General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

YouTube mustangs crashing cause me fear

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/22, 03:39 PM
BHF

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
YouTube mustangs crashing cause me fear

I was afraid and still have some appreciation about driving my mustang. This is the first one I’ve owned with any horsepower. I owned an 86 v6 and a 90 5.0. Both didn’t go. When I started looking for a mustang recently I of course went to YouTube. There I was assailed with video after video of mustangs crashing. You seemingly just step on the gas and the car leaps for the ditch or curb or other things for no apparent reason. I researched more and it seems the traction/stability nanny controls are a major factor. Car goes sideways, nanny gets confused, applies the wrong brake, car crashes. So I found my 2012 and even when I test drove it I kicked the back end out accidentally doing a u turn. Backed off the gas and she instantly straightened out and we didn’t end up in the ditch.

Later I learned how to turn traction control off, but read that it could turn itself back on. I’ve since taken her to the car wash and with TC off and the tires wet she is like driving on ice. Still no ditch.

A few track days and with TC both on and off I’m starting to think maybe she isn’t so scary. Last time out we had TC off and I deliberately tried to break the back end loose on the 180 degree left hander. Brake coming in, drop into second, unleash all of her 444 horses and the rear breaks loose in a very controllable drift. No looping. No ditch. No problems. Did it several times.

Now I’m not a world class driver. I’m just average. I’m not the fastest guy out there either. I’ve been off the track once when I didn’t drive well and got the tires hot and over pressure. We just slid off. Slowed down. Dropped a gear and drove out of the gravel. I’ve slid her around when I wasn’t being smooth and my heavy handedness unsettled her suspension. Four wheel drift. Just went wide in the corner, gathered her in and motored on. No muss, no fuss, no ditch.

So the only conclusion I can come to is my girl likes me and wants to take care of me and that maybe the YouTube people are not backing off the gas, have much more hp than me, and are just letting the car get to out of control and then it’s to late.
Or is the ditch gremlin still waiting for me but
I’m just driving to slow for it to ever appear?

The following users liked this post:
Glenn (6/16/22)
Old 6/16/22, 04:56 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,763 Posts
The majority of those You Tubers crashing their Mustangs are teenagers who are inexperienced drivers that have no knowledge when it comes to high-performance/rear wheel drive vehicles..
They assume rear wheel drive cars can handle just as well as front wheel drive cars until they realize its too late after losing control and crashing them.. They also don't realize Mustangs also have very high torque and need to take into consideration they can't just expect their going to be able to maintain control of these cars when applying full throttle immediately from a dead stop..
If they just release the clutch gradually while also applying the throttle gradually when beginning from a dead stop, chances are they would never end up losing control and crashing their cars, to begin with..

That being said, it's not the Mustangs that are at fault for the You Tube crashes, but rather its from inexperienced drivers who also lack common sense that are actually at fault!!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/16/22 at 05:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
Bert (6/17/22), NC14GT (6/17/22)
Old 6/17/22, 05:39 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
^^^ YES, it's EVERY performance car crashing. Challengers, Camaros, Corvettes, The list goes on and YouTube has them all.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
Bert (6/17/22), m05fastbackGT (6/17/22)
Old 6/17/22, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
it's pretty simple really: don't drive like an idiot, and you'll be fine!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
m05fastbackGT (6/17/22), NC14GT (6/18/22)
Old 6/17/22, 01:49 PM
BHF

Smooth

This has been a learning experience for me. I came from the motorcycle world so I understand the line but was unaccustomed to four wheels and 4000 pounds. I found it a bit intimidating. Took me a few track days to settle into a rhythm and get comfortable. At first I was pretty heavy handed and not very smooth. Smooth is the key to fast. But always in the back of my head is when is this going to bite me.
Old 6/17/22, 03:58 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
The guys on youtube are either young and inexperienced, or old guys who never go above 3k RPM. Both groups of people have no idea what to do with a car after it breaks traction, besides hold on.

