Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Detailing 101

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/12, 08:43 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mcate
I always use one of these.
Worth a shot. Thanks.
Old 7/20/12, 10:12 PM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al, Magic Erasers also work very well on textured plastic. That's my go-to on that type of material, so if you don't have a big pencil eraser but have a Magic Eraser, give it a shot.
Old 7/20/12, 10:16 PM

Cool Marc. That sounds even better. Just got my car back from the body shop. Fender looks great but of course now I got some new swirls from what ever guy does the washing over there. DANGITT!
Guess I got some polishing to do again.
Old 7/20/12, 10:19 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Overboost

They're like the Wal-Mart of the detailing community. They offer a ton of products, no doubt, but I think the actual pricing and ease of use has gone down since I started. I prefer Detailed Image or Detailer's Domain for most of my stuff. Actually, even better, I found an actual store called Autoality outside of Pittsburgh that's a really cool niche detailing shop, and the owner has a lot of good info to share.
Right there with you Overboost in regards to Autoality. Great owner and a fantastic store.
I believe he moved out of Monroeville Mall and now has his shop on Babcock Blvd. in the North Hills.
-------Bill
Old 7/20/12, 10:27 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by BB3

Right there with you Overboost in regards to Autoality. Great owner and a fantastic store.
I believe he moved out of Monroeville Mall and now has his shop on Babcock Blvd. in the North Hills.
-------Bill
I'm not thrilled that they moved out of the mall. How far away is it now from the mall?
Old 7/23/12, 04:18 PM

Question for the pros. What wash mitts or sponges are y'all using for the actual wash? I was using a MF mitt and I need a new one or what ever you guys recommend.
Old 7/23/12, 05:04 PM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Question for the pros. What wash mitts or sponges are y'all using for the actual wash? I was using a MF mitt and I need a new one or what ever you guys recommend.
Either lambswool or microfiber mitts. Lambswool is nice but isn't durable, while microfiber makes care a breeze; just wash with other microfiber on the hottest water possible.
Old 7/23/12, 09:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Either lambswool or microfiber mitts. Lambswool is nice but isn't durable, while microfiber makes care a breeze; just wash with other microfiber on the hottest water possible.
This!
Old 7/23/12, 09:36 PM

Thanks guys. Just making sure i was using the right mitt before I buy a new one.
Old 7/23/12, 09:51 PM
I Have No Life

Ok guys... I just wanted to share my results from a post wash I did today.

Marilyn was washed with a dual bucket method, dual grit guards, 3 mitts, ONR in rinse bucket, CG honeydew and ONR in wash bucket, ARO for rims, boars brush for brakes and spokes and lug nuts, sponges for rims, old mf's for inner wheel wells.

Marilyn was dried with the sheeting method, then leaf blow dried, then MF's with FK425. Then all door jambs were dried with V7. Rims sealed with V7. Hood jambs also dried with V7.

Here's the results of what proper washing techniques can do. I have not corrected/buffed Marilyn since November last year, and even then, it was just a light white polish pad with some light polish. Marilyn is still swirl free from the factory I can still remember the day I brought her home off the truck.....ahhhh

Anyways, here's some photos, taken at dusk (I LOVE dusk lighting) all unedited. She is still wearing Victoria Concours Red Wax from last week. I plan to put another coat on her this week. Sorry the photos are just in my driveway.... but I wasn't going to drive her until I get another layer of Victoria Red on her, maybe tomorrow.

Did I tell you guys how much I LOVE Kona? Lol.... that purple to blue transition is priceless. John, if you're reading this, can't believe you were thinking about trading her in for Red Candy

Name:  DSC_0313.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0316.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0318.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0319.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0331.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0332.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0337.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0338.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  99.7 KB

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/23/12 at 09:54 PM.
Old 7/23/12, 09:57 PM

Still looking great man. Just don't know if I can go through that much trouble just washing it. Looks like it really pays off but I'm just too impatient. She's beautiful though.
Old 7/23/12, 10:02 PM
I Have No Life

Still looking great man. Just don't know if I can go through that much trouble just washing it. Looks like it really pays off but I'm just too impatient. She's beautiful though.
Thanks Al... but believe it or not, the process I described above for washing is not that hard. I have the process down pat in 1-1/2 hours tops. That includes set up and tear down of all equipment...start to finish. That's not bad.

