General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Why buy a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/05, 11:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered a 06 GT. This is a very personal story but bear with me, I think its worth it.

It started for me when I was a young boy. I would say about 7-8. My dad was and is my biggest hero. He and my mother where body builders and as a kid I thought he was the incredible hulk. A big strong, moral dad a kid could be proud of.

I went to my grandparents farm every weekend for pretty much my whole life. On one occasion when I was very young, my grandpa pulled out a picture and said to my father "this one will bring back memories". The picture was of a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang, green. My dad had traded in his Roadrunner for a new Mustang and the picture was the first day he had bought it. My grandpa pulled out a couple more photos. One at an auto show, and the other on the street. The car had been transformed and my dad went on to tell me the stories that would fill my mind with the lust of muscle cars.

He took me upstairs after looking at the pictures for a bit(A place I never went and was never used) to a room dusty and what appeared to be unused for years. Inside stood 4 trophies, all from Independence Raceway. Trophies he had won on the strip. It was incredible. Not only was my dad the hulk, he had a rich history of complete badassedness that I never even knew exsisted. My dad told me about how loud the car was, how the earth shook when he started it, how he took it so fast a few times it actually frightened him, how after he modified it he had never been in a more powerful explosive machine.

The next question from me was obvious. What happend to that beautiful car. Well the answer was not to my liking. He going 95+ took a corner he could not handle and totaled the biggest investment he had made to that point. That was the last time ever drove a muscle car. He was devistated, and so was I....I wanted that car.

Over the next few years I obsessed over cars. Not just Fords, but all the ballsy brutes of the past. The 1971 Mach 1 though to me was a legend, my own elenor. When I turned 16 and got my liscense we went to go look at muscle cars. I wanted a mustang so bad I would do anything to get it, including trying to restore one not having a clue as to what it would take. Then we called the insurance man......and all of my dreams where crushed. I let it go and forgot about my dream of owning a car that could give me my own piece of history, a car that could tie me to the man that inspired me to be what I could and did anything in life to be the best father he could.

Fast forward to 2003-04. I see the concept car. I am stinked back in time looking at a modernized version of the body type I loved. The 68-72 years. I was in love, but 23 years old with insurance still out of reach, I didnt even think of it. Two years passed and my insurance with a good record brought the cost through the floor. Juuuuuuuuust out of curiosity I call my agent, and to my shock he quotes me 850 dollars a year. Then it started. Obsession all over leading to eventually ordering an 06 GT which I plan to cherish protect and hopefully hand down to my son or daughter some day.

To be honest though the most important thing is to recapture me and my fathers history, and bond. One thing we always shared and could talk about was cars. When I got him going talking about the old days he wouldnt stop, and I could see a flash of excitement in his eyes that he hadnt felt in a long time. He felt young again. My dad is now excited about the car. he loves the new cars, and even the responsible sensible dad is recommending me to get this car even though I could probably use a truck more. But this car is something more, its something with history and tradition that cannot be let go. One of the most important moments between a father and son is just around the corner. The day I go to get my car and my dad comes with me. The day I see the excitement in his eyes when we see it for the first time. The day that I give him a big hug and hand him the keys and watch his eyes light up when he turns over that engine for the first time in 30 years. The day that I will be honored to let the best dad in the world drive our car home.
Old 7/27/05, 01:32 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Knight@July 23, 2005, 3:57 PM
Yes the car was a 2001.

You can tell by the black headlights(new in 2001) and also the dotted shading in the front windshield above the rearview mirror (new design in 2001) and redesigned spoiler (new in 2001).

While I agree that the car is a 2001+, the dotted windshield is on my car and it is a 2000......

My story started when my Dad died and I inherited a bit of money. I had been looking at Mustangs (well, drooling over) for about two years. Then I suddenly had some money burning a hole in my pocket. A friend in the local car club decided he wanted a more sedate car, so sold me his 1972 351c Mustang! I loved that car, however, I didn't use it enough because of all the salt on the roads in fall/winter/spring. Added to the fact the car was plain dangerous in the wet . So it got sold in Jan 2004 and I was mustangless for 4 months until I decided to buy a late model as a daily driver and bought the 2000 I have now (and I wanted a Vert as well!). So that is my story in a nutshell.

The '72

the current one (although getting a bit bored of it, want more power....)
Old 7/28/05, 12:33 PM
GT Member

just because.
Old 7/28/05, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

My father and I never were really close. When I was in highschool, I started to get an intrest in cars. It wasn't much more than an intrest, but it was enough for my father and I to bond over it. Back then, we were Toyota lovers. We used to go to the Toyota lot and look at the new cars. It was mostly an increadible bonding experience.

In College, I met a friend with a 1998 Cobra Vert. I had never ridden in a car like that. While the exterior was never really that remarkable to me, the power was. That car made me feel ways I never knew I could.

