Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Local tire shop gouged my painted rims

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/06 | 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Local tire shop gouged my painted rims

Can anything be done to improve the looks? Hubby doesn't want the hassle, just won't use them again. The rim is pretty beat up in about 3 places. Went in to have a flat fixed,wasn't even on the car,I had it in the truck bed. I'm sick.
This is how sick I am-Rims are 17" bright machine cast aluminum,not painted.
Called dealer-new rim is $252.60 with my rim turned in, $302.60 if I keep old rim. Recommended Tire and Wheel Connection of Houston for repair. They said they fix 25-30 each day, and it would be $125.00 to repair. Ouch all the way around.
Old 8/14/06 | 02:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

there is no easy answer
Old 8/14/06 | 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do I understand it that a tire shop damaged one of your rims while fixing a flat? Well if that is the case, I would talk to the manager of that shop and show him the rim and tell him that they have to buy you a replacement. All reputable auto shops have insurance that covers things like this. Why should you have to buy a new rim if they damaged it????
Old 8/14/06 | 04:53 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

When I had new tires put on my Accord each wheel was damaged when some ape used a pair of pump pliers to remove the valve stems instead of the right tool. Gouged each alloy wheel. I went back inside a grabbed the manager, took him outside and pointed out the damage and told him I knew they screwed up. He said he would call me when my new wheels came in, and they did.

You have to go back and talk to a manager or owner, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 8/14/06 | 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would make them replace the damaged wheel. I doubt anything could be done to improve the looks of damaged wheels.
Old 8/14/06 | 08:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's not a friends tire shop I hope ? then if they did it and it was not done in the back of the pick up , did you notice right then and there ? or was it after ? you may have to use those words wisley at that point to try to get them to acceptance. Worse case I buy Shelby rims and sell off mine or give you one Cheryl
Old 8/15/06 | 07:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Worse case I buy Shelby rims and sell off mine or give you one Cheryl
Thanks for the offer, Ed! This shop is a "Mom and Pop" kind of place, not a chain. They've been in business here forever. Everyone recommends them. When we could not get our 65 aligned, they were able to get in done. I hate to make them pay for it, they really are nice people. I did not see damage at the shop, noticed it when I got it home. Never even looked at it there. Hubby went back an hour or so later,told them about it, showed them the rim. They did not come to a firm agreement about repair or payment. I think I will take it to the place I mentioned above, I really want my original rim. I guess I'll give the tire shop the bill and see what, if any they will pay. I really feel they should pay for all of it, but I really can't prove it was scratch free, even though it was. Hubby does not want it fixed if we have to pay any of it. He says rims get scratched, live with it. He does not understand Mustang ownership! Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the replies!

Rereading original post,it doesn't make sense-Hubby removed tire,put it in truck bed. I drove it to the shop, they removed it, fixed flat, put it back in truck, I paid the bill, drove home.
Old 8/15/06 | 01:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well if I do order a set of Shelby wheels I will post my Premium machine cast here somewhere, and now were getting seven Shebly's here all spoken for and those on the list too late were all called sorry not enough, I'm in the sorry factor.Hope it all works out for you.
Life really is a daily learning quest Huh !
Attached Thumbnails Local tire shop gouged my painted rims-brakes-001.jpg  
Old 8/15/06 | 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

As I said before, if they damaged it, they should pay for a replacment. One thing I always do when I leave my cars for some kind of service, I always walk around my car and inspect it for any damage before leaving the shop. Especially around the area where they worked on it. I even do this when I take it to my dealer for an oil change. But thats just me I guess. Hope they take care of it for you. If you are sure they did it, I would demand that they replace the damaged part. Tell them it is not acceptable.
Old 8/15/06 | 06:51 PM
Number Cruncher

Originally Posted by Scarpi
As I said before, if they damaged it, they should pay for a replacment. One thing I always do when I leave my cars for some kind of service, I always walk around my car and inspect it for any damage before leaving the shop. Especially around the area where they worked on it. I even do this when I take it to my dealer for an oil change. But thats just me I guess. Hope they take care of it for you. If you are sure they did it, I would demand that they replace the damaged part. Tell them it is not acceptable.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this.
Have never had anything bad happen, but I'm a paranoid.
With the stang, I've gotten so bad that I take a walk around video before I leave it with service.
Old 8/15/06 | 09:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Lennyb44
I've gotten so bad that I take a walk around video before I leave it with service.
Im so crazy now with this kinda thing I have switched my wheels before, then changed them back after service.