Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Detailing 101

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/12, 10:57 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by speedrx
Good question. Also, there are a ton of different MF towel brands and some fairly good deals on large quantities. I am assuming there are different levels of quality, does it matter if you just buy any bundle of MF towels online (like Amazon) or do you need to stick with very specific brands?
Correct, many brands, many kinds. Try to stick with a high quality MF like I linked to in my above post. I've used/bought/tried many many many many kinds of towels. I have about 30 of the MF towels in the above link. All the rest, I have reduced to rim and door jamb towels (remember to keep these entirely separate from your good pile.
Old 2/5/12, 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with waffle weave towels for drying. I wound up getting 2 on sale then 2 more. I have 2 of the large cobra WW and 2 Sonus der Wonder WWs and they are very good with a nice silk edge.
Old 2/5/12, 11:04 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
I've had pretty good luck with waffle weave towels for drying. I wound up getting 2 on sale then 2 more. I have 2 of the large cobra WW and 2 Sonus der Wonder WWs and they are very good with a nice silk edge.
nothing wrong with it, like I said. Comes down to personal choice. If you guys feel it's safe and works good, go for it. Me personally, I'd never use it. I inspect my paint at night every time I drive her, under halogen and LED lighting (tower lights and handhelds). Yes I am super **** and insane... I know that. But I recall one time, after I tried a waffle weave on my black G35 years ago, I swear I saw some micro marring that I attributed solely from the waffle weave I used that day to dry. Again, maybe it wasn't from that, but still.... too risky for me. After using solely high quality MF's, no marring, no swirls ever again.
Old 2/5/12, 12:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Would the larger towels be better for drying? What do you do with your MF towels after use for waxing? Do you throw them in the washer and reuse them?

Amazon.com: MONSTER MICROFIBER EXTREME THICKNESS Microfiber Towel W/Black Silk Edges [16x16] (3 Pack): Microfiber-Products-Online Amazon.com: MONSTER MICROFIBER EXTREME THICKNESS Microfiber Towel W/Black Silk Edges [16x16] (3 Pack): Microfiber-Products-Online

Amazon.com: BIG MONSTER MICROFIBER -SILK BANDED MONSTER THICK MICROFIBER 17" x 24" (3 Pack): Microfiber-Products-Online Amazon.com: BIG MONSTER MICROFIBER -SILK BANDED MONSTER THICK MICROFIBER 17" x 24" (3 Pack): Microfiber-Products-Online
Old 2/5/12, 12:52 PM
MJN
GT Member

Why not use the air blower types then no contact? I aske cause been looking at these for a while but the price always scares me. Also any of you have leather interior, im curious to what you guys are using on your leather. I use the The Leather Dr system.
Old 2/5/12, 01:42 PM
Cobra R Member

I usually don't rub them on the paint, I lay them on it and let them soak up the bulk of the water on the surface. then a sprits of QD with a supreme 530 or 600 Gsm MF

Originally Posted by MJN
Why not use the air blower types then no contact? I aske cause been looking at these for a while but the price always scares me. Also any of you have leather interior, im curious to what you guys are using on your leather. I use the The Leather Dr system.
Leather Masters is my go to stuff.
Old 2/5/12, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Any tips for care/cleaning of convertible tops? Getting education in preparation for 2013 GT500.
Old 2/5/12, 03:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using Leatherique on the seats. I've also heard good things about the Leather Masters stuff.
Old 2/5/12, 03:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Any tips for care/cleaning of convertible tops? Getting education in preparation for 2013 GT500.
Don't get a convertible!!!!!!! Nooooo
Old 2/5/12, 03:59 PM
Detailing Guru

RaggTopp cleaner, and then the RaggTopp protectant that's made for the type of material your top will be made out of. Best stuff I've used.
Old 2/5/12, 04:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Don't get a convertible!!!!!!! Nooooo
Gotta have a convertible, it is going to be my sunny day cruise vehicle, I have daily drivers.
Old 2/6/12, 05:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
RaggTopp cleaner, and then the RaggTopp protectant that's made for the type of material your top will be made out of. Best stuff I've used.
Thanks for the tip, the RaggTopp products look excellent. I expect the top to be down most of the time and not exposed to a lot of weather, UV, dirt, etc. but I do want to clean and protect it as soon as I get it home from the dealer.