On top of that, My uncle (through marriage) purchased a 1991 Ferrari Mondeal (SP? Pronounced Mahn-Day-All). After being in those 2 machines (and actually getting to DRIVE the ferrari a few times), I was sold on cars. My dad and I kindled a new love of everything automotive. A few years later, My rich uncle passed down some money to me. Well, not being smart enough at the time to invest that money or save it, I decided I wanted an old car, and I wanted to restore it.

Part of me hoped to bond with my father in new ways. I started looking and found an old 66 mustang that was a strait 6. It was pretty beaten up, but I saw potential. I baught the car. about a year later, I purchased a 302 motor off of a friend. I brought it home, and when my parents returned, it was in pieces on the garrage floor.

My father divulged later that in that moment he was in shock. He knew in his mind that there was no way I would ever get that engine in my car and make it run. Well, needless to say I did, and he was impressed. Since then, we LOVE talking about cars even more.

I also got married, and my lovely wife forced my hand on a new 2005 V6. I was worried about getting a family-type car, but she insisted we are young and have lots of time. So we baught it, and I must say that I love every inch of that car just the same as I love that 66 that still sits in my garage. I now have mustang fever, and all because I got a little money and took a gamble on a rusted out strait six. I also met my best friend at a car show that I took that 66 mustang to.

Life would sure be different had I never made that leap. I'm glad I did, because the fever is great to have!
Old 7/30/05, 12:13 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
when i first started getting into cars, i didnt know what i wanted. i went with the flow and kinda thought about (ok i actually wanted) a fat bodykit, a huge wing, stickers and just about every other ricer mod that i make fun of on a regular basis today. but when i got past the generic 'cool' cars and when i started paying attention to the names and logos on cars i learned something.

i saw a classic car, with the word "mustang" on the decklid. and from that moment i know, i HAD to have one. the sleekness, the elegance. it didnt NEED a spoiler or bodykit or any of that CRAP! it was darn sexy! and ever since then, i just couldnt help falling for every single generation of mustang (although it took me a while to learn to love the foxes and ghia IIs)

as years wen on (keep in mind i was 10-11 when this happened) i learned more and more about the mustang. i educated myself in a way i thought never possible (why the heck cant i learn chemistry the way i learned mustangs?!) being part of the mustang hobby has taught me so much, not just about cars, but all the other thngs in life that i've leanred from all the other great ppl in the hobby (particularlyfrom this site)

and then came that fateful day i saw my soon to be purchased mustang II on a classified ad online. it was 2 lines long. but was an original '76 cobra II, an often neglected car, or rather, era of cars and i was like "whoa, sounds cool" and from the moment the seller sent me pics, i was in love. like head over heels in love. 'i will not buy any other car' kind of love. so after 6 years of saving, waiting, and yearning for that car that i worshipped so, i finally got one. score!

since that day, i have been branded a ford guy. thats not to say i dont like other brands, but thers jus someting about a classic ford, especially a 'stang or 'rino or flacon, that i just dont see in any other car. these cars are like gods to me (no i dont do human sacrifices).

its safe to say the Ford mustang saved me from being just another kid who thought his civic was cool and helped me be someone who can appreciate old cars (and their motors ) for the artistic masterpeices that they are

and let me say this, b/c of all i have experienced on my road to getting where i am, and b/c of all the fun i know i will have building up this car, i know i will never give it up if i dont have to and that this will by no means be my last Ford Mustang.
Old 8/1/05, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

My turn...

"Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a Mopar guy"... now that that's out of the way, here's my story. Over the years, I've owned a bunch of cars (I think my 05 GT is my 32nd car... I've actually lost count!), a few of them being Mopar muscle. (Quick summary: 1975 Dart Sport 360, 1967 Barracuda, 1971 Demon 340, etc). When Chrysler went all front-wheel drive, I was lost and when I decided to retrain as an aircraft mechanic in 1999, I sold everything I had to finance college. After college, my familiar Mopars were gaining in value to a point where there was no way that I could afford one so I turned to sports cars and went through a Datsun 240Z, a Miata (that was begging for a 5.0L swap!) and a few Porsches (924S, 912 and a 911S) before the V8 bug came calling again. At this point, the 05 Mustang concepts and drawings were everywhere and I really loved the looks of the car. The 69 Mustang has always held a special place in my heart and wouldn't you know it that Ford was about to make that dream come true with the new car? Well, the minute the first 05s arrived at the local dealership, my butt was planted in the driver's seat of one and I loved it. Unfortunately, all the early cars were loaded and market-adjusted and I couldn't justify the price they were asking. Still, the seed was planted so I went out looking for a substitute... that being a Fox 5.0 LX notchback. I found a good 89 5-speed notchie with a bunch of nice mods (3.73s, centerforce clutch, etc) at a great price so I brought it home. That car put more smiles on my face than any other car I've ever owned, it was such a blast to drive. So, I was content with my 89 LX and life was good until my salesman called and told me that they'd just received a black 05 GT with a cloth interior and no other options. I went down to look at it that same evening and drove it home that night. I was in heaven! That is, until the gas and insurance bills started adding up... trying to feed two V8 'Stangs at over a buck a liter is tough and the insurance... yikes! So, I had to make a choice and the 5.0 was put out to pasture. I really regret selling that car now and if I could do it again, I'd have just parked it in the garage and left it sitting for a while. Oh well, hindsight is 20-20 and all that. At least the young guy I sold the car to is enjoying himself instead of ricing up some Civic... ugh.

