Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Rim care - help?!?

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/14, 07:48 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Question Rim care - help?!?

Need some help.
Could easily google this but thought Id get some expert advice from you guys.
Was putting on my Summers and noticed that the rims have corrosion on them. Probably from the salt at the beginning of winter.

How do you get rid of it/fix it?
And how do you prevent it? (Other than switching to winters early)

Is there product I should use to protect my rims?
Old 4/9/14, 08:02 AM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take it these are bare metal wheels/lips we're talking about. If they're clear-coated, then you're looking at clear-coat failure, and there's nothing you can do aside from having them sanded and repainted.

If there's light damage on the metal, metal polish and a whole lot of elbow grease might help. As far as helping in the future, switching earlier is truly the best solution. If you're rocking delicate wheels for the summer months, I don't know why you'd even come close to risking it.
Waxing your wheels can help, but it will only last 1-2 months, and if you use wheel cleaner, the cleaner will likely strip it in the first use.
Old 4/13/14, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marc pretty much nailed it. When I had a set of wheels with bare lips a few years back, the best way I found to take care of them is to be as **** as possible. This involved cleaning with mild shampoos (I rarely ever used an actual wheel cleaner, usually just a car soap like CG Citrus Wash & Gloss), definitely removing them before they're exposed to any winter salt, snow, etc. and also protecting them as best as possible and as often as possible. I'd even try to blow dry them each time I got caught in the rain in order to minimize the chance for water spotting.

As for protection, something like the 22PLE VM1 wheel coating may be a good idea for a bit longer protection, but in general you can throw a layer of regular wax or even some spray wax every few weeks/washes.

In short, these type of wheels are surely a pain to deal with, especially now that you have to first fix them before trying to protect and maintain them.

Best of luck!

Ivan @ DI