General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Will these gas prices kill the Stang again???

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/08, 09:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
You are probably right Walt. We did do it back than and we will most likely suck it up and do what we have to now.. But what will the future offerings of the big 3 turn into in the next few months or years? I look to see cars already on the drawing boards and ready for production soon to get scraped. I won't mention brands at this time!!!
Scott

Scott;
I gave it some more thought. The average guy will deal with it, but I'm not so sure how commercial transportation will. There's smaller trucking firms closing left and right. When you think about it, everything is transported. So everything will go up in price to pay for the cost of transport. If this situation isn't addressed properly, the results could be economically devastating.

Last week, the local paper revisited the gas riots of '79. They were about 12 miles away from my home at the time. It made me wonder if rioting could happen again.
Old 6/4/08, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Poco
We changed our habits as well.We stop at the store on the way home get what we need and stay home.We only drive our GT on the weekends and park our main cars for the weekend.Trying to find things to do at home like gardening and watching more movies are getting to be the routine now.We hardly eat out any more,maybe once every two weeks.My Stang is averaging 28-29mpg on the hiway and it is our econo car.My 06'Freestyle LTD and the wifes 04' Tuarus are getting around 25MPG hiway.I only drive posted speed limits in the GT and have slowed way down.I'm not giving up my GT though,just old driving habits.

As much as I hate to admit to it I have changed my driving style some in the part few weeks. Not as many WOT romps just for fun, I accelerate slower now and drive a little smoother. Maybe coast a little longer coming up to a light or stop sign. Little things like that. I will never sell my stang mainly because it get better mileage than most of my other vehicles.
But it may not happen next year or even the next but it wouldn't surprise be to see the V8 dropped and a high tech V6 being put in the GT by 2010/2011.
Old 6/11/08, 01:58 PM
Cobra Member

"Kill the Stang AGAIN" ??? What year was the Ford Mustang NOT produced since 1964? It has been in continuous production for the past 44 years.
Old 6/11/08, 03:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
"Kill the Stang AGAIN" ??? What year was the Ford Mustang NOT produced since 1964? It has been in continuous production for the past 44 years.
+1. But I do count the Mustang II as a "near death experience".
Old 6/11/08, 03:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Originally Posted by WaltM

I hear you guys. But if you look back at my original post I said the wife and I owned a 1974 Mustang II. If you have never driven one with it's 100 hp rating at like 3500 rpm than you wouldn't understand. And Vermilliono6 you where still poopin in your pants back than. :-)
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 6/11/08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 6/11/08, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
Old 6/11/08, 04:15 PM
Cobra R Member

I hear you guys. But if you look back at my original post I said the wife and I owned a 1974 Mustang II. If you have never driven one with it's 100 hp rating at like 3500 rpm than you wouldn't understand. And Vermilliono6 you where still poopin in your pants back than. :-)
Scott
I remember them well. They were glorified Pintos with many trim levels (from Ghia to Mach1 and the Cobra II).

I tried to like them and their metric nuts and bolts, but they just didn't do it for me. Thank god Ford created the Fox chassis and the spirit returned. IMO, the best Mustangs were all made before 1974; the next best permutation of the breed is the S197.
Old 6/11/08, 04:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Scott
Yeah, my best friend had a '74 with the "big" engine. We took it out on the highway and he floored it for several miles. Going down one really long, very steep hill we actually got the speedo to read 90mph. I don't think we were really doing more than 83. By comparison, my '74 Valiant 318 could do 90 in 2nd gear (auto).
Old 6/11/08, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by karman
Yeah, my best friend had a '74 with the "big" engine. We took it out on the highway and he floored it for several miles. Going down one really long, very steep hill we actually got the speedo to read 90mph. I don't think we were really doing more than 83. By comparison, my '74 Valiant 318 could do 90 in 2nd gear (auto).
I hate to admit I remember them days all to well Karman!! Going from 428's and 429's to a 2.3 4 banger in one year was to say the least a real let down. :-(

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 6/11/08 at 05:09 PM.
Old 6/11/08, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh yeah I also remember $.25/ gal gas you guys. Lordy we are getting old. How much HP will a hydrogen fueled car support? That is where I think our cars will be running on in 10 years or so.
Scott
I don't think so...the infrastructure will be too expensive! Hydrogen will probably be phased in 15-20 years. I think we will see a lot of parallel hybrids in the next 5 years, then we will see series hybrids (Chevy Volt) start showing up in average households as Lithium battery technology matures and becomes more affordable. Expect Chevy Volts to cost $45,000+ when they first come out.

