General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Where to buy a non ex-fleet used Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/18, 01:06 AM
boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy a non ex-fleet used Mustang?

Looking to buy 2015-2017 Ecoboost premium. Vehicles inventory at my local dealers is poor. All ex-lease/rentals/high mileage/accident history (disclosed and some not disclosed) cars. I am in Midwest/Dallas area.
I would prefer low mileage privately owned vehicles. I don't see any privately owned used cars at dealers, or on the car websites. What am I missing? Where are these sold? Any help appreciated.
Old 3/20/18, 01:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Ummm, that's a good question. Private owned Mustangs can be readily found in the southeast. Have you tried Autonation, or Mac Haik in you area? Big dealers like them should have some that were owned by plain old folks. That may not be much help, but you've got an odd dilemma there my friend. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Old 3/21/18, 01:56 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,017 Likes on 632 Posts
Have you tried Autotrader.com?? I put in your parameters of the year, 'private party', under 30k miles, and received 26 hits. That includes the entire country but some should be within a day's drive I would think. Make sure you exclude the dealerships in the checkboxes or you will get over 1,000 hits. Good luck with your search.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (3/22/18)
Old 3/26/18, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Private sales come with their own problems. What the industry calls curbsiders will declare a car clean private sale could end up a flood car. Make sure you use a service like Carproof to track the history. If it can’t be traced back to the original registration, don’t buy it.

When I worked at a small dealer, there were times when we’d bought “clean” cars that turned out to be rebuilt. One Taurus wagon looked pristine but when I pulled a taillight out to replace a bulb, the rear 1/4 panel was still full of silt from being submerged.

BTW, don’t be too dismissive of fleet cars. If you can find one from a small fleet where they can track use and service records you might be able to get a great deal.