Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/13, 09:06 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Cover

Anyone use a car cover, if so what brand...any issues using them?
My '14 stays parked during the week in the driveway and I drive my work car.
Old 12/19/13, 04:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rcliff1
I went with Covercraft b/c they offered FoMoCo graphics from the right sellers but if you don't care about that just make sure you get a custom (non-universal) outdoor cover for the right conditions. There are light covers for sun or rain and heavier covers for snow, hail, etc. You'll want tie downs for windy days and maybe a cable lock so it won't get stolen. Oh and you don't want to use it on a dirty car if you can help it, so they have their pros and cons.
Old 12/19/13, 07:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i was told by a friend who is detailer not put car covers, they cause more damage to paint than not having them... not sure if it is true.
Old 12/19/13, 08:23 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rcliff1
In case you decide to get one, here are some choices, rcliff1.

Deysha
Old 12/20/13, 04:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
i was told by a friend who is detailer not put car covers, they cause more damage to paint than not having them... not sure if it is true.
True if the cover doesn't fit well, you put it on a dirty car and/or if you use it in windy conditions without tying it down. You don't want to trap dirt in between the cover and you car if you can help it and you don't want the cover moving at all. That's why you want a custom fit in material that's heavy enough that it won't blow around, with tie downs for windy days. Covercraft's Evolution/BlockIt series is heavy enough that I only needed tie downs for hurricane weather and its supposed to protect against light hail. Car covers keep your windows from getting frosted up over night too.
Old 12/20/13, 07:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ thanks... it makes me feel better on going for car covers.
Old 1/21/14, 04:47 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have used covercraft brand with success. never damaged the paint on my old Corvette or my new Mustang. The problem I did have was local cats loved the cover and tore it up pretty badly. Right now my cover is more duct tape than cover but I'm using it to protect the Stang from this snow we are getting in NJ. Oh also you do need to tie them down in strong winds. most have at least one set of loops near the middle of the car. Most general covers also do not have opening for the antenna. You will have to make the hole yourself and reinforce that area with some sort of duct tape.

I should add i do have a $400.00 cover that I bought for the vette. has the mirror pockets and logo. Never used it because of fear that the cats would rip it up.
Old 1/26/14, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter
I'm in agreement with CiniZter's friend, unless you absolutely need the cover for a car sitting outside, in which case swirl marks and light marring is an easy trade to make over water spots, bird poop etching, etc. As stated above, always make sure to wash the car right before putting on the cover to try and minimize any damage. Keep in mind though, on anything but the hardest of paints, light swirl marks and marring is almost inevitable when applying a car cover multiple times. Reason being, when pulling the cover on, normally you're doing it by yourself. This leads to dragging of the cover edges on the paint, so even if the inside material is the softest and of the highest quality, you're running a risk of some light damage.

In short, if you're storing the car inside and are worried about just some dust, I would stay away from the cover because even a thick layer of dust will just easily rinse off. If however the car needs to sit outside in the elements, whether it's snow or sun, it's probably a good idea to protect it and deal with any minor swirls, etc. that may result.

Ivan @ DI
Old 1/27/14, 03:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

FYI: You can fold or unfold a good car cover on car without issue unless it's windy, in which case, a second set of hands and tie-downs are necessary.