Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Tips to Keeping Convertible Clean/Looking New

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/14, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tips to Keeping Convertible Clean/Looking New

I've never owned a convertible before and just wanted to know how all of you convertible owners wash and keep your car clean?

I just bought a black convertible yesterday... and it already looks dirty. Lots of pollen from a nearby tree is all over it.

1) Are brushless car wash places safe? Will the cloth top be damaged in any way?
2) What about the touchless car washes?
3) If you own a black car, how often do you wash it?
4) Do you use the waterless spray-on wash?
5) What do you use to keep the cloth top clean?
6) In the winter, if you don't park it in a garage and just leave it on the driveway, do you put a cover over it?

Old 6/1/14, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am on my 2nd convertible, 2005 and now 2007 with the vinyl top, cloth was only an option on the GT500's then. I drove the 2005 year round and used RaggTopp cleaner and protectant-

http://www.autogeek.net/rafaca.html?...Fc9xOgodj2gA7Q

no cover, left outside, same with the 2007. No issues. Touchless car washes are fine, if you go to a self-serve wash where you use the wand, dont linger on any spot trying to get the bird crap or tree tar off, you will burn a hole in it, ask me how I know, lol.
Old 6/1/14, 04:36 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Petunia
I've never owned a convertible before and just wanted to know how all of you convertible owners wash and keep your car clean?

I just bought a black convertible yesterday... and it already looks dirty. Lots of pollen from a nearby tree is all over it.

1) Are brushless car wash places safe? Will the cloth top be damaged in any way?
2) What about the touchless car washes?
3) If you own a black car, how often do you wash it?
4) Do you use the waterless spray-on wash?
5) What do you use to keep the cloth top clean?
6) In the winter, if you don't park it in a garage and just leave it on the driveway, do you put a cover over it?

Your car and mine are practically soulmates!!!

I've been obsessing over keeping the car clean. But I just recently retired and am committed to staying on top of it. I also keep it in the garage....with a cover...but somehow pollen still finds it. I've resigned myself to dealing with pollen. Rather that though instead of dirt and grime staying on the car.

As long as the weather is nice I'll wipe down the car using Meguiar's Quick Detail Spray. If it's crappy, the car stays in the garage. It doesn't take long to wipe down and you don't have to use much. Just remember that you should use microfiber towel. All auto parts stores have them.

The Quick Detailer is great for pollen and fingerprints. I've only washed the car once so far, only because I picked up some road dirt on a long nighttime drive, and I didn't want to chance grinding the dirt into the finish, even with the Meguiar's. Otherwise I wipe the car down at least once a day.

Once it's dust free, it goes in the garage and under a cover.

I'm swearing by this Meguiar's product. I just did a quickie detail on the exterior and tires a short while ago....looks fantastic.

By the way, where in NJ are you?

Tom
Old 6/1/14, 05:15 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
I've owned convertibles since the 1970's and they have come a long way! The Mustang cloth top is excellent and regular hand washing is all you need to keep it clean. I use any quality name car wash product. It's usually only about $5 per gallon and you use very little in a bucket of warm water. RAGGTOPP is essential to keep the cloth material fresh and resilient. Water beads on it. When the bead is gone, it is time to re-apply. If the Mustang is left outside it will require more treatments than a garage kept car. Winters in NJ would be a killer for most tops but keeping the top clean and protected will prolong the life.
I am dead set against automated car washes for convertibles, even the touchless type. No good can come from these places. Make the effort, if humanly possible, to do it yourself. My Mustang top is as close to perfect as possible for a 7 year old car and my '01 Trans Am is certainly hanging in there too, going on year 14. It has the same Haartz cloth material as the Mustang. Same with my old Porsche 911 cabriolet and a BMW Z3. I never had to replace a top on any convertible I have owned.
It is also imperative to keep the rubber seals soft and pliable. Each season the rubber should be treated with your favorite protectant (Armorall, Mother's, Meguiars) and massaged well into the rubber. My personal experience involves the use of Armorall and massaging it well into all the rubber. Let it sit for 30 minutes. I then use a detailer (not more protectant) like Mother's to wipe over the rubber to remove that Armorall stickiness. It will not remove the benefits of the protectant. It is already well absorbed into the rubber. I do this every spring. If the car was outside I would do it twice per year. The rubber on both my convertibles is nealy perfect with no leaks. On a recent rip to FL we had one of those torrential FL rains pounding on the T/A. Not one drop inside the car. It would have been the same with the Mustang. It takes work but the rewards are obvious. Enjoy your ride!
*** Just wanted to add that car covers can be detrimental for convertible tops when stored outside. Even the expensive quality covers like California Covers traps moisture. There is just no way of preventing this. Moisture is bad!! I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by NC14GT; 6/1/14 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added info
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
05stangkc (9/10/22), mdb007 (6/4/23)
Old 6/1/14, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Petunia

Tripleblack14 is on point with the recommendation of the Meguiar's Quick Detailer - great stuff, I am never without a bottle. It will make taking care of that sweet ride of yours so much easier. There is also a Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer as well - little more money and just as effective. Use the quick detailer in between washes to remove pollen, dust and fingerprints and you should be good to go. One thing to remember though, if it starts getting a little difficult to wipe off then it's time for a coat of wax. Enjoy!!!
Old 6/1/14, 06:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I agree with the megs quick detailer, I usually wipe down my truck after a wash to get rid of water spots.
As for washing, I only wash it about once every two weeks, it rains just about every time I wash it and it's my daily driver.
Here a pic of mine, haven't washed it since Wednesday two weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails Tips to Keeping Convertible Clean/Looking New-image-2564138970.jpg  
Old 6/1/14, 06:28 PM
FR500 Member

Meguiar's also has a Quick Wax Spray and it's formulated for black cars. As long as you regularly clean your car in some fashion, follow it up every few days with the spray wax. There's not much elbow grease involved. If it starts to smudge, use another microfiber cloth.