I am not going to have the dealer perform any cleaning or new car prep on my car, I want to bring it home as delivered and do it myself.
Old 2/6/12, 06:36 PM
Detailing Guru

Thanks for the tip, the RaggTopp products look excellent. I expect the top to be down most of the time and not exposed to a lot of weather, UV, dirt, etc. but I do want to clean and protect it as soon as I get it home from the dealer.

I am not going to have the dealer perform any cleaning or new car prep on my car, I want to bring it home as delivered and do it myself.
That's the best way to do it!

I like RaggTopp over the 303 kit because I don't think it's as prone to rinsing off and leaving residue all over your paint.
Old 2/26/12, 02:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
FromZto5, what are your thoughts on using a squeegee on the glass/body to remove most of the water, then using a towel simply for clean up?
Old 2/26/12, 03:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kylerohde
FromZto5, what are your thoughts on using a squeegee on the glass/body to remove most of the water, then using a towel simply for clean up?
Use it on the glass,but not the body. Use a towel and the blotting method to dry the paint.
Old 2/27/12, 06:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost

Use it on the glass,but not the body. Use a towel and the blotting method to dry the paint.
What is a disadvantage of using a squeegee on the body?
Old 2/27/12, 11:49 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
^ Overboost is correct. After sheeting method, I blow dry, then I blot dry, then I detail spray with several clean plus MF's.

Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
What is a disadvantage of using a squeegee on the body?
NEVER use squeegee on body.

Because the squeegee does not have naps/fibers to pick up dirt off the surface and embed it deep in the fibers like MF's do. In other words, if a dust spec/particly is on the paint surface after you rinse, pulling a squeegee on there will simply drag the dirt across the paint, causing very BAD things

Besides, the squegee material itself (rubber, silicone, etc) can marr the paint on its own, even without dirt. It's not soft like MFs...
Old 2/28/12, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ Overboost is correct. After sheeting method, I blow dry, then I blot dry, then I detail spray with several clean plus MF's.

NEVER use squeegee on body.

Because the squeegee does not have naps/fibers to pick up dirt off the surface and embed it deep in the fibers like MF's do. In other words, if a dust spec/particly is on the paint surface after you rinse, pulling a squeegee on there will simply drag the dirt across the paint, causing very BAD things

Besides, the squegee material itself (rubber, silicone, etc) can marr the paint on its own, even without dirt. It's not soft like MFs...
That makes sense - no more squegee on the body for me. FromZto5, I'm only a couple hours from you - maybe you should organize a group detailing session and charge us $100 each
Old 2/29/12, 09:40 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ That would be pretty cool, i would travel wherever to meet up if im free. College eats up time /:
Old 3/2/12, 10:19 AM
I Have No Life

That makes sense - no more squegee on the body for me. FromZto5, I'm only a couple hours from you - maybe you should organize a group detailing session and charge us $100 each
LOL... yeah, I'd do that, but it will have to be a while again. I think I definitely jinxed ALL of us midwesterners. Darn snow outside, 2" - 3" today possible they say. Retarded. I mean come on, it will be 60degs on Tuesday. This is stupid.

Enough already Winter

Btw, some updates for you guys, (I'll post pics and a thread this weekend), I got the Boss coil covers installed this weekend, and also got my tint and clear bra done.... she is ready for the highway!!! thing of it is though, the guy did a great job, but there were some inevitable swirls/marring from wipedowns from getting the film to adhere properly. So needless to say, I have to do some "spot-buffing" this weekend. Probably white pad with polish, then go straight to blacklight with a gray pad, and some pressure to make it work like an all-in-one... then straight to sealant.

Quick Reply: Car Detailing 101