Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Cleaning bird poo from vinyl stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/07 | 05:14 PM

Cleaning bird poo from vinyl stripes?

I love my new BSM 12" vinyl stripes! And so do the birds.

I just noticed some bird poo on the hood stripe today. There is no way it was there for more than 12 hours, but now the vinyl is stained. I've tried washing with soap and water. Also tried goo gone with no luck.

How do you all keep your stripes pearly white?

Jeramie
Old 5/6/07 | 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

You should alway use baking soda to neutralize the bird droppings acid before you try to wash it 1 teaspoon baking soda to a qt of water. Dab on with a rag and let it soak for a few minutes. This is for all finishes not just the vinyl. Trying to scrub it off will scratchthe paint because birds also ingest small grains of rock/sand when they eat to help their digestive sytem clean itself. NO POO!!!!
good luck
07 Hoss
Old 5/6/07 | 06:16 PM
SMG

Waxing the stripes also works well. It helps get rid of fine scratches and small stains in the vinyl such as bird poo.
Old 5/6/07 | 06:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

or just maybe have this put in place ?
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoid=851583497
Wax works pretty well although the poo is acidic so after a time and depending what it ate it may burn in if left too long.
sorry I read Larry's advice after Most Excellent ! I may add.
Old 5/6/07 | 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I use Meguire's Cleaner Wax on bird droppings. I also have Vinyl stripes and have had issues with keeping them nice. I wax the whole car including the stripes to keep things uniform.
Old 5/7/07 | 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
You should alway use baking soda to neutralize the bird droppings acid before you try to wash it 1 teaspoon baking soda to a qt of water. Dab on with a rag and let it soak for a few minutes. This is for all finishes not just the vinyl. Trying to scrub it off will scratchthe paint because birds also ingest small grains of rock/sand when they eat to help their digestive sytem clean itself. NO POO!!!!
good luck
07 Hoss
Thanks for the tip. I soaked the hood first and then sprayed off the big stuff with a hose. Then I spot washed the stain. It could be too late but I'll give the baking soda a try tonight.
Old 5/7/07 | 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
I use Meguire's Cleaner Wax on bird droppings. I also have Vinyl stripes and have had issues with keeping them nice. I wax the whole car including the stripes to keep things uniform.
I'll definately be putting a wax on the stripes. However, I just installed the stripes TWO weeks ago,, so I have two more weeks before I can wax them. At least according to the directions I got from Baltimore Street Mods.
Old 5/7/07 | 11:56 AM
GT Member

Try the vinyl/convertible cleaner and then use the protectant. Used it on mine to get wax residue off and it worked great
http://www.properautocare.com/303.ht...FRBGGAodGEf-2A
Old 5/7/07 | 12:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would imagine any cleaner wax with petroleum distillates will remove it, just as it does tar stains and tree sap.
Old 5/7/07 | 12:27 PM
Cobra Member

Yep try some meguiars cleaner/wax you should be able to get it out with that.
Old 5/7/07 | 12:42 PM
I Have No Life

hate to burst your bubble but the fact is once vinyl becomes stained (especially white) the stain is almost next to impossible to completely remove. If you didn't wax your stripes before you will definately want to now. You might also want to put a coat of glaze on before you wax, as glaze helps repel bird crap, tree sap and UV rays.
Old 5/7/07 | 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

The answer: BON AMI. I just tried it and it works. Its like comet but does not scratch.

How I found out: Today I washed the car in preparation for some Zaino. I used dawn dishwashing liquid to remove the old carnuba wax. I have the Zaino clay bar to remove anything left after the wash like bug stains and road tar. Then I noticed my vinyl white stripes. There is what looks like reverse water spots on the stripes. ie. The stripes are white in circles and is greyish black everywhere else on the stripe. The car is almost 1 year old since the car was build. I bought it Dec. 24th. It has not been warm very long, so I waited to wax it until now. I did wash it every two week even in the winter time. So, I tried to remove the black from the stripes, its like a film covering the entire stripe. 1st clay to no avail, 2nd Windex brand surface cleaner with Vinegar with NO ammonia to no avail, 3rd I tried Zaino plastic cleaner to no avail, 4th Baking soda and water to no avail, then I tried lastly Goon Gone in a spray bottle, orange in color, still none of the black is being removed from the stripes. Well, I might have found the right cleaner; Bon Ami.
Old 5/7/07 | 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Reverend
The answer: BON AMI. I just tried it and it works. Its like comet but does not scratch.

How I found out: Today I washed the car in preparation for some Zaino. I used dawn dishwashing liquid to remove the old carnuba wax. I have the Zaino clay bar to remove anything left after the wash like bug stains and road tar. Then I noticed my vinyl white stripes. There is what looks like reverse water spots on the stripes. ie. The stripes are white in circles and is greyish black everywhere else on the stripe. The car is almost 1 year old since the car was build. I bought it Dec. 24th. It has not been warm very long, so I waited to wax it until now. I did wash it every two week even in the winter time. So, I tried to remove the black from the stripes, its like a film covering the entire stripe. 1st clay to no avail, 2nd Windex brand surface cleaner with Vinegar with NO ammonia to no avail, 3rd I tried Zaino plastic cleaner to no avail, 4th Baking soda and water to no avail, then I tried lastly Goon Gone in a spray bottle, orange in color, still none of the black is being removed from the stripes. Well, I might have found the right cleaner; Bon Ami.
Bon Ami. Thanks for the tip. The next couple days are booked for me, but after that I'm giving it a shot. Quickly followed by a coat of glaze and wax. I'll report back if the Bon Ami works on bird poo too. Thanks.

Jeramie
Old 9/3/07 | 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone else successful with Bon Ami? I use it regularly now. It works wonders. I cover the stripes with 303 now instead of Zaino Z2.