Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Do I really need a clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/15, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PA-Fatboy
My 2016 GT needed a session with clay from the day I brought it home. I absolutely believe in claying. I did find a real nice clay eraser from the chemical guys. It's a pad that goes on my polisher and uses lubrication just like clay. I used the very fine pad on my GT. it came out beutiful. Then I put a good paint sealant on top that is supposed to,last 12 months. I'll be happy with 3-4, just get me through the gritty winter months.

The car was filthy from the dealer and transportation. The dealer also,was so,eager to get me off the lot with the car that the cleaning wasn't even done. I didn't push that at all. I am very happy taking car of that myself. An afternoon in the garage, listening to classic rock, and wheeling around on my garage mechanic chair detailing is almost heaven. You now it's bad when a good carnauba wax smell puts a big smile on your face.

Definitely clay if the service feels rough. If you don't, I think, you are just pushing the contaminants into your paint.
Exactly this. I was waiting until it cooled down in SC to do a good job on my 2016, and yesterday, I clayed with Meguiar's clay kit, then put on a coat of Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore Carnuba paste wax. The car looks fantastic, and I was able to get rid of this random blue line that was on my driver's rear bumper. It was a serious pain to get off, even with the clay!

Next weekend, I'm going to clay my wife's white Mercedes GLK350, then apply a coat or two of Blackfire Crystal Seal paint sealant. I might throw a coat of that on top of my Mustang, as well.

JR