So, yes, I'm a Mustang convert but better late than never, right? I plan on keeping this 05 until I'm cold in the ground. Of course, it may be joined by the promised 09 Challenger if doesn't turn out to be a minivan or something equally as horrible (like a 4 door sedan!).
Old 8/1/05, 10:21 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my bro had a 196? mustang coupe... followed by my mom having 2 foxbody hatchbacks.... it kinda runs in the blood i guess...
Old 8/1/05, 11:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by keoni@July 26, 2005, 11:44 PM
I just ordered a 06 GT. This is a very personal story but bear with me, I think its worth it.

It started for me when I was a young boy. I would say about 7-8. My dad was and is my biggest hero. He and my mother where body builders and as a kid I thought he was the incredible hulk. A big strong, moral dad a kid could be proud of.

I went to my grandparents farm every weekend for pretty much my whole life. On one occasion when I was very young, my grandpa pulled out a picture and said to my father "this one will bring back memories". The picture was of a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang, green. My dad had traded in his Roadrunner for a new Mustang and the picture was the first day he had bought it. My grandpa pulled out a couple more photos. One at an auto show, and the other on the street. The car had been transformed and my dad went on to tell me the stories that would fill my mind with the lust of muscle cars.

He took me upstairs after looking at the pictures for a bit(A place I never went and was never used) to a room dusty and what appeared to be unused for years. Inside stood 4 trophies, all from Independence Raceway. Trophies he had won on the strip. It was incredible. Not only was my dad the hulk, he had a rich history of complete badassedness that I never even knew exsisted. My dad told me about how loud the car was, how the earth shook when he started it, how he took it so fast a few times it actually frightened him, how after he modified it he had never been in a more powerful explosive machine.

The next question from me was obvious. What happend to that beautiful car. Well the answer was not to my liking. He going 95+ took a corner he could not handle and totaled the biggest investment he had made to that point. That was the last time ever drove a muscle car. He was devistated, and so was I....I wanted that car.

Over the next few years I obsessed over cars. Not just Fords, but all the ballsy brutes of the past. The 1971 Mach 1 though to me was a legend, my own elenor. When I turned 16 and got my liscense we went to go look at muscle cars. I wanted a mustang so bad I would do anything to get it, including trying to restore one not having a clue as to what it would take. Then we called the insurance man......and all of my dreams where crushed. I let it go and forgot about my dream of owning a car that could give me my own piece of history, a car that could tie me to the man that inspired me to be what I could and did anything in life to be the best father he could.

Fast forward to 2003-04. I see the concept car. I am stinked back in time looking at a modernized version of the body type I loved. The 68-72 years. I was in love, but 23 years old with insurance still out of reach, I didnt even think of it. Two years passed and my insurance with a good record brought the cost through the floor. Juuuuuuuuust out of curiosity I call my agent, and to my shock he quotes me 850 dollars a year. Then it started. Obsession all over leading to eventually ordering an 06 GT which I plan to cherish protect and hopefully hand down to my son or daughter some day.

To be honest though the most important thing is to recapture me and my fathers history, and bond. One thing we always shared and could talk about was cars. When I got him going talking about the old days he wouldnt stop, and I could see a flash of excitement in his eyes that he hadnt felt in a long time. He felt young again. My dad is now excited about the car. he loves the new cars, and even the responsible sensible dad is recommending me to get this car even though I could probably use a truck more. But this car is something more, its something with history and tradition that cannot be let go. One of the most important moments between a father and son is just around the corner. The day I go to get my car and my dad comes with me. The day I see the excitement in his eyes when we see it for the first time. The day that I give him a big hug and hand him the keys and watch his eyes light up when he turns over that engine for the first time in 30 years. The day that I will be honored to let the best dad in the world drive our car home.
I love this story. My dad and I weren't close and he wasn't a car guy but one day he came home with a new 67 (I was 19 at the time and we lived in San Francisco) Camaro convertible with the two speed hydroslush or what ever it was. I still liked it but the guy who lived next door to me had a green Mustang that I thought was great. If you have read any of my previous threads on this or any other pertinent topic you'll know it took a long time before I bought a Mustang. I won't rehash any stories on the "almost" 1970 Boss 302.

As much as I have enjoyed the car, I would have prefered a closer relationship with my dad. Sorry for the maudlin thoughts. I've just been missing the old guy lately. He's been gone for a while.