General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Tranny blown?

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/21, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny blown?

I have a auto 2005 Ford Mustang. As I was driving to the gas station at around 50 mph I lost all the gears in my car but 3rd and my od light was flashing. Only way it will drive is in 3rd also. Does this mean a blown tranny or something easy.
Old 7/23/21, 07:10 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
I don't believe anyone will be able to diagnose your tranny issue with so little info. Can you provide more details about your automatic tranny, like how many miles, has the fluid ever been changed or found too low? Normal use or track time involved? Any unusual noises recently? Fluid color still good? Even the details may not help enough but the more knowledgeable members here will offer better insight with more details.
Old 7/23/21, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
It's not easy... depending on what you define 'easy' to be of course. Me, it's not hard.. but not easy, being it'd be in my garage. At a shop what knows what they're doin', has the tools and knowhow? Sure, 'easy'.

Obi-Wan has entered the chat

Anyway, that's a decently not-good failure. The 5r55s can have solenoid pack, the valve body, the servos, fluid's bad and more be problems. The proper course of action is to take the transmission to a proper repair shop and have them fix it. Or, if you're inclined, look up FordTechMakuLoco on the MePipes and search his channel for '5r55'. He'll show you the various things the 5r55x (where 'x' is different, but same overall transmissions) can have go wrong and what is needed to fix. Maybe.

You might can also post whatever codes you can get out of the car, as the transmission should tell you with a code reader what's wrong, if it can read the transmission box that is.

It's *likely* the solenoid pack. Which is 'easy' (if you like dripping transmission fluid and being under a car working awkwardly 'easy' unless you have a lift then it's 'less awkwardly easy') as he'll show. Time consuming, messy, but 'easy'-ish.

But I'm waaaaay over here, so grains of salt, my friend. Grains of salt. I'd probably just take it to the proper place and pay 'em.

Hope that helps nonetheless, and welcome to the forums! Good luck!