It's really not that hard... you just need the right equipment and technique...then voila.

Proper paint care is crucial to maintaining a show car finish.
Old 7/23/12, 10:10 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

It will take you at least 45 minutes to get there from Monroeville. You know all that **** traffic around the Squirrel Hill Tunnels screws everything up.......
Babcock Blvd. is the left street over from McKnight Rd. piece of cake to get to really, but like I said......that **** traffic.------Bill
Old 7/23/12, 10:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by BB3
It will take you at least 45 minutes to get there from Monroeville. You know all that **** traffic around the Squirrel Hill Tunnels screws everything up.......
Babcock Blvd. is the left street over from McKnight Rd. piece of cake to get to really, but like I said......that **** traffic.------Bill

Bill... did you post this in the wrong thread??? lol
Old 7/23/12, 10:19 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Sorry my friend, I forgot to quote on the previous page. My apologies.------Bill
Old 7/23/12, 10:22 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost

I'm not thrilled that they moved out of the mall. How far away is it now from the mall?
^^^^^^^^^
Sorry Overboost, I forgot to quote you before I responded.
My apologies.------Bill
Old 7/23/12, 10:25 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

FromZto5, I've told you before and I'll tell you again.......Your car is above reproach my friend. WOW !
Excellent-excellent work Sir.------Bill
Old 7/24/12, 03:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New question: Since I polished out my whole car, I have some spots of polish and compound on some rubber surfaces under the hood. What's the best way to clean polish and wax from underhood rubber and plastic? Really haven't tried much a towel with a little soap and water. Didn't really work.
Here's some good info:

Using a soft, clean, dry cloth, rub isopropyl alcohol over the trim until there are no white residue marks remaining.

Rub peanut butter across the trim to remove residual wax reside. The oils in peanuts dissolve car wax. Wipe away any excess peanut butter with a clean, dry cloth.

Wipe vinegar over the white stains until all the white waxy residue is gone.

Dampen a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and wipe it across the trim. Use caution with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, if too much pressure is applied and it comes in contact with the car's paint, it can damage the paint.

Apply white toothpaste to an old toothbrush and scrub the trim in a circular motion. Rinse the toothpaste away before it dries.

Scrub the trim with dish soap (Dawn is
Old 7/25/12, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The next time you polish and wax, take a few minutes and tape off all of the trim using either 3M painters tape or the automotive version of it... it saves hours of work.
Old 7/26/12, 05:08 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by BB3
FromZto5, I've told you before and I'll tell you again.......Your car is above reproach my friend. WOW !
Excellent-excellent work Sir.------Bill
Thanks bill... I appreciate the kind words. I'm just a regular dude with an insane passion for detailing. Lol

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Here's some good info:

Using a soft, clean, dry cloth, rub isopropyl alcohol over the trim until there are no white residue marks remaining.

Rub peanut butter across the trim to remove residual wax reside. The oils in peanuts dissolve car wax. Wipe away any excess peanut butter with a clean, dry cloth.

Wipe vinegar over the white stains until all the white waxy residue is gone.

Dampen a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and wipe it across the trim. Use caution with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, if too much pressure is applied and it comes in contact with the car's paint, it can damage the paint.

Apply white toothpaste to an old toothbrush and scrub the trim in a circular motion. Rinse the toothpaste away before it dries.

Scrub the trim with dish soap (Dawn is
Originally Posted by DaGonz
The next time you polish and wax, take a few minutes and tape off all of the trim using either 3M painters tape or the automotive version of it... it saves hours of work.
holy cow... I dunno, maybe it's just years of experience, but I can fully wax a car in under 15 mins... And no using tape, and no getting accidental wax or sealant on the trim.... Hmmmmm

Quick Reply: Car Detailing 101