Expect cars with 75whp/250wtq wheel motors (AWD) 10 or 15 years from now! Imagine with the right software you have AWD/Traction Control/Stability Control/Regen Braking on every car/truck with a 10 min charge Lion battery and a gas, E100 or diesel genset that will get you 600+ mile range. Then you plug in for a 10 minute charge or fill up the 5 gallon fuel tank.

Eventually cars may be battery only that are charged from solar cells on your house and if the power goes off you can run the house on they battery pack in your car. Of course Fuel cells will eventually mature and become affordable and the infrastructure will be such that everyone can have a fuel cell vehicle. Then all those series hybrids can be outfitted with fuel cells in place of their Internal Combustion Genset.
Old 6/11/08, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tacbear
I don't think so...the infrastructure will be too expensive! Hydrogen will probably be phased in 15-20 years. I think we will see a lot of parallel hybrids in the next 5 years, then we will see series hybrids (Chevy Volt) start showing up in average households as Lithium battery technology matures and becomes more affordable. Expect Chevy Volts to cost $45,000+ when they first come out.

Expect cars with 75whp/250wtq wheel motors (AWD) 10 or 15 years from now! Imagine with the right software you have AWD/Traction Control/Stability Control/Regen Braking on every car/truck with a 10 min charge Lion battery and a gas, E100 or diesel genset that will get you 600+ mile range. Then you plug in for a 10 minute charge or fill up the 5 gallon fuel tank.

Eventually cars may be battery only that are charged from solar cells on your house and if the power goes off you can run the house on they battery pack in your car. Of course Fuel cells will eventually mature and become affordable and the infrastructure will be such that everyone can have a fuel cell vehicle. Then all those series hybrids can be outfitted with fuel cells in place of their Internal Combustion Genset.

You are most likely correct. My timeline is reallistically to fast. But that is where I thinks we are for sure heading.
Old 6/11/08, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Angry

Originally Posted by tacbear

None of that will happen unless reforms are instituted to minimize or eliminate the influence that large corporations have on governmental policy, research funding, etc. Big oil aint going down without a fight, and it won't be easy to beat them as long as they control the referee.
Old 6/19/08, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rash
None of that will happen unless reforms are instituted to minimize or eliminate the influence that large corporations have on governmental policy, research funding, etc. Big oil aint going down without a fight, and it won't be easy to beat them as long as they control the referee.

If "Big Oil" is smart they will diversify and get on board the Lion Battery, Electric Motor, Fuel Cell Band Wagon!!
Old 6/22/08, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

As to the original question of this thread, I'm of the opinion that gas prices continuing as they are now, will more likely render the new Camaro dead on arrival. The Mustang is pretty solidly entrenched in the marketplace and while all vehicles that don't get exceptional MPG's will probably take something of a hit in sales, the Mustang will live on in one form or another.

The Camaro has very little "retro" look and the interior layout of the dash and drivers compartment is just plain ugly...in my opinion. While the Camaro will have some sales to diehard Chevy fans, I just can't see the general public getting excited enough about it, to boost it's sales enough for it to be around long in the current economic climate.

Just my $.02 worth....
Old 6/22/08, 09:03 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabre
As to the original question of this thread, I'm of the opinion that gas prices continuing as they are now, will more likely render the new Camaro dead on arrival. The Mustang is pretty solidly entrenched in the marketplace and while all vehicles that don't get exceptional MPG's will probably take something of a hit in sales, the Mustang will live on in one form or another.

The Camaro has very little "retro" look and the interior layout of the dash and drivers compartment is just plain ugly...in my opinion. While the Camaro will have some sales to diehard Chevy fans, I just can't see the general public getting excited enough about it, to boost it's sales enough for it to be around long in the current economic climate.

Just my $.02 worth....
I agree.
The Camaro and Challenger will sell to collectors and a few diehards.
The average Joe is now only talking about MPGs.
The pricepoint of the Mustang will help it survive also.
If they put the 4 cyl. turbo in the Camaro, it may survive.
260-hp 2.0L ECOTEC turbocharged, direct-injected engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and an EPA estimated 29 MPG hwy