Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Buffer

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/12, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since everyone else is by far more experienced at detailing, I thought I'd ask. I'm asking what the best buffer for a home user is? I have several injuries from previous stuff and when I try to detail, I'm usually down the next day due to pain. I have a cheap orbital buffer from the local auto store, but I ended up wiping the entire care anyway cause it just didn't see, to do the job. If I could get a good buffer, it may make the job a lot easier.

Also, I inadvertently got minor wax on some of the trim, what's the best way to get that off as it's now grayed some of my trim?
Old 8/23/12, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many detailers far more experienced and skilled than myself on this site. Hopefully they'll chime in too.

As for myself I recently purchased the Porter Cable 7424xp. Polished and waxed the car with it once so far. Works as expected. Nice speed selector.
I've seen pencil erasers used to get old wax off of plastic trim in the past.

Good luck.
Old 8/24/12, 11:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I can't help ya as far as the buffer goes. But for getting the old wax off of plastic trim, I've used Meguiar's interior quick detailer...I think that's the one I used. There's plenty of products for use on plastic. I'm sure any of them would work just fine for getting the wax off.
Old 8/24/12, 11:18 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
take extra care while buffing is all I can say. I have seen alot of guys just kump in and burn clear or take paint off edges.
Old 8/24/12, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Snowman

As for myself I recently purchased the Porter Cable 7424xp. Polished and waxed the car with it once so far. Works as expected. Nice speed selector.
I've seen pencil erasers used to get old wax off of plastic trim in the past.

Good luck.
Thanks for your advice. I saw an add about the 7424 but hadn't seen too many reviews about. I'll definitely try the pencil eraser! Thanks again.
Old 8/24/12, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I can't help ya as far as the buffer goes. But for getting the old wax off of plastic trim, I've used Meguiar's interior quick detailer...I think that's the one I used. There's plenty of products for use on plastic. I'm sure any of them would work just fine for getting the wax off.
I think I may have some of that but didn't know it would clean the wax off the trim. Thanks, I'll try that!
Old 8/24/12, 03:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mburnette
I think I may have some of that but didn't know it would clean the wax off the trim. Thanks, I'll try that!
Depending on how long it's been on there, you might have to do some scrubbing. I'd think erasers would work too (although I've never done it). They might leave eraser marks, so a plastic detailer would still be handy to have.
Old 8/24/12, 09:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Snowman

My husband bought that too! I used it on my vert and it works great! My husband used to detail cars, tried to start his own business but he got sick and it didn't work out as planned.
Old 8/25/12, 01:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NaomiDstangLvr
My husband bought that too! I used it on my vert and it works great! My husband used to detail cars, tried to start his own business but he got sick and it didn't work out as planned.
It's a nice dual-action orbital.

I hope your husband is doing better health-wise. Best wishes.
Old 8/25/12, 04:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since everyone else is by far more experienced at detailing, I thought I'd ask. I'm asking what the best buffer for a home user is? I have several injuries from previous stuff and when I try to detail, I'm usually down the next day due to pain. I have a cheap orbital buffer from the local auto store, but I ended up wiping the entire care anyway cause it just didn't see, to do the job. If I could get a good buffer, it may make the job a lot easier.

Also, I inadvertently got minor wax on some of the trim, what's the best way to get that off as it's now grayed some of my trim?
The buffer you want is the Porter Cable 7424xp, then go to a website like Autogeek and order pads for cutting, polishing and finishing.

Isopropyl alcohol will remove wax on the trim. Dip an old toothbrsuh it it and gently scrub, then wipe dry with an older microfiber towel.

The next time you polish and wax the car, tape off the trim with 3M painters tape beforehand. It keeps the polish and wax off the trim and makes cleanup a lot easier.
Old 8/25/12, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz

The buffer you want is the Porter Cable 7424xp, then go to a website like Autogeek and order pads for cutting, polishing and finishing.

Isopropyl alcohol will remove wax on the trim. Dip an old toothbrsuh it it and gently scrub, then wipe dry with an older microfiber towel.

The next time you polish and wax the car, tape off the trim with 3M painters tape beforehand. It keeps the polish and wax off the trim and makes cleanup a lot easier.
Awesome DeGonz, great response. With the few write-ups all mentioning the 7424, that's obviously the way to go. Great tip to remove the old wax on the trim too.

I'm currently using the McGuires Ultimate which seems to do a sufficient job. I didn't detect any swirls or streaks with it after a thorough wipe down. Of course the trim mistakes showed up after being in the sun.
Old 8/25/12, 12:27 PM
GTR Member

I currently have a 7424xp, but I've also heard very good things about the Griot's DA polisher. Seems to be more popular with pro detailers than the 7424, and it costs a bit less.
Old 8/25/12, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Overboost! Just looked that one up and you're right - it actually has a stronger motor and weighs les than the 7424. They have several kits for the DA on autogeek ( http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garag...sher-club.html ) which includes a 3 1/2" buffer for small areas! Might seriously look at that one or one of the other kits.
Old 8/25/12, 02:36 PM

Those Magic Erasers work real well for getting wax/polish off the textured trim. Walmart's version are a couple of bucks a box.
Old 8/25/12, 02:40 PM
GTR Member

Thanks Overboost! Just looked that one up and you're right - it actually has a stronger motor and weighs les than the 7424. They have several kits for the DA on autogeek ( http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garag...sher-club.html ) which includes a 3 1/2" buffer for small areas! Might seriously look at that one or one of the other kits.
Not a bad kit, but it doesn't give you many pads for the 6" buffer.
Old 8/25/12, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I think only two of each, but they have other bundles for them alone.
Old 8/25/12, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought a similar pad kit. They also have a bundle that includes pad cleaner, pad conditioner, and a brush that I bought.