots of suds. Wash in straight lines rather in a circular motion. Likewise, dry in long straight strokes along body lines. Use 100% cotton and remove all tags. It's doesn't take any more time to do it right. You just need to be extra conscientious with a black car. I have 3 in the stable at the moment and have had about 4 others over the years. All swirl free!
Old 7/29/07, 08:13 AM

Ive taken mine to a touchless laser wash on more than one occasion. I have had absolutly no problems with it aside from the fact that the blowers dont get it dry and I end up getting water marks. The way I see it, the high pressure wash is good for getting off the muck when you dont have time to wash it yourself or when the elements (COLD or extreme heat) would rather you stay in your car. Asfar as the wash causing swirl marks....I dont think so, swirls are usually caused by improper hand washing and drying techniques and tools.

Oh and I would like to add that I would never EVER take my car to an automated car wash that uses brushes period...not to mention the ones that have drying teams at the end. Basically what your getting there is all the grit from the day's cars rubbing all over your pristine black finish. That means swirls swirls swirls swirls.
Old 7/29/07, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
ever since those "touchless" arms touched and scrtched my rear bumper I have not gone back.
Old 7/29/07, 09:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the touchless wash then come home and hand wash it, the touchless works great for getting the loose and big stuff off but you still can see a lot of dirt in the rinse bucket later.