I just spray waxed mine before I put her under the car cover and to bed for the nite. Heading out to the dealer in Pa tomorrow morning, then over to DMV, and finally my stripe guy appointment for an estimate.

A full day Monday top down driving....it's why I worked so hard on it today. Can't wait for the sunshine.

Tom
Old 6/1/14, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

These are really great tips! Thank you all so much!!

I will definitely pick up the Meguiars tomorrow and clean out the junk in the garage this summer so I can store it in there especially over the winter.

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
By the way, where in NJ are you? Tom
I'm from northern NJ, Bergen County

Originally Posted by shurtual86
Here a pic of mine
Truck looks great. I want to black out my wheels too!
Old 6/2/14, 08:19 AM
FR500 Member

I'm out in Morris County. Maybe I'll see ya buzzing down Rt 80.

I just sent in my app to join the North Jersey Chapter of the Mustang Club of America. I'll let you know how that works out.

http://www.gsrmc.org/

And get that garage cleaned out!!!!

Tom
Old 6/2/14, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Bought the Meguiars quick detail today and it's great! Took me about 10-15 minutes to clean off the pollen with that and a microfiber cloth.

Thanks again for the tips!!
Old 6/3/14, 05:36 AM
FR500 Member

Meguiar's also makes a product called Gold Class Premium spray wax....comes in a black bottle and is formulated for black cars. I've used it twice immediately after the spray detailer and just before pollen had a chance to magnetize to the car again. So far I'm really pleased. Way less elbow grease than hard wax. The results are pretty amazing.

What have you been using on your tires? I'm not totally happy with the Meguiar's Extreme Shine...it's not bad but it's just not doing it for me.

Back in the old days I used to use Kiwi shoe polish. I may bite the bullet and experiment with that.

Tom
Old 6/5/14, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I can't believe none of you fella's hasn't recommended a "California Duster" for that thin layer of dust that accumulates over night. So, I will. Michelle, get you a California Duster. Greatest thing since sliced bread. The dirtier it gets, the better it works. Try Wally World, they usually have them at the cheapest price.

BTW, works better when the paint has a good coat of wax or detailer on it.
Old 6/5/14, 07:30 PM
FR500 Member

Are refering to the dust mop with the black handle? If so I got one, and it leaves tiny bits of fibers and red lint all over the car. The pollen looks better. Worst $15 I've spent so far.

Of course, I'm dealing with a black car, so therein lies half the problem.

Tom
Old 6/5/14, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Only get a true "California Duster" and never wash it....my Dad ruined one doing that.... They have always worked good on the black cars I had in the past. Just dust lightly or you get oily type streaks. I would detail the car after a couple of dustings to get a good shine.
Old 6/6/14, 02:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Are refering to the dust mop with the black handle? If so I got one, and it leaves tiny bits of fibers and red lint all over the car. The pollen looks better. Worst $15 I've spent so far.

Of course, I'm dealing with a black car, so therein lies half the problem.

Tom
No sir, I'm talking about the original "California Duster". But, even it has a tendency to leave some streaks when new. Easy to clean with a soft cloth. After the duster gets kinda dirty it stops the streaking, and it has never left fibers/lint on the cars. Hopefully "Cali Duster" hasn't messed up a good thing. I've had mine for over five years now.
Old 6/8/14, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Tips to Keeping Convertible Clean/Looking New-image-37970645.jpg

Just detailed and waxed. Got the California duster and the Meguiars black spray wax!

Thanks all!
Old 6/8/14, 09:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Petunia
Just detailed and waxed. Got the California duster and the Meguiars black spray wax! Thanks all!
nice, now put some wax and a sealant and you should go to go!
Old 6/9/14, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if water on the inside of the headliner on the convertible top will cause fading? Left the top down for a little bit and it drizzled a little..looks a little faded but wasn't sure if it just needs to dry out. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 6/10/14, 07:02 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by gt-roar
Does anyone know if water on the inside of the headliner on the convertible top will cause fading? Left the top down for a little bit and it drizzled a little..looks a little faded but wasn't sure if it just needs to dry out. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
No, water won't cause fading after a simple drizzle. It all dries out. I've been caught in some unexpected downpours before I could get the top up. Never an issue. It's just water and will dry, unless you leave it wet or don't allow it to dry in a ventilated area. That could cause mildew or mold.
Old 7/23/14, 11:48 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Once the convertible top is clean you can use either raggtopp or 303 for protectant. I have used the 303 and it works great! Water beads and just rolls off. I have only applied it once and it's been 3 years and still beads water like nothing.

Quick Reply: Tips to Keeping Convertible Clean/Looking New