General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Transmission fluid leak help

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/20, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid leak help

I have a 2008 Ford Mustang that I noticed is having a small transmission fluid leak.. I added more transmission fluid.. from the looks of it the leak is coming from this black box looking thing on the underside of my mustang.. and I’m having a problem figuring out what the actual part is.. so I am attaching photos.. if anyone has a clue will you shoot me some ideas??

This is my mystery part I was wondering if anyone had a clue what it is??

Old 5/19/20, 05:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
That is the HO2S (Oxygen sensor) connector box that runs under the transmission. It is electrical in nature and absolutely NOT the source of your leak: http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=248&f=Transmission.pdf

The overall look of it seems to be coming from the input shaft seal or perhaps the torque converter... somewhere in the bell housing... can't be sure, picture's are a little less than helpful in pinpointing. I'm afraid that the trasmission is probably going to need to come out to find and solve the problem, 'cause something definitely has let go.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to not be bearer of better news... but I hope that helps nonetheless.
Old 5/19/20, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE!!

Turns out the leak is coming from the transmission fluid filter gasket.. I replaced the fluid filter & gasket, & added 4 quarts of fluid to replace what was removed when I dropped the pan & removed the filter.. I also needed to adjust the gear selector cable linkage & TADA! No more problems.. I was just curious what exactly the box was.. Good to know it’s the Oxygen Sensor a Connector Box.. I appreciate your help for sure!!

And I’m happy to be a new member of the forum!! I absolutely LOVE my mustang.. She’s my baby... 😁

Originally Posted by houtex
That is the HO2S (Oxygen sensor) connector box that runs under the transmission. It is electrical in nature and absolutely NOT the source of your leak: http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=248&f=Transmission.pdf

The overall look of it seems to be coming from the input shaft seal or perhaps the torque converter... somewhere in the bell housing... can't be sure, picture's are a little less than helpful in pinpointing. I'm afraid that the trasmission is probably going to need to come out to find and solve the problem, 'cause something definitely has let go.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to not be bearer of better news... but I hope that helps nonetheless.