I came from '80s and '90s long bed pickup trucks. You want to talk about something that inspires confidence while sliding, take an old F150 long bed out in the rain. Just a light throttle kick will break the rear end loose, but because the wheelbase is so long, it's really easy to just hang it out there. I always had a ball in the rain with those things. When I bought my '97 GT auto earlier this year, I did the same thing. First rain storm, make a turn, just a light throttle kick, and I'll be damned if that thing didn't almost whip around on me in record time. I almost looked like one of those youtube people with how out of shape it got so quickly. Fast forward 2 months, I've now bought my '12 GT manual. Same turn, in the rain, traction control off, slight throttle kick in 2nd gear, and it didn't even break loose. At this point, I am actively trying to find how much throttle I need to break the thing loose at low speeds, without being a complete idiot.

I'm sure it has to do with my motorcycle experience. I'd hammer the crap out of the 300cc throttle, and I'm really ginger on the 1000cc. Just like I'd hit the throttle harder in the 215hp '97GT than I do in the 412hp '12GT. Still pushing my personal limits higher, while trying not to go too far too fast!
Old 6/17/22, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
^^^ YES, it's EVERY performance car crashing. Challengers, Camaros, Corvettes, The list goes on and YouTube has them all.
Exactly 100% spot on

Originally Posted by Bert
it's pretty simple really: don't drive like an idiot, and you'll be fine!
You sure got that right!

Originally Posted by BHF
This has been a learning experience for me. I came from the motorcycle world so I understand the line but was unaccustomed to four wheels and 4000 pounds. I found it a bit intimidating. Took me a few track days to settle into a rhythm and get comfortable. At first I was pretty heavy handed and not very smooth. Smooth is the key to fast. But always in the back of my head is when is this going to bite me.
If the advice provided above is taken seriously, you should have no fears nor concerns in getting bitten whatsoever!
Old 6/17/22, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
The guys on youtube are either young and inexperienced, or old guys who never go above 3k RPM. Both groups of people have no idea what to do with a car after it breaks traction, besides hold on.

I came from '80s and '90s long bed pickup trucks. You want to talk about something that inspires confidence while sliding, take an old F150 long bed out in the rain. Just a light throttle kick will break the rear end loose, but because the wheelbase is so long, it's really easy to just hang it out there. I always had a ball in the rain with those things. When I bought my '97 GT auto earlier this year, I did the same thing. First rain storm, make a turn, just a light throttle kick, and I'll be damned if that thing didn't almost whip around on me in record time. I almost looked like one of those youtube people with how out of shape it got so quickly. Fast forward 2 months, I've now bought my '12 GT manual. Same turn, in the rain, traction control off, slight throttle kick in 2nd gear, and it didn't even break loose. At this point, I am actively trying to find how much throttle I need to break the thing loose at low speeds, without being a complete idiot.

I'm sure it has to do with my motorcycle experience. I'd hammer the crap out of the 300cc throttle, and I'm really ginger on the 1000cc. Just like I'd hit the throttle harder in the 215hp '97GT than I do in the 412hp '12GT. Still pushing my personal limits higher, while trying not to go too far too fast!
Well FYI: I just happen to be one of those old guys who rarely go above 3k RPM when driving on public streets and highways.. These are just some of the reasons my Mustang never breaks traction.. I also have over 45 years of rear wheel drive experience to back it up, knowing full well that if in the event the rear end breaks loose, you use that experience with good old common sense by first easing off the brake or accelerator to help the wheels regain traction along with steering in the direction you intend the vehicle to go, by doing so in a steady manner until the vehicle is safely back in alignment with the road..

Therefore, I take very strong offense by your opinion which you clearly stated also applies to old guys who never go above 3k RPM in the same category as the young and inexperienced drivers who have no idea what to do with a car after it breaks traction, other than just hold on.. That being said, this old guy disputes your outrageous claim by stating that I've always known how to operate a rear wheel drive, performance vehicle in both a safe and responsible manner..

