Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Detailing 101

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/12, 05:45 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Thanks bill... I appreciate the kind words. I'm just a regular dude with an insane passion for detailing. Lol

holy cow... I dunno, maybe it's just years of experience, but I can fully wax a car in under 15 mins... And no using tape, and no getting accidental wax or sealant on the trim.... Hmmmmm
You need to move to Louisiana. I'll gladly leave my car with you for a week or so at a time. With a full tank. Just make it shine for me.
Old 7/27/12, 08:22 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You need to move to Louisiana. I'll gladly leave my car with you for a week or so at a time. With a full tank. Just make it shine for me.
Lol.... That sounds like a good deal.
Old 7/31/12, 02:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaGonz
The next time you polish and wax, take a few minutes and tape off all of the trim using either 3M painters tape or the automotive version of it... it saves hours of work.
Posted by Zto5
holy cow... I dunno, maybe it's just years of experience, but I can fully wax a car in under 15 mins... And no using tape, and no getting accidental wax or sealant on the trim.... Hmmmmm
Zto5.. while you and I have perfected our wax application techniques, many owners just slather it on and get it on the trim, etc.

I do tape off moldings and trim when I am doing a full paint cleaning and detailing, mostly as a precaution when polishing with either PC (my polisher of choice 99.99% of the time or the rotary (rarely used).
Old 8/3/12, 07:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Zto5.. while you and I have perfected our wax application techniques, many owners just slather it on and get it on the trim, etc.

I do tape off moldings and trim when I am doing a full paint cleaning and detailing, mostly as a precaution when polishing with either PC (my polisher of choice 99.99% of the time or the rotary (rarely used).
I'd never taken the time to tape off a car before waxing, until the last time I waxed my GT because I got worried about wax on all the black plastic trim. So I did that, but couldn't avoid some bits of tape sticky residue in a few different places - I was using the regular ol' blue painter's tape. Should I use something different next time? Light clay bar work took car of the residue.
Old 8/3/12, 12:41 PM
I Have No Life

You are right gonz... I keep forgetting that this is not the autogeek or autopia forums

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I'd never taken the time to tape off a car before waxing, until the last time I waxed my GT because I got worried about wax on all the black plastic trim. So I did that, but couldn't avoid some bits of tape sticky residue in a few different places - I was using the regular ol' blue painter's tape. Should I use something different next time? Light clay bar work took car of the residue.
You have residue with blue painters? Hmmm that's the reason why we use blue painters, to avoid any residue. I use it all the time when correcting paint. Tape to cover trim, plastic, glass, etc... Even when separating paint sections. What brand you using? Maybe it's old?
Old 8/3/12, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the tape and stick it to your shirt before putting it on the car. It won't be as sticky one you remove it from your shirt but should still work to protect your trim
Old 8/3/12, 09:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
You are right gonz... I keep forgetting that this is not the autogeek or autopia forums

You have residue with blue painters? Hmmm that's the reason why we use blue painters, to avoid any residue. I use it all the time when correcting paint. Tape to cover trim, plastic, glass, etc... Even when separating paint sections. What brand you using? Maybe it's old?
The normal 3M stuff and it wasn't too old - it was mostly at the seams where I was overlapping to go around curves and such. Not sure why it happened.
Old 8/4/12, 10:36 AM

Alright pros. I happen to have a brand new bottle of 3M ultra fine polish. Have you guys used this with a DA polisher? If so what pad and is it worth using. It was a freebie so I won't use it if it's no good.
Old 8/4/12, 10:53 AM
Cobra R Member

How bad are the swirls and defects in the paint and does the bottle say what level scratches it will remove? I'm assuming it's lea aggressive since it says ultra fine.

Since my car is new, I use a fine polish and the least aggressive polishing pad
Old 8/4/12, 10:54 AM
Cobra R Member

The normal 3M stuff and it wasn't too old - it was mostly at the seams where I was overlapping to go around curves and such. Not sure why it happened.
Send that crap to 3M (yes the little quality promise thing) an have them send you a voucher for new tape. That stuff is not cheap. You may get a few rolls for free.
Old 8/4/12, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I would use a green pad or a grey finishing pad on an ultra fine polish.
Old 8/4/12, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
How bad are the swirls and defects in the paint and does the bottle say what level scratches it will remove? I'm assuming it's lea aggressive since it says ultra fine.

Since my car is new, I use a fine polish and the least aggressive polishing pad
Not sure. The bottle says to use with rotary buffer and I'm not going there. If it won't cause any harm with the PC I'll try it.
Old 8/4/12, 08:07 PM
Detailing Guru

Alright pros. I happen to have a brand new bottle of 3M ultra fine polish. Have you guys used this with a DA polisher? If so what pad and is it worth using. It was a freebie so I won't use it if it's no good.
Use it and love it myself on a DA. Blue pad on ultrasoft clear's, otherwise black will probably do fine.
Old 8/4/12, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by MarcHarris

Use it and love it myself on a DA. Blue pad on ultrasoft clear's, otherwise black will probably do fine.
Thanks Marc. I believe I have a white, orange, and grey pad right now. Which one would you use of these?
Old 8/5/12, 08:57 PM
I Have No Life

Not sure. The bottle says to use with rotary buffer and I'm not going there. If it won't cause any harm with the PC I'll try it.
Thanks Marc. I believe I have a white, orange, and grey pad right now. Which one would you use of these?
Al, if the polish is a fine or ultra fine polish, I would use a soft foam pad. From your selection, looks like gray. However, note that fine polishes and soft pad are to be used for jeweling, in other words, once defects have been removed. Essentially for this stage, you are restoring the luster back in it after correcting/compounding.

At times, you can mix and match a compound with a soft foam pad or a fine polish with a coarse pad... Just depends on type of polish, hardness of clear coat, etc.
Old 8/6/12, 08:17 AM
Detailing Guru

Al, if the polish is a fine or ultra fine polish, I would use a soft foam pad. From your selection, looks like gray. However, note that fine polishes and soft pad are to be used for jeweling, in other words, once defects have been removed. Essentially for this stage, you are restoring the luster back in it after correcting/compounding.

At times, you can mix and match a compound with a soft foam pad or a fine polish with a coarse pad... Just depends on type of polish, hardness of clear coat, etc.
Bingo!
In the end you'll just have to try some things. I know people don't like hearing how they'll have to do any type of experimenting on their car, but when you do it in a safe an sensible manner; you're fine.

Imagine you get a brand new lawn mower and need to figure out what height to set the blades. You certainly wouldn't like the idea of having it too low and scalping your lawn, so you set it high (least aggressive) and begin to lower it from there.

Use that same mentality on your car and you'll not only treat her well and keep her from damage, but you'll learn a bit about her finish, the products/pads you have and how you can achieve the desired result along the way.
Old 8/6/12, 11:43 AM
I Have No Life

Bingo!
In the end you'll just have to try some things. I know people don't like hearing how they'll have to do any type of experimenting on their car, but when you do it in a safe an sensible manner; you're fine.

Imagine you get a brand new lawn mower and need to figure out what height to set the blades. You certainly wouldn't like the idea of having it too low and scalping your lawn, so you set it high (least aggressive) and begin to lower it from there.

Use that same mentality on your car and you'll not only treat her well and keep her from damage, but you'll learn a bit about her finish, the products/pads you have and how you can achieve the desired result along the way.
Marc... that is a very good metaphor. I like it. I wonder if I could use that same analogy with my son's haircuts? (he's 3). Start with the least cut electric razor, see how he likes it, then go down from there? hehe... sorry, parent mode kicking in.

hehe.

Marc, for the record, if we lived in the same town, you and I should have been partners opening our own detailing shop. I love being an engineer/mgr, but my passion is detailing If only it paid as good
Old 8/6/12, 05:45 PM
Detailing Guru

Marc... that is a very good metaphor. I like it. I wonder if I could use that same analogy with my son's haircuts? (he's 3). Start with the least cut electric razor, see how he likes it, then go down from there? hehe... sorry, parent mode kicking in.

hehe.

Marc, for the record, if we lived in the same town, you and I should have been partners opening our own detailing shop. I love being an engineer/mgr, but my passion is detailing If only it paid as good
It's too bad - I would have loved the opportunity
Old 8/7/12, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

It's too bad - I would have loved the opportunity
If you ever decide to franchise out, I'll run your Indianapolis shop!
Old 5/20/13, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are either of these any good?

Name:  ForumRunner_20130520_191228.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  20.3 KB

Quick Reply: Car Detailing 101