Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Into / clay bar question

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/12 | 12:26 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by max5ive0
FromZto5 your expertise is always appreciated!
Anytime Max... let me know if you have further questions. I will try to answer when I can. I try to balance being a husband, father or 2, engineer, detailer, and everything else hard to do. Forgive me.

Originally Posted by BTR-75
Several have said it but it bears repeating, if the clay hits the ground throw it away and use a new bar. Saving a couple dollars to try and keep using it is not worth ruining your paint.
Indeed.

Whoever made that post needs to stop spreading misinformation. Don't post things you don't understand. It infuriates me that now, someone may drop his clay bar on a "swept floor" and reuse it. I mean come on. It's common sense. Unless your floor is a surgical ceramic tile, well heck, even then I'd throw it away. Lol.
Old 7/17/12 | 06:31 PM

I clayed the very next day.
Old 7/26/12 | 01:21 PM

I clayed my Boss a little over a week after I got it (Meguiar's kit).....I pretty much did the exact thing that's been recommended in this thread but I found it to be gliding very smoothly at all times and on every panel. I was under the impression that I would feel some resistance and even some "dirt" or substance on the clay bar, but it was extremely clean after the whole car was done. I then wiped down with a nice MF, applied a coat of Meguiar's Gold and then their detail spray after that........and to be honest, it looks exactly the same as when I just washed and waxed it. I wasn't sure I did it right at first but after reading this, I apparently did. I'm just not seeing the visual benefit of the clay bar. It's Grabber Blue if that makes any difference.
Old 7/26/12 | 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
Clay bars are going the way of the 8 track tape.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/surfa...wel-combo.html
If I was going to use anything other than a claybar this would be my number 1 choice.

http://www.nanoskinusa.com/_e/AUTOSC...CRUB_6_Pad.htm

Originally Posted by SOCOMech
I clayed my Boss a little over a week after I got it (Meguiar's kit).....I pretty much did the exact thing that's been recommended in this thread but I found it to be gliding very smoothly at all times and on every panel. I was under the impression that I would feel some resistance and even some "dirt" or substance on the clay bar, but it was extremely clean after the whole car was done. I then wiped down with a nice MF, applied a coat of Meguiar's Gold and then their detail spray after that........and to be honest, it looks exactly the same as when I just washed and waxed it. I wasn't sure I did it right at first but after reading this, I apparently did. I'm just not seeing the visual benefit of the clay bar. It's Grabber Blue if that makes any difference.
On the lighter color cars such as Grabber Blue you will not notice much of a difference and also the contaminants will be hard to see. But before you clay bar next time grab a plastic baggie and rub it along the surface of the car, you will feel all the contaminants on the car and when done properly do the same thing with the plastic baggie and you will feel the difference.
Old 7/26/12 | 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I buy my clay bars from Finishmaster. I buy either Meguiar's blue, Schlegel Gray Ghost or CAR products ptofessional grade clay bars. The first thing I do when I open the package it to cut the bar into eighths. I use a small section at a time, kneading and folding it frequently. When it gets to the point where it can't be used on paint anymore, I use it for glass or to break down stubborn brake dust on wheels.

If I drop a piece, I just toss it and grab another.
Old 8/8/12 | 09:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I've been using an absorber type towel that comes in a tube to dry my car. I never liked the skin shammy. You couldn't pay me to use a bath towel.

Is the micro fiber towel better for drying than the absorber?
Old 8/13/12 | 08:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by silverstate777
I purchased my 2012 V6 back in March and immediately used the Meguiars clay bar / quick detailer. Then I applied two coats of #20 (by hand) which I like better as it lasts longer than wax, but it doesn’t have the deep show shine.

#20 is an AWESOME product and so easy to use! I use it for customer cars quite often. You could try topping it with D156 or it's consumer equivalent, Ultimate Quik Wax, for a deeper wet look. Either way, I would suggest UQW after maintenance washes to help boost the #20
Old 8/20/12 | 05:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
you can clay it as soon as you drive it home. Do it in the garage if possible after sweeping the floor so if you drop the clay it should be ok. You can clay a bigger section than 2x2 and still be ok as long as its lubed up well. Tell the dealership not to wash, wax or buff your car and if you don't want the front plate mounted tellem not to mess with the front bumper either.
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the sitte.

If you drop the clay... discard it! Even the best swept floor will have microscopic particels of dirt on it, which will scratch the paintwork.
Old 8/20/12 | 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

You can clay the glass?!?!?!
Old 8/20/12 | 08:05 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Womprat
yes sir. You can clay anything. Headlights, windshield, chrome, rims, etc.... in fact, it is recommended. I clay all my rims and windshield whenever I do my bi-annual claying. Esp clay...all that brake dust? get it off!
Old 8/21/12 | 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SOCOMech
Claying, while useful on most new cars, it's necessarily going to do anything for a brand new paint job Your paint may have just been very clean already.

You know when clay is doing something because you can hear it. There's a distinctive sound (a bit scary the first time you hear it -- sound like you are scratching the crap out of the paint) and resistance -- and the clay will get visibly dirty.
Old 8/21/12 | 10:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Womprat
I clay my glass when I get water spots =) Takes them right off usually.