Enough said

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/17/22 at 09:57 PM.
Old 6/18/22, 05:21 AM
BHF

Old too

I’m old, but I don’t take offense to much of anything. There are good and bad drivers in every category. I also used to drive full size pickups and would take my 2wd F150 out in the snow and drift it around. Counter steering and throttle control do become instinctive and automatic with enough practice. I also think rwd is better than fwd for getting out of trouble. With fwd when you lose traction it’s pretty much going straight in whatever direction it’s going. Rwd you can still steer with the throttle.

Trying to paste a link below for my track video.

NC14GT (6/18/22)
Old 6/18/22, 06:47 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
^^^ I enjoyed watching most of it. That track time is a wonderful opportunity to get you the proper feel of the car. You already have more experience under your belt than 99% of the general public. You have 'no worries'. Been there, done that for over 25 years on all types of courses.

Enjoy your ride!!
Old 6/18/22, 11:23 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Don’t let videos of idiots scare you away from a Mustang. Just don’t drive like an idiot and you’ll be fine. I’d also bet that those idiots on video turned off the nannies because “they know how to drive better than that damned computer”. They showed they not only need the nannies, but a warning label on their cars announcing their presence to unsuspecting drivers and perdestrians.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpectreH:
m05fastbackGT (6/18/22), NC14GT (6/18/22)
Old 6/18/22, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by BHF
I’m old, but I don’t take offense to much of anything. There are good and bad drivers in every category. I also used to drive full size pickups and would take my 2wd F150 out in the snow and drift it around. Counter steering and throttle control do become instinctive and automatic with enough practice. I also think rwd is better than fwd for getting out of trouble. With fwd when you lose traction it’s pretty much going straight in whatever direction it’s going. Rwd you can still steer with the throttle.

https://youtu.be/Nq4cVmvZ26g
Well when somebody posts a comment such as
I do take offense, as the person in question has nothing to back up his outrageous claim by placing experienced/older drivers in the same category as those young and inexperienced drivers on YouTube who crash their Mustangs due to lack of common sense and irresponsibility.. Has the person in question ever seen YouTube videos of old guys who never go above 3k RPM crash their Mustangs who have no idea what to do with a car in the event it breaks traction? Well I sure in the heck haven't come across any, that's for sure..

Every YouTube video I've ever seen are always with young and inexperienced drivers at car meet events attempting to show off for the spectators who end up crashing Mustangs due to their stupidity and irresponsibility.. Therefore, not only do I consider remarks, such as being placed in the same category as inexperienced/young drivers on YouTube who end up crashing their Mustangs as offensive, but I also consider them as being disrespectful as well..

Obviously the person in question isn't aware of the fact, the majority of those of us who are older/experienced drivers value safety and responsibility very strongly, compared to those on YouTube who obviously do not!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/18/22 at 09:18 PM.
Old 6/19/22, 06:52 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,714 Posts
I can't afford new tires let alone additional body work... What's wrong with revving them out a little when leaving a show/event instead of a full blown burnout?
m05fastbackGT (6/19/22)
Old 6/19/22, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
The road track is definitely a much better place to learn all this and push the limits. And pushing the limits means you probably will exceed them once in a while; with is hopefully OK on a road track but usually not good on the street. Also on the road track you have the benefit of an instructor who can help you learn the limits, and how to react when approaching the limit. It probably won't be long before you will want all the nannies turned off on the track, because sometimes they fight the driver.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
m05fastbackGT (6/19/22), NC14GT (6/19/22)
Old 6/19/22, 10:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Most crashed because they let off the gas pedal. Ha
Old 6/19/22, 11:01 AM
BHF

Limits

I have a good idea now where the limits are. But what I was inferring in my original post was that the YouTube videos made me think the limit would appear suddenly and without warning. I was very apprehensive about encountering a sudden and violent loss of control. I have since tossed the car around, slid all four wheels, kicked the back end out repeatedly and managed to stay in control. I’m not dealing with ultra high speed here but some of my slides have been in the 40 mph range. I slid off the track in the 45-50 ish range. I’ve been heavy handed on the downshifts a few times and totally unsettled the suspension and induced a bit of a slide in the 60-70 mph range but it never went out of control. As long as I stay within my limits and am not trying to corner at 100+ I’m becoming more confident that the YouTube ditch gremlins can be held at bay.
The following 2 users liked this post by BHF:
Bert (6/20/22), NC14GT (6/20/22)
Old 6/19/22, 11:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
These cars are pretty stable with the right rubber on them. Just don't act the fool and the car won't let you embarrass yourself.
Actual numbers from mine

Just learn your limits and try not to exceed them. You do not always have to be first, in fact running second or third allows you to look at different lines to try and make yourself better.
m05fastbackGT (6/19/22)
Old 6/19/22, 04:01 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,714 Posts
Originally Posted by Siber Express
These cars are pretty stable with the right rubber on them. Just don't act the fool and the car won't let you embarrass yourself.
Actual numbers from mine

Just learn your limits and try not to exceed them. You do not always have to be first, in fact running second or third allows you to look at different lines to try and make yourself better.
Always good to have a rabbit.
Old 6/20/22, 07:11 AM
Service Manager

Received 450 Likes on 222 Posts

Not exactly true....In fact I'd bet money there are a lot of "old guys" who may not show out on the street but could run circles around you. There is an "old guy" locally we call Mr. Ed...that man will tree the life out of anyone at a dragstrip, driving around you'd never guess it and EVERYONE who I've seen line up against him at the track has not only had their butt handed to them on reaction time, they have walked around afterward with their mouth hanging open saying "what the hell just happened?!?". As far as road course and performance driving...keep underestimating the "old guys"...more of those guys than you probably realize could teach you quite a few things. Depending on how you classify "old guy"...I might even be an "old guy" to you....and I've got decades of racing experience, still race and love it when someone just assumes the "old guys" are easy picking...LMAO.

I think a more accurate phrase would be "The ability to finance or buy does not necessarily equal the ability to drive". I've seen young drivers who are good and bad, old are mostly good or fair...experience is a heavy factor out there. Knowing when to do and when not to is the key.

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well FYI: I just happen to be one of those old guys who rarely go above 3k RPM when driving on public streets and highways.. These are just some of the reasons my Mustang never breaks traction.. I also have over 45 years of rear wheel drive experience to back it up, knowing full well that if in the event the rear end breaks loose, you use that experience with good old common sense by first easing off the brake or accelerator to help the wheels regain traction along with steering in the direction you intend the vehicle to go, by doing so in a steady manner until the vehicle is safely back in alignment with the road..

Therefore, I take very strong offense by your opinion which you clearly stated also applies to old guys who never go above 3k RPM in the same category as the young and inexperienced drivers who have no idea what to do with a car after it breaks traction, other than just hold on.. That being said, this old guy disputes your outrageous claim by stating that I've always known how to operate a rear wheel drive, performance vehicle in both a safe and responsible manner..

Enough said
Like I said above, I may be one of those "old guys" in his mind....I'll drive normally day to day.....experience teaches you when you can and when you can't. I got my fair share(or more) of tickets when I was young and not experienced enough to know where to let it hang out and when not to. I'm no different now then back then except I know when it's OK to play and not. Don't take offense, the statement just shows how inexperienced he actually is....because with experience comes wisdom and knowledge as well as talent and if he had the experience then he would have come across many of the "old guys" who could show him a thing or three.

Originally Posted by BHF

https://youtu.be/Nq4cVmvZ26g
When I was 16 we used to take our cars to the Naval Academy Stadium parking lot when it snowed and throw them around....this is one reason I really don't consider drifting a sport, it's what we did to learn how to handle our cars...lol. And EVERY car is very different....I wear a fox body like an old pair of shoes and I can throw one around a race track like nobody's business...which is why I chose a fox for our 24 hours of Lemons race car, The newer cars with the throttle by wire and remote mounted shifter are vastly different and there is a delay between driver and machine. My S550 is much wider than a fox so it takes getting used to and I drove a friends McLaren 720S around a course this weekend and it's even wider which caused me to misjudge and take a couple of cones out....lol. The basics carry over to every car but there is still a learning curve with each new car you play with. The biggest problem these days is people jump in a car with little or no experience and then wonder why it went south for them.

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Don’t let videos of idiots scare you away from a Mustang. Just don’t drive like an idiot and you’ll be fine. I’d also bet that those idiots on video turned off the nannies because “they know how to drive better than that damned computer”. They showed they not only need the nannies, but a warning label on their cars announcing their presence to unsuspecting drivers and perdestrians.
We had this discussion this weekend, nobody is smarter than the computers. We were teaching a teen driving clinic with the SCCA and had an exercise where we forced them to activate the ABS during a braking maneuver to educate them on how it works.

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well when somebody posts a comment such as

I do take offense, as the person in question has nothing to back up his outrageous claim by placing experienced/older drivers in the same category as those young and inexperienced drivers on YouTube who crash their Mustangs due to lack of common sense and irresponsibility.. Has the person in question ever seen YouTube videos of old guys who never go above 3k RPM crash their Mustangs who have no idea what to do with a car in the event it breaks traction? Well I sure in the heck haven't come across any, that's for sure..

Every YouTube video I've ever seen are always with young and inexperienced drivers at car meet events attempting to show off for the spectators who end up crashing Mustangs due to their stupidity and irresponsibility.. Therefore, not only do I consider remarks, such as being placed in the same category as inexperienced/young drivers on YouTube who end up crashing their Mustangs as offensive, but I also consider them as being disrespectful as well..

Obviously the person in question isn't aware of the fact, the majority of those of us who are older/experienced drivers value safety and responsibility very strongly, compared to those on YouTube who obviously do not!
You can't let it get to you, ignorant statements like that just show a lack of experience. I agree though....just about Every video you see of "that guy" is a younger inexperienced driver who lost it because they had no idea what to do when the car started to get away from them. Just consider the source when you see statements like that.

Originally Posted by Bert
The road track is definitely a much better place to learn all this and push the limits. And pushing the limits means you probably will exceed them once in a while; with is hopefully OK on a road track but usually not good on the street. Also on the road track you have the benefit of an instructor who can help you learn the limits, and how to react when approaching the limit. It probably won't be long before you will want all the nannies turned off on the track, because sometimes they fight the driver.
Very true and the track with an experience drive is really the only time you want to turn off the nannies....but there are times when you make the decision not to depending on track conditions....but that comes with experience as well. Most people have never had the benefit of an instructor or experience drive teach them the basics or more and it shows. We do a Teen driving clinic here in AL with the SCCA, class is limited to 12 students and it's amazing to see what a difference a one day course makes in their ability, confidence and awareness. Every new driver should take a course like that.

Originally Posted by BHF
I have a good idea now where the limits are. But what I was inferring in my original post was that the YouTube videos made me think the limit would appear suddenly and without warning. I was very apprehensive about encountering a sudden and violent loss of control. I have since tossed the car around, slid all four wheels, kicked the back end out repeatedly and managed to stay in control. I’m not dealing with ultra high speed here but some of my slides have been in the 40 mph range. I slid off the track in the 45-50 ish range. I’ve been heavy handed on the downshifts a few times and totally unsettled the suspension and induced a bit of a slide in the 60-70 mph range but it never went out of control. As long as I stay within my limits and am not trying to corner at 100+ I’m becoming more confident that the YouTube ditch gremlins can be held at bay.
Depending on the car the limits can seem to come out of nowhere...this is more pronounced in cars with throttle by wire because you mash the pedal and just as your brain thinks nothing is happening, BAM it hits. Experience is key, you just have to learn the car....become one with the car so to speak. There is no such thing as too much experience or seat time.
The following 3 users liked this post by svopaul:
Bert (6/20/22), m05fastbackGT (6/20/22), NC14GT (6/20/22)
Old 6/20/22, 01:07 PM

Thank you very much for clearing the air Paul, and you're absolutely